Mobile butchers - how are they so cheap?

Found 26th Aug 2015
Noticed a mobile butchers on Facebook in my area doing ridiculously cheap meat deals. I'm taking stuff less than a quarter the price of even supermarkets. They're the big vans with a side counter based at markets with the guys with microphones. How do they sell meat so cheaply, it can't just be in reduced overheads.
Community Updates
18 Comments
It's human flesh...... oO
Very short dated surplus eu stock
I'm assuming that they buy animals and have them slaughtered, pack and sell themselves, or as a group. My parents, and most of my mates, did that when we were kids, animal slaughtered and frozen.
if they're doing it this way, they dont have to pay any overheads, apart from running the van, whereas the supermarket is covering various middlemen.
it'll be sold frozen, or for the freezer. its still good quality stuff.
ask him, he'll tell you.
All that horsemeat has to go somewhere now that Asda can't use it anymore
Most butchers are cheaper than supermarkets anyway!
Dyslexic_Dog

this is a fact but people don't realise, because in built up areas the supermarkets have forced out the local butcher / grocer
Dyslexic_Dog

And their meat is considerably tastier too.
dealpickle

And their meat is considerably tastier too.

Yeah its the earhole and bumhole that they stick in the minced meat. A guy I knew worked at a local award winning butchers and would never eat the pies or anything minced.
Graham1979

Yeah its the earhole and bumhole that they stick in the minced meat. A … Yeah its the earhole and bumhole that they stick in the minced meat. A guy I knew worked at a local award winning butchers and would never eat the pies or anything minced.

Is there any meat in a Hole?
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog

At full price they may shave it but supermarket meat offers are cheaper than any local butcher can go. Pretty much most butchers now get their meat in the same as supermarket butcher counters, vac packed with limited choice of cuts.
Someone going door to door selling stuff in a van? How many people in your area are saying they are stealing dogs? X)
Quality of meat from local butchers is miles better, not pumped full of water to make it look fresher
mk8

At full price they may shave it but supermarket meat offers are cheaper … At full price they may shave it but supermarket meat offers are cheaper than any local butcher can go. Pretty much most butchers now get their meat in the same as supermarket butcher counters, vac packed with limited choice of cuts.

Really depends on your local butcher, I know the ones I use only use local farmers and can get any cut of meat I require at a days notice. I worked on a butcher counter in 2 well known supermarket butchers an can tell you the meat is rubbish and very overpriced for what it is.

Mobile butcher meat is fine, and their prices reflect their overheads, no rent to pay on shop, no electricity to pay, very little stock retention and therefore little wastage. Think about it, they will go that morning and pick up a selection of meat they know they can shift that day, once its goen its gone. We have one at our local Sataurday market who has a great reputation, especially with fish.
Edited by: "Donkii" 27th Aug 2015
mikey_d

All that horsemeat has to go somewhere now that Asda can't use it anymore

As I recall several supermarkets were involved including Tesco, Iceland, Lidl and Aldi as well as Findus and Nestle
Original Poster
hairyboxxox

As I recall several supermarkets were involved including Tesco, … As I recall several supermarkets were involved including Tesco, Iceland, Lidl and Aldi as well as Findus and Nestle

Got some horse steaks from Musclefoods, yet to try though.
Original Poster
Donkii

Really depends on your local butcher, I know the ones I use only use … Really depends on your local butcher, I know the ones I use only use local farmers and can get any cut of meat I require at a days notice. I worked on a butcher counter in 2 well known supermarket butchers an can tell you the meat is rubbish and very overpriced for what it is. Mobile butcher meat is fine, and their prices reflect their overheads, no rent to pay on shop, no electricity to pay, very little stock retention and therefore little wastage. Think about it, they will go that morning and pick up a selection of meat they know they can shift that day, once its goen its gone. We have one at our local Sataurday market who has a great reputation, especially with fish.

Makes sense thanks.
Nothing like a good quality piece of supermarket meat that hits the pan and shrinks to a 1/3 of the size .
My local butchers has closed down, he said he just could not afford to run anymore, he said if he was to compete with the Supermarkets it would cost him an arm and a leg! How can you run with no leg? oO

He said it was all just getting on top of him as some of his suppliers were trying to take his eyes out. On top of that his best mate kept asking him for a hand to make the Sunday dinner. I mean, who eats hands for dinner? There will be nowt left of him the poor bloke if he kept on going, he closed down at just the right time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants