Mobile insurance

Found 11th AugEdited by:"Quicklite"
Hi guys,

Quick phone related question. Got a mobile upgrade in October. Say you're considering a decent mobile on contract (say a P20 Pro). It's obviously not cheap, and insurance can be bought at say £10pm.

Currently using a ZUK Z2 a long time ago (£140 or sometimes - used for 1.5 year now) - for me a phone is just a phone; though P20 is probably a notable upgrade - will probably want to insure it in case it's dropped.

Would you get that insurance? or would you already have home / content insurance to cover it? Or would you just use it without?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
deleted1132166
Best value is to get a package bank account. For £13 a month nationwide gives you phone insurance for several phones , travel insurance and aa recovery
34691863-vJ2sG.jpg
deleted113216611th Aug

Best value is to get a package bank account. For £13 a month nationwide …Best value is to get a package bank account. For £13 a month nationwide gives you phone insurance for several phones , travel insurance and aa recovery[Image]

Co-op account is better. There isn't any excess on the mobile insurance and possibly on the travel as well.
deleted1132166
cossy310 m ago

Co-op account is better. There isn't any excess on the mobile insurance …Co-op account is better. There isn't any excess on the mobile insurance and possibly on the travel as well.

Are you sure, just checked. £75 excess.
The nationwide is £2 a month cheaper. Also if you have £2500 savings pays 3,% monthly interest every month.
Which if my maths is correct is roughly £6 a month .
Equates too potentially paying just £7 a month'.
Forget phone insurance. Buy a good case like an otter box or survivor case. They cost between £20-30 and can last up to 2 years. If your phone gets stolen and it’s worth a lot claim off your house insurance (check you have coverage for it first). With those cases I’ve never broken a screen or phone and I’ve had some pretty big drops including iphone bouncing down the full set of stairs along the hall and slamming into the front door and bouncing back to the bottom of the stairs. Phone and case was unmarked and fully operational.

£10 a month is £240 across a 2 year phone contract. Screens cost up to £100 on most models (some can be dearer).

£15 a month is £360 across a 2 year contract.

Is it really worth it? If your still worried pay the £10 or £15 into a savings account and buy a case.
I have the tech insurance with my bank barclays even though I've read terrible reviews still works out cheaper than anywhere else.
Or don't buy an overpriced flagship with extra CPU power , ram and screen resolution that you wont notice in daily use compared to a midrange handset at around £200

Don't insure it and the money saved would cover the cost of a replacement should you ever need to replace it....
cmdr_elito8 h, 59 m ago

Forget phone insurance. Buy a good case like an otter box or survivor …Forget phone insurance. Buy a good case like an otter box or survivor case. They cost between £20-30 and can last up to 2 years. If your phone gets stolen and it’s worth a lot claim off your house insurance (check you have coverage for it first). With those cases I’ve never broken a screen or phone and I’ve had some pretty big drops including iphone bouncing down the full set of stairs along the hall and slamming into the front door and bouncing back to the bottom of the stairs. Phone and case was unmarked and fully operational.£10 a month is £240 across a 2 year phone contract. Screens cost up to £100 on most models (some can be dearer).£15 a month is £360 across a 2 year contract. Is it really worth it? If your still worried pay the £10 or £15 into a savings account and buy a case.

But who really wants a case on their shiny new ultra thin phone which is 5 times the size of the phone?? Not me that's for sure, I'd rather insure it if it breaks.

Also, with regards to screen replacements, the latest phones have screens which cost around £250 or more to replace so insurance of some kind is vital IMO
Edited by: "bobdylan" 11th Aug
bobdylan19 m ago

But who really wants a case on their shiny new ultra thin phone which is 5 …But who really wants a case on their shiny new ultra thin phone which is 5 times the size of the phone?? Not me that's for sure, I'd rather insure it if it breaks.Also, with regards to screen replacements, the latest phones have screens which cost around £250 or more to replace so insurance of some kind is vital IMO

I personally buy a phone for what it does rather than how it looks. Perhaps if everyone was less shallow and worried less about looks and more about what’s inside the world would be a nicer and less expensive.

Most insurances given second hand replacement handsets now and have quite large excesses so they really aren’t worth it!
Thanks for the message.

Guess I'll re-think the buying an expensive phone (they all depreciate 30-50% within a year - unless it's the iPhone which costs ££££), will replace Z2 with a modern version from China. Get a case and put the money saved into the piggy bank.
Edited by: "Quicklite" 11th Aug
cmdr_elito19 h, 17 m ago

I personally buy a phone for what it does rather than how it looks. …I personally buy a phone for what it does rather than how it looks. Perhaps if everyone was less shallow and worried less about looks and more about what’s inside the world would be a nicer and less expensive.Most insurances given second hand replacement handsets now and have quite large excesses so they really aren’t worth it!

Unfortunately you are definitely in the minority which is why the phone makers bring out a shiny new one every year!
bobdylan4 h, 31 m ago

Unfortunately you are definitely in the minority which is why the phone …Unfortunately you are definitely in the minority which is why the phone makers bring out a shiny new one every year!

Doubt it phone sales are falling even iPhones. Phone makers putting up prices to compensate.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 12th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants