Mobile from China - Fault - Warranty Issue - Repair - Postage - Banggood.com

Edited by:"7777777"Found 18th Nov 2017
Hi

I am looking for some advice, maybe someone dealt with similar problem.

A few months ago I bought Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Global) from Banggood.com. I love this phone, it is perfect for my needs. I paid for this phone just over £100 via Credit Mastercard.

Unfortunately, a few days ago the phone developed fault, the call speaker volume lowered to the level I can no longer have conversation unless the headset or loudspeaker are being used.I suspect this is a hardware problem.
I have reinstalled the ROM (official, Global Stable, the bootloader is locked), did factory reset but the issue is still there.

I am in touch with Banggood, they reply to my emails so far , they requested me to provide video showing the issue ( that was challenging, believe me ), looks like they have now accepted I have got a faulty phone.

Banggood further suggested fixing this the phone locally and stated that costs up to the value of 28USD (upon receipt) would be reimbursed. This however, automatically voids any further warranty for this phone.

£20 won't be enough, especially invoiced, unauthorised repair and no warranty does not appeal to me. I asked for other option and was told that I can send the phone to China for a repair. I am ok to do so, even though it may take up to 3 months !!! and I would be liable for the costs of postage, the issue is that sending lithium batteries to China according to Royal Mail rules is prohibited ( the phone has non removable battery).

Did anyone face similar problem, dealt with Banggood, sent phone to China for a repair? Obviously, I won't attempt to mislead the customs and try sending the phone as something different than it is.

Any help will be appreciated.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

Sorry I can't offer any help, only to say I suspect most people just take the hit and buy another one, even if you manage to send it back it won't be tracked to the door so they could just claim you never returned it.

Could you ask them if they will knock 20usd off of a new phone?

Hope somebody else has some decent suggestions for you.

I posted an Elephone S7 back to Gearbest using Royal Mail service. Cost about £12-£13. Arrived within 11-12 days.

Now being repaired

Original Poster

Gollywood23 m ago

I posted an Elephone S7 back to Gearbest using Royal Mail service. Cost …I posted an Elephone S7 back to Gearbest using Royal Mail service. Cost about £12-£13. Arrived within 11-12 days.Now being repaired

Thanks for your replies.

Do you remember how did you declare it ? Did it go as a phone and insured to the full value.

The cost is not really the biggest issue, it's the Royal Mail web stating that sending any electronic device containing lithium is strictly prohibited. It's fine in the UK as long as the packet is properly packed (this is so called restricted good here) but the international shipping to China is very clear :

''Prohibited products are not permitted in the mail under any circumstances.

• Lithium batteries and equipment containing lithium batteries
  • Lithium batteries (including within an item) ''

777777714 m ago

Thanks for your replies.Do you remember how did you declare it ? Did it go …Thanks for your replies.Do you remember how did you declare it ? Did it go as a phone and insured to the full value. The cost is not really the biggest issue, it's the Royal Mail web stating that sending any electronic device containing lithium is strictly prohibited. It's fine in the UK as long as the packet is properly packed (this is so called restricted good here) but the international shipping to China is very clear :''Prohibited products are not permitted in the mail under any circumstances.Lithium batteries and equipment containing lithium batteries....Lithium batteries (including within an item) ''

Honestly, I didn't state it was a phone! It arrived anyway so thats the main thing. The alternative was for Gearbest to offer me $25 off my next order! NO WAY. The phone cost £168!

Original Poster

32469341-eDfgq.jpg
I have sent email to Royal Mail for clarification but do not hold much hope.
Edited by: "7777777" 18th Nov 2017

Who said buy a mobile from china? Didn't you think it could go faulty?
Ask the seller if they need the battery as thats the only question post office will ask. Pack the mobile in a parcel and get the quote for sending it, maybe you can ask for posting refund from the seller or even go halfs.

Unless I'm misunderstanding that image shows that a phone with an integrated battery CAN be sent, which is what yours has isn't it?

Original Poster

clairekearns15 m ago

Unless I'm misunderstanding that image shows that a phone with an …Unless I'm misunderstanding that image shows that a phone with an integrated battery CAN be sent, which is what yours has isn't it?

Correct but the China specific conditions seems different, RM will hopefully give the ultimate answer. Thanks.

Original Poster

decided not to post it to China, accepted 20% refund and fixed the phone myself, new ear speaker cost £2.40 delivered and only because i wanted to get it quick. Shipped from China would cost me less than £1. Result.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions