EXPIRED

Mobile contract nearly up!!! upgrade or simplicity???

My mobile phone contract is coming to an end in 4 weeks, been looking about at all the new phones coming out and there aint really anything i fancy, until maybe later in the summer. I recently bought a Nokia 6220 classic and had planned on just taking a Simplicity Sim at £15pm (currently paying £35pm).

But having looked at what people are currently being offered by O2 retentions, (£18pm on an 18 month contract for 600mins and unlimited texts with free internet bolt on is being quoted), i'm starting to think....... Would i be as well taking a new phone and a contract at that price if they offer me it anyway? I dunno if just simply phoning up and saying i want a simplicity sim is a wise thing to do as this is THE best time for me to take out a new contract.

What would you do?

16 Comments

Do what my colleagues at work do. Take the best spec option and flog it unused for pure profit. Of course you are tying yourself in to the next contract period by doing that (which is why they offer upgrades) but if you're happy with your phone and the Service Provider it's a good money-spinner.

At then end of my 18 month orange contract there was nothing pretty good available out there. So ive taken out an o2 symplicity tarriff for when i good deal does come out,. By that time i hope to haggle a good deal outtta o2 anyway. You dont wanna be tied to a new contract to a phone you're not too keen on when theres gonna be a few out in the summer i think. Thats what im doing anyway,

Faiza;4557310

At then end of my 18 month orange contract there was nothing pretty good … At then end of my 18 month orange contract there was nothing pretty good available out there. So ive taken out an o2 symplicity tarriff for when i good deal does come out,. By that time i hope to haggle a good deal outtta o2 anyway. You dont wanna be tied to a new contract to a phone you're not too keen on when theres gonna be a few out in the summer i think. Thats what im doing anyway,

I have so many spelling mistakes there!! Sorry!

Phone and tell them your leaving and that another network is offering you something better... they might crumble and give you a great deal!

I'd suggest taking the Simplicity option. I'm leaving T-Mobile at the end of this month to go on a Simplicity 30-day contract. That means in the summer when the good phones come out I can just upgrade 30 days later rather than waiting another 14 months in a contract...

It's different for every individual, but for me that seems the best course of action...

Original Poster

Rover25;4557604

I'd suggest taking the Simplicity option. I'm leaving T-Mobile at the end … I'd suggest taking the Simplicity option. I'm leaving T-Mobile at the end of this month to go on a Simplicity 30-day contract. That means in the summer when the good phones come out I can just upgrade 30 days later rather than waiting another 14 months in a contract...It's different for every individual, but for me that seems the best course of action...

I know that but what i'm saying is, when you upgrade you usually get a disounted tariff that you cant simply get in a shop or online, so if i choose to upgrade after threatening to leave i could be paying around £18pm for a £30pm contract, if i do as you say, i'll have no option but to take the advertised prices, thus doing myself out of a discounted deal for 18 months!

I might just let my contract run for another few months and then phone em up to cancel when theres a phone i fancy on the market

makershaker;4558176

I know that but what i'm saying is, when you upgrade you usually get a … I know that but what i'm saying is, when you upgrade you usually get a disounted tariff that you cant simply get in a shop or online, so if i choose to upgrade after threatening to leave i could be paying around £18pm for a £30pm contract, if i do as you say, i'll have no option but to take the advertised prices, thus doing myself out of a discounted deal for 18 months!I might just let my contract run for another few months and then phone em up to cancel when theres a phone i fancy on the market

You missed my point. Let's put it this way - you say you may let you're contract run for a few months until you see a phone on the market you like. Say that's 5-6 months you let it run, you'll end up paying £175-£210 in this period [5monthsx£35 = £175]. Where as if you take the Simplicity out for this time you spend £75-£90 if you opt for the £15 sim. Thats saving you a minimum of £100.

The simplicity is only a 30-days contract, basically you can take it out and cancel the following month. Why tie yourself down for £18 a month for 18 months when you can get a good deal in the summer on the new wave of phones?

The money saved by simplicty in the short run would probably not equate to the extra value you will receive on a retention deal offered on the basis that the OP is on a £35 per month contract.

The upgrade on a simplicty tarrif (£15 a month without a phone?) would probably be pretty ******.

titley;4558585

The money saved by simplicty in the short run would probably not equate … The money saved by simplicty in the short run would probably not equate to the extra value you will receive on a retention deal offered on the basis that the OP is on a £35 per month contract. The upgrade on a simplicty tarrif (£15 a month without a phone?) would probably be pretty ******.

Why go for a good deal on a phone that you don't really want and be tied in for 18months OR lower the monthly spend, stick with the current phone for a few months longer and then get a good deal on a new phone that takes your interest?

I'm not trying to create and arguement, just wanting to explain my reasoning behind what I am suggesting.

I see, what he is saying. At the moment, he is on a £35 a month contract, and, if he tries to leave, he could get it for £18 a month. If he does leave, and then go back again in the summer, he is not going to be able to get a retentions deal, so will be paying £35 again.

I think it would be best to simply downgrade your existing package for a few months, so that you are still able to negotiate a retentions deal when a phone appears on the market that you like.

Are there any good phones in the pipeline for this summer? My contract is due for renewal in the Summer with Orange currently pay £17pm for a £35pm package, and would like a touch phone.

I don't think he would be seen as leaving as he's just essentially swapping tariffs as he is currently with O2. I could see the point if he was going for a T-Mobile Solus sim (which do technically seem the best deal - poor customer retention value though).

I really got my heart set on a C905 but things never went as planned with t-mobile so I decided not to upgrade. I do like the look of the new Sony Ericsson 'Idou' - 12.1 MP camera that is a touch screen. Not a touch screen kinda person but that seriously looks good.

engadget.com/200…on/

Original Poster

peodude;4559120

I see, what he is saying. At the moment, he is on a £35 a month contract, … I see, what he is saying. At the moment, he is on a £35 a month contract, and, if he tries to leave, he could get it for £18 a month. If he does leave, and then go back again in the summer, he is not going to be able to get a retentions deal, so will be paying £35 again.I think it would be best to simply downgrade your existing package for a few months, so that you are still able to negotiate a retentions deal when a phone appears on the market that you like.Are there any good phones in the pipeline for this summer? My contract is due for renewal in the Summer with Orange currently pay £17pm for a £35pm package, and would like a touch phone.

Samsung Omnia HD looks an absolute belter!

gsmarena.com/sam…php

It's more to do with the value of the tariff, so if you swap to simplicity the handset's offered on upgrade will be inline with the £15 per month price. Personally I would ring them up and see what they offer, and then decide.

Remember even if you are through to retentions and they don't make you a better offer you can still cancel the disconnection request.

Rover25;4559501

I don't think he would be seen as leaving as he's just essentially … I don't think he would be seen as leaving as he's just essentially swapping tariffs as he is currently with O2. I could see the point if he was going for a T-Mobile Solus sim (which do technically seem the best deal - poor customer retention value though).I really got my heart set on a C905 but things never went as planned with t-mobile so I decided not to upgrade. I do like the look of the new Sony Ericsson 'Idou' - 12.1 MP camera that is a touch screen. Not a touch screen kinda person but that seriously looks good.http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/15/sony-ericsson-idou-first-eyes-on/

Sorry to go off thread a little, but I am looking to go for a sim only package and was going to go for the O2 deal. Do you think the T-Mobile one is better?

Amen to that. 18 months is ridiculous. And 24 months to get the iphone for free is insane!

I'm having the same dilemma, contract is up on May 14th with 02

Thing is they never offer me any good deals, I've been with them for years, although I've never explicitly said 'I'm leaving'. I'll be doing that this time.

There aren't actually any good phones out that I really want, so maybe the simplicity thing is the way to go.

I take it if you go simplicity then phone up and say I want to cancel they probably won't offer you a good retention deal?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763884
    2. What an absolute disgrace2148
    3. Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"2030
    4. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2447

See more discussions