Mobile for disabled man

Posted 22nd Oct
This is a long shot as I can't really see a solution but...

I know a man who has broke his mobile phone, he uses a big button phone and doesn't want to use a touchscreen phone. The problem is the USB port, they use micro USB and he mangled it very quickly.

Luckily he had a cradle with the phone so he used that for a week or so and managed to damage the pins that connect and charge the phone, so it no longer charges with that either.

I am able to charge his battery using a spare phone I have but I only see him once a week and it's not ideal.

I think a USB C type port might be OK for him but no cheap big button phones use them. He mentioned the old barrel jack plug connectors but phones haven't used them for years.

I don't think there is much else I can recommend other than letting a carer plug it in but I'm pretty sure he will ignore or forget the advice.

I have tried a magnetic micro usb cable where the end stays in the phone all the time but he didn't like it for some reason.

Thanks for any ideas!
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Wireless charger.
A wireless charger is definitely the way to go even if it means changing his phone to one that is compatible.
I think wireless chargers are only for touchscreen phones though? And usually the more expensive ones? I will have a look perhaps I could get him to get a touch screen phone, not sure if I can convince him to spend £300+ on a phone though!

Just had a look and the Galaxy S6 and S7 have wireless charging, around £100-125 for the S6 refurbs on eBay so it's a possibility.
Edited by: "Zek" 22nd Oct
Zek22/10/2019 23:06

I think wireless chargers are only for touchscreen phones though? And …I think wireless chargers are only for touchscreen phones though? And usually the more expensive ones? I will have a look perhaps I could get him to get a touch screen phone, not sure if I can convince him to spend £300+ on a phone though!Just had a look and the Galaxy S6 and S7 have wireless charging, around £100-125 for the S6 refurbs on eBay so it's a possibility.

You can cheaply add it to most USB phones, it adds an external coil to the back of the phone but as long as its kept in a case that's OK.

38730831-rzoAB.jpg
Zek22/10/2019 23:06

I think wireless chargers are only for touchscreen phones though? And …I think wireless chargers are only for touchscreen phones though? And usually the more expensive ones? I will have a look perhaps I could get him to get a touch screen phone, not sure if I can convince him to spend £300+ on a phone though!Just had a look and the Galaxy S6 and S7 have wireless charging, around £100-125 for the S6 refurbs on eBay so it's a possibility.

Plus the Galaxy S6 (along with most Samsung smartphones) has something called Easy Mode which replicates a big button phone So everything is much larger and easier to use.
Edited by: "jamie15" 22nd Oct
You can buy micro usb to usb type c adapter s
adamderak22/10/2019 23:49

You can buy micro usb to usb type c adapter s

I don't think that would be the best solution, adaptors are more hassle.
dcx_badass22/10/2019 23:44

You can cheaply add it to most USB phones, it adds an external coil to the …You can cheaply add it to most USB phones, it adds an external coil to the back of the phone but as long as its kept in a case that's OK.[Image]

do you have a link for these?
thomasleep23/10/2019 00:00

do you have a link for these?

Just search wireless charger receiver on your website of choice.
I bought my grandma a doro flip phone, big buttons, simple to use and pretty her one has a cradle option for charging or lead. Pretty cheap and had for years, only complaint is after 5 years needed new battery but was cheap and easy fix. If that’s no good I’m pretty sure some old second hand Nokia phones have docking chargers, maybe on eBay you could find one second hand but doesn’t have as big buttons as doro.
Thanks for the ideas..
I have a feeling he would somehow break a flip phone - I'm not sure how he would do it but I'm sure he would find a way!
I was amazed that he broke his cradle, it fit the phone snugly and you couldn't really wiggle it about but the 2 metal contacts had sharp ends when I examined it, a part must have broke off and it wasn't connecting to the phone anymore. The phone had scratch marks along the bottom too, so he must have wiggled it a lot trying to get it to work. It is a big button alba phone from argps.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants