mobile mechanic suggestion

Posted 23rd Apr 2019
Hi ,

I broke down my BMW (320, petrol, manual, 2010 make, 57000 miles). The car showed Oil warning and then start knocking before grey smoke started coming from exhaust when we stopped. I just want to check if there is a good mobile mechanic that can come home to check & fix if possible that you can recommend?
We live around North West London (close to Wembley/Harrow/Ruislip/Southall area)

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
deleted1080215
It doesn't sound good. Sounds like oil has stopped lubricating for some reason. Either you let it get to Low without topping it up, or there's been a catastrophic failure of pump or a breach of oil pipes. A mobile mechanic would probably not undertake that sort of work at the roadside.
So the Oil Light came on and you decided to just keep going until it all grinded to a halt, Dont think you need a Mobile Mechanic more of a case of a new Engine and a deep wallet.
zirk23/04/2019 15:07

So the Oil Light came on and you decided to just keep going until it all …So the Oil Light came on and you decided to just keep going until it all grinded to a halt, Dont think you need a Mobile Mechanic more of a case of a new Engine and a deep wallet.

no, because i didnt drive even 15seconds after the warning light.. everything happened quick and i responded thinking of bigger danger to my family and surrounding cars.. in any case, if you have any suggestion for mobile mechanic then it will be very helpful.. thank you
NoddyBoy14 m ago

no, because i didnt drive even 15seconds after the warning light.. …no, because i didnt drive even 15seconds after the warning light.. everything happened quick and i responded thinking of bigger danger to my family and surrounding cars.. in any case, if you have any suggestion for mobile mechanic then it will be very helpful.. thank you

Well it that case m glad to hear it and take it all back, doing what youve done may have saved the day. did you put more Oil back in, possibly overfilled it, that may account for the smoke, other side of the coin is lack of Oil which would have quickly caused over heating and knocking, possible Head Gasket. another possibility is Turbo has gone tits up, or burst oil pipe somewhere and it dumped its oil. But a word of warning sometimes if the Oil Light comes on permently it could be too late anyway.

Cant help with Mobile Mech, but try and find someone who knows BMW's inside out. What ever you do now is dont be tempted to drive it anywhere, even if a Garage says, yea, drive to us.
Edited by: "zirk" 23rd Apr 2019
I know you are more than likely not that silly but for goodness sake, don't even attempt to turn the engine over again - at least until it has been looked at. If there's no oil and you turn the engine over for just a second - it's game over. So many people forget themselves after the "bang" and try and re-crank the engine.

Has it been a while since you did an oil check and have you noticed any puddles of oil in your drive/garage etc?

Sorry I can't be of more help as I'm not in your area but I hope you can get it all sorted out quickly and inexpensively.

Regards, Phsy.
And if you do manage to find someone to look at it, dont let them start the car unless they are 100% confident that the Oil and Water levels are what they should be.

If in doubt and they look as though they just want to start her up, just point something at them whislt shouting "Move away from the Car !"
deleted67360
I would call a priest! You will probably need a new engine
deleted6736023/04/2019 16:35

I would call a priest! You will probably need a new engine

lol... cant believe even in this situation i am enjoying good jokes
I would probably get it recovered if you now a garage anyway that you use regularly. Don't you have any breakdown cover . Recovery is around £40. Where I live for upto 15-20miles. Probably abit more in London. Some people ask friends or family with breakdown cover too get it towed if you think that's ok you may do that.
Where do you normally take the car for servicing?

If you have at home cover call your breakdown service up and ask them to take it to your usual garage, one that you know and trust already.

If you don't have at home cover call the garage, they might have a low loader or towbar to colelct it.
ClickMechanic or a decent burial might help
Have a look at Honest John's Good Garage Guide (Daily Telegraph) for a recommendation.
37518840-GIb9N.jpg
37518868-WEQhc.jpg
NoddyBoy5 h, 41 m ago

no, because i didnt drive even 15seconds after the warning light.. …no, because i didnt drive even 15seconds after the warning light.. everything happened quick and i responded thinking of bigger danger to my family and surrounding cars.. in any case, if you have any suggestion for mobile mechanic then it will be very helpful.. thank you

Is the car where the breakdown happened or at home?
Sign up to emergency assist vehicle recovery via groupon (£17.50) get it recovered to a local garage or for servicing to get it checked out properly. Sometimes using a mobile mechanic for something like that may do more harm than good.
deleted67360
On a serious note. Stay away from mobile mechanics. They are fine for small jobs only.
Just talk to as many mechanics as you can - you will learn more and more as to the most likely problem.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants