Mobile cheque deposit

Posted 29th JunEdited by:"ran123ran"
I just discovered "mobile cheque deposit" with HSBC bank. I had a couple cheques waiting to be banked but did not want to venture into city centre to deposit in branch.

I came across "mobile cheque deposit" on hsbc app.
It was straight forward to use, you baiscally enter cheque value and take a couple of pics of cheque. Will always use that method now that I am aware of it as so convenient.

Just wanted to make people aware as may be of use but not sure if available with other banks too.

The cheques i deposited via the app yesterday were cleared this morning!
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

25 Comments
Halifax offer this as well
A couple companies do this,I think they all have a £500 limit per cheque,might worth checking that if you have any over that value.
Sc4mp029/06/2020 14:19

A couple companies do this,I think they all have a £500 limit per …A couple companies do this,I think they all have a £500 limit per cheque,might worth checking that if you have any over that value.

Barclays £1000

41243428-DhSda.jpg
Sc4mp029/06/2020 14:19

A couple companies do this,I think they all have a £500 limit per …A couple companies do this,I think they all have a £500 limit per cheque,might worth checking that if you have any over that value.

HSBC have £750 limit per day (no quantity limit) with a a limit of £500 for single cheque per day.
First Direct have also just launched this within the past week or so - its amazing!
fearona29/06/2020 14:23

Barclays £1000[Image]

Ah I stand corrected then,Lloyds and Starling which I have are a £500 limit. (Can see HSBC below is £500 as well)

NatWest don't offer the option at all.
markmc99929/06/2020 14:35

First Direct have also just launched this within the past week or so - its …First Direct have also just launched this within the past week or so - its amazing!

Where is the option to do mobile cheque banking on their app? Hubby has firstdirect but we can't find it.
Sadly Nationwide do not offer this, for anyone wondering...
Lloyds offer this too, just make sure you take the photo on a dark background or else they can reject it
Got this with Bank of Scotland too. Very handy as gran gives cheques out to family at Christmas.
ran123ran29/06/2020 15:04

Where is the option to do mobile cheque banking on their app? Hubby has …Where is the option to do mobile cheque banking on their app? Hubby has firstdirect but we can't find it.

Its very new so. make sure on most recent version, then, click in to the account and then tap the three dots at the top. The option is in there,
I found this out fee months back , it’s also the fastest way to get the money in your bank .

I deposit a cheque and money is in next day
ashmac29/06/2020 15:28

I found this out fee months back , it’s also the fastest way to get the m …I found this out fee months back , it’s also the fastest way to get the money in your bank . I deposit a cheque and money is in next day

So the cheque is cleared for next day and its in available funds?
markmc99929/06/2020 15:20

Its very new so. make sure on most recent version, then, click in to the …Its very new so. make sure on most recent version, then, click in to the account and then tap the three dots at the top. The option is in there,

Found it in the transactions screen - had to go in and press the plus button on bottom right of screen and found cheque deposit under "pay in cheque".
Hacked29/06/2020 15:08

Sadly Nationwide do not offer this, for anyone wondering...

Yeah I used to bank with Barclays and one of the banking options I miss from them, c'mon Nationwide, get with the times!
Included with fintech: Starling.
ran123ran29/06/2020 15:39

So the cheque is cleared for next day and its in available funds?

Yes , you add the cheque on Halifax and then goes pending , the next day the funds are there to spend
Edited by: "ashmac" 29th Jun
Been using this with Lloyds for quite a while now, and it works great. Definitely recommend giving it a try if your bank offers this service
All cheques should now clear the following working day after they are submitted for clearing...the industry has moved to the new Image Clearing System for cheque processing, and the old 'paper based' system which took days to clear has been retired. Not all banks offer mobile deposit, but even those that don't are now scanning cheques to clear them through ICS, some (I believe Nationwide inc) allow you to deposit via an ATM and it scans the cheque.
cosmicdav330/06/2020 11:30

All cheques should now clear the following working day after they are …All cheques should now clear the following working day after they are submitted for clearing...the industry has moved to the new Image Clearing System for cheque processing, and the old 'paper based' system which took days to clear has been retired. Not all banks offer mobile deposit, but even those that don't are now scanning cheques to clear them through ICS, some (I believe Nationwide inc) allow you to deposit via an ATM and it scans the cheque.

RBS, Santander etc have offered the ATM option for a while - the problem is that the app doesn't necessarily do it. In the case of where I live, Santander closed the branch about a year ago, and the RBS machines that do allow cheque payments are inside the branch. As they are currently discouraging visits to the branch this is a bit of an issue. (Nearest Santander is now 15 or so miles away iirc)
cosmicdav330/06/2020 11:30

All cheques should now clear the following working day after they are …All cheques should now clear the following working day after they are submitted for clearing...the industry has moved to the new Image Clearing System for cheque processing, and the old 'paper based' system which took days to clear has been retired. Not all banks offer mobile deposit, but even those that don't are now scanning cheques to clear them through ICS, some (I believe Nationwide inc) allow you to deposit via an ATM and it scans the cheque.

Good to know. I have some cheques that are over 6 months old, will give them a whirl on mobile deposit to see if they clear.
alg30/06/2020 11:51

RBS, Santander etc have offered the ATM option for a while - the problem …RBS, Santander etc have offered the ATM option for a while - the problem is that the app doesn't necessarily do it. In the case of where I live, Santander closed the branch about a year ago, and the RBS machines that do allow cheque payments are inside the branch. As they are currently discouraging visits to the branch this is a bit of an issue. (Nearest Santander is now 15 or so miles away iirc)

It may be worth you looking in to setting up an account with someone like Starling bank - can be set up online in a few minutes and they offer mobile cheque deposit. Could have them paid in today and funds available tomorrow without having to leave your house. Once in the Starling account you could then transfer funds to another account?
cosmicdav330/06/2020 12:01

It may be worth you looking in to setting up an account with someone like …It may be worth you looking in to setting up an account with someone like Starling bank - can be set up online in a few minutes and they offer mobile cheque deposit. Could have them paid in today and funds available tomorrow without having to leave your house. Once in the Starling account you could then transfer funds to another account?

I wasn't saying I need to - just pointing out that some financial institutions are falling behind in the tech side (banking has always been like that though). But other options are always worth considering.
alg30/06/2020 12:09

I wasn't saying I need to - just pointing out that some financial …I wasn't saying I need to - just pointing out that some financial institutions are falling behind in the tech side (banking has always been like that though). But other options are always worth considering.

Completely agree, but more than likely all down to cost, resources and time...do you spend money developing a mobile deposit solution for the declining cheque market, or invest the same money elsewhere in fraud prevention etc which will long term provide better value to you as a bank. The banks didn’t want to fund the move to image based cheque clearing, their hand was forced by govt, they wanted to retire cheques all together!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants