Found 18th Jan 2011
Does anybody know if i use my T-mobile contract phone when on holiday in Northern Ireland do the minutes/texts/data come off my price plan???

10 Comments

You know Northern Ireland is part of the UK right ???

Original Poster

yeah just wanted to double check b4 i get a shock

If you DO get charged, there is something very wrong.

Banned

It is still worth checking, i have seen ''excluding northern island'' a few times (even though it is uk as rightly said) i wouldnt even take someones word unless they can provide a link. RING THEM.

Original Poster

DangerGod

It is still worth checking, i have seen ''excluding northern island'' a … It is still worth checking, i have seen ''excluding northern island'' a few times (even though it is uk as rightly said) i wouldnt even take someones word unless they can provide a link. RING THEM.

tried calling but its like talking to a brick wall with there CS department. I'll check my plan on the site but the login section is down at the moment

You may get charged if you are near Derry or Newry or other border area as they pick up the southern networks in Eire,try and keep your phone on manual selection for network and check your phone display before answering or making a call to confirm you are still on UK network.If you are concerned you can ask your network provider for a temporary bar on roaming before you go so you can be sure of no surprises on your bill.

Original Poster

Bully

You may get charged if you are near Derry or Newry or other border area … You may get charged if you are near Derry or Newry or other border area as they pick up the southern networks in Eire,try and keep your phone on manual selection for network and check your phone display before answering or making a call to confirm you are still on UK network.If you are concerned you can ask your network provider for a temporary bar on roaming before you go so you can be sure of no surprises on your bill.

strange thing is it says i am on tmobile/orange network but has an "R" next to the signal. in Belfast so should be safe from the border thing

Banned

your bundle will include texts/calls to UK MOBILES

N.Ireland is UK

The R might be something to do with tmobile sharing 2g masks with orange.You will have no roaming concerns if you are only in Belfast.

Original Poster

thanks everyone.

just got this from there FAQ section:

Question

Why do I sometimes see a roaming icon or the word 'roaming' or another data roaming message on my screen when I text, send picture messages or use the internet?

Answer

Don’t worry, it’s just because you’ve gone onto another signal and your phone wrongly thinks that must mean that you’re abroad. But don’t worry, while you’re in the UK you’ll only be charged your normal rates, even if your phone tells you different.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I5 7600k vs i5 740011
    2. Computer upgrades89
    3. Invisalign dental braces in London22
    4. Whey protien629

See more discussions