Groups
    EXPIRED

Mobile Broadband Help

What do I need to get started & what are the costs?

Was supposed to be having BT point installed today but they messed up & sent an engineer round just to connect the non-existent point!

Have cancelled my Virgin Phone & Broadband although I presume I could call them & say I've changed my mind as the disconnection date is mid June, just wondering what my options are for mobile broadband as a temporary solution until I can get BT installed.

7 Comments

Quickest & easiest way is to buy a pre-paid dongle (basically a usb stick with broadband capabilities). U buy these from CPWH or similar for one upfront payment (no contract) & cost from around £100-120 for the whole year. They give u approx 1GB of surfing per month (more than enuff providing u r not downloading songs/movies etc.). The dongle comes with easy to set up inxs & u s/b up & running with mobile BB within mins. The only complaint I've heard from people who r using these is that mobile BB can be very slow at times!

Original Poster

jeany123;5328451

http://www.littlewoodsdirect.com/rf/lxd/p.do/mobile-broadband-pay-and-go?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&SNtt=dongle&groupId=573891305&Nu=this_product&SNtk=littlewoods_search&Np=1&SN=101+85&Ntt=573891305&D=573891305&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&thisprod=573891305&N=101+85&Nty=1&Mis_item_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=573891305Don't know how much this is to run but somebody might

Thanks for that was looking at the O2 website itself so might be something to research further

sajsaleem;5328584

Quickest & easiest way is to buy a pre-paid dongle (basically a usb stick … Quickest & easiest way is to buy a pre-paid dongle (basically a usb stick with broadband capabilities). U buy these from CPWH or similar for one upfront payment (no contract) & cost from around £100-120 for the whole year. They give u approx 1GB of surfing per month (more than enuff providing u r not downloading songs/movies etc.). The dongle comes with easy to set up inxs & u s/b up & running with mobile BB within mins. The only complaint I've heard from people who r using these is that mobile BB can be very slow at times!

Really only need a month at the most as it wouldn't be viable for everyday use as we have a laptop & ps3 online most evenings so data use wouldn't be suitable. Need to work out whether to stay with Virgin & cancel BT, we went with BT so we can have the option of which broadband provider to choose because with Virgin it's Virgin or nothing. Got a few days to decide as BT say they will contact me in 2-3 days to arrange for the next visit so I could still cancel without any charges.

We have BT and have had no bother

Original Poster

jeany123;5328719

We have BT and have had no bother

Just really annoyed with them at the moment, I booked it on the 10th May for today & told them there is no BT point outside as we had an extension built 5 years ago & the BT point is now buried in the porch wall so it isn't accessible. (Haven't had BT connection for at least 8 years now)

I'm told it will take 2-3 days for the team that needs to come out to contact me to arrange a date but I'm back at work next week so won't be able to be in for a morning or afternoon visit. That's why I arranged it for this week as it's school holiday so I'm off & able to be around

Plus I was going to go with O2 for the broadband & their offer of 3 months free ends on the 31 May so I'm not going to be able to take that up now either! :x

Yes it's annoying when they ignore what you tell them, we must have been lucky.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Speccing a gaming pc410
      2. Fitting a wired doorbell advice needed11
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …713
      4. How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?47

See more discussions