Groups

Mobile internet - T-Mobile or 3 Network?

Does anyone have experience of using the mobile internet service on both of these networks? I've been using T-Mobile's web'n'walk to access the internet on my internet tablet and just coming to the end of my contract and would like to increase my internet speed on the move.

I don't have any 3 access problems where I live or work (had a contract with them until Oct) and it's great being able to use your inclusive minutes in countries with 3 networks.

I'll need a new HSDPA enabled phone but was reading on a forum about the basic web'n'walk package not being HSDPA? Can anyone confirm this?

I also have a Vodafone contract coming to an end in 2 months but am I right in thinking they don't have anything similar which is competitive?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I'm planning to go to a T-Mobile store tomorrow and trying to arm myself with knowledge beforehand!

8 Comments

Apparently anyone who signed up after september last year on web'n'walk didnt get hsdpa enabled. It was for the plus services and above, but a lot of people do get it still and its always worth a phonecall to customer services. Unless its a web only tarrif if you gonna use it in a tablet be careful because tethering as its only "allowed" on the plus and maxi option. You can get away with it for a while but if they notice depending on how much data your using they will let you know. 3 use T-mobiles internet service over here so your speed should be the same really.

Original Poster

Thanks for the very useful advice. I've been on web'n'walk since May 2007 so there's a question I'll need to ask. I've never had any problems using my w'n'w on my tablet (so far at least!) - it's connected all day picking up emails and I probably only browse the internet for a max of 10 minutes at lunch time on it.
    I hadn't realised that 3 use T-Mobile's internet service.
    Thanks again.

Have you got an online account with t-mobile? you can check there in your account details if you have the hsdpa uplink. You should have no problems using your tablet like that, i had a modem for my laptop and i changed to the plus service so they didnt complain about me using the sim card in it. 3 might not use it everywhere but i know they share masts with t-mobile in certain area's.

Vodafone is the fastest having tried the three version

Original Poster

Hmmmm, I can't see anything about hdspa on my online service. I'd better give them a call...
    Thanks

In mine its under.....My price plan>Review plan and services>HSDPA 384k uplink

Banned

I use my WnW T-Moblie phone on my laptop and its definately HSDPA enabled. The phone even shows when its accessing H or 3G.

My contract is up in 6 weeks time - and want to just get a dongle for the laptop instead of using the phone. I'm happy enough with T-Mobile for Internet - but I aint gonna be using them for my phone access. Would prefer to use O2 - but their internet pricing is pants.

I bought a 3 payg mobile broadband dongle last month. I have had no problems with it and signal strength majority of time is hsdpa even on motorway though there are times when not - i travel by coach so am not driving and surfing!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…67
      2. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE33
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764320
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism814

See more discussions