Mobile broadband

Posted 29th Apr
Hi guys,

Bit of advice really. I'm currently with a local wireless provider and the speeds are around 5meg. Awful for HD streaming and gaming. I'm paying £25 and don't want to make a jump to the only fibre option in my area £46.

Are there any better mobile broadband alternatives you guys would recommend? 4G speeds in my area for all providers seem a lot better than my current option!!

Cheers 😁
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Get an unlimited sim and hotspot
Arto29/04/2020 10:48

Get an unlimited sim and hotspot

I thought that but the problem is that when I'm out the house, the kids won't get access to Internet. People have suggested buying a cheap 4G phone with mobile hot-spot option but wouldn't it be easier just getting a mifi device? I'm kinda new to this mobile broadband stuff.
Either a cheap 4G mobile or a 4G router but get a new sim with unlimited data
It may worth to get a proper 4G router

I used to recommend mifi as there were plenty of cheap second hand around.
Smartphone or smartphone+router, example hotukdeals.com/com…674
Decent Voda signal? Use above with no contract no credit check Voxi £10/m unlimited data SIM marketed as 6GB/8GB but unmetered until Voxi graduates counting college.
AndyRoyd29/04/2020 11:32

Smartphone or smartphone+router, example …Smartphone or smartphone+router, example https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/37786674Decent Voda signal? Use above with no contract no credit check Voxi £10/m unlimited data SIM marketed as 6GB/8GB but unmetered until Voxi graduates counting college.

Voxi unlimited data for £10? Thought they were £35?

I knew in the past they weren't counting data but now it seems its changed.
Edited by: "jeh12369" 29th Apr
jeh1236929/04/2020 11:38

Voxi unlimited data for £10? Thought they were £35?I knew in the past they …Voxi unlimited data for £10? Thought they were £35?I knew in the past they weren't counting data but now it seems its changed.

Multiple £10/m Voxi SIMs being used by my wider family and all still unlimited at time of this post late April 2020.
May be good / cheap time for you to see if your gamers can tolerate the higher latency of cellular BB.
Who is the only fibre provider in your area Op??
ArcadeAssassin29/04/2020 11:55

Who is the only fibre provider in your area Op??

KCOM in Hull. We can't get access to BT and other providers. £40 for 30Mbps wheres my sister 15 minutes away gets Vodafone for £22 with speeds over 50Mbps.
jeh1236929/04/2020 12:02

KCOM in Hull. We can't get access to BT and other providers. £40 for …KCOM in Hull. We can't get access to BT and other providers. £40 for 30Mbps wheres my sister 15 minutes away gets Vodafone for £22 with speeds over 50Mbps.

Well if nothing else, today i have learnt that the Hull area isn’t part of the national telephone network as it never joined it back in the day. The best i can say is go on broadbandchoices.co.uk and pop your postcode in and see what current mobile broadband deals come up. There is also satellite broadband but its not really any good for gaming due to latency.
ArcadeAssassin29/04/2020 12:12

Well if nothing else, today i have learnt that the Hull area isn’t part of …Well if nothing else, today i have learnt that the Hull area isn’t part of the national telephone network as it never joined it back in the day. The best i can say is go on broadbandchoices.co.uk and pop your postcode in and see what current mobile broadband deals come up. There is also satellite broadband but its not really any good for gaming due to latency.

That's one of the main reasons. Latency is awful, especially when my son plays FIFA. I'm not too tight with money but I refuse to get KCOM, or KCON as people call it in Hull. Really got us over a barrel.
What’s this hotspot I keep hearing about?

The only hotspot I know is not a good spot
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions