Mobile 'numpty' needs help - please!

Found 25th Jul
I know very little when it comes to smartphone tech and I'm having probs with my phone. It has started telling me I have 'Low internal space' but I'm not sure it's correct. Let me explain:

I have an Alcatel Pixi 4(4) phone. Now, before all the "get a better phone" comments start rolling in - this is/has been just right for me as it's my first ever smartphone, does what I need and not too big for my pocket! It was also VERY cheap! I really don't need one of those 'flagship' phones with all the bells/whistles etc. Anyway, I digress...

The phone has a 4GB rom, and I have a 32GB card installed as extra storage. Now I understand that not all of the internal memory is available as some is allocated for system apps/backup etc. It still tells me that I have 2.19GB available - but 2.00GB of that is used. However, if you click that and let it calculate the 'used' space of apps, it reports 0.89GB? Where is all the rest? I should still have over a gig to use for apps.

Now, I hear you cry - "Uninstall all the apps you don't need." Believe me (or not) I have only ONE app installed on the device by me - Google Drive. Every other app is a stock system app that came with the phone. So, it can't be overloaded with apps. I have a very small amount of photos (maybe 15-20) and about 6 music tracks on the phone. These are apparently on the SD card anyway - so it can't be media overload either!

Can someone also please explain this to me: When you do app updates (which seem to be almost daily and drives me 'kin' nuts - hence the very few apps on phone!) does the update overwrite the exsisting app or does it ADD to the filesize? I have always wondered that this could be the issue if the original apps keep getting bigger and bigger as updates add more filesize. It has stopped me doing updates now as the space is low - even though it's showing me as having 0.19GB left, it can't even do a 34mb update???

So, the TL:DR -
------------------------------
Phone says low internal storage
1) Phone has 4GB rom - 2.19GB available.
2) Says 2.00GB used of 2.19 - yet reports only 0.89GB apps.
3) Only 1 'downloaded' app installed. Everything else is 'stock' apps.
4) Barely any media on phone (pics/music/vids etc.)
5) H.E.L.P.!!!

Thanks for reading, folks. I really am at a loss when it comes to tinkering with the system stuff on these phones so any advice is appreciated. I would love to get rid of a lot of these 'system' apps as I don't use them but you can't even do that. It won't let you uninstall stuff like Youtube, Maps, Google Photos etc. without rooting the phone - which would be a minefield for me!

Cheers, Phsy.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
You are confusing Ram with rom. Ram is the big figure, the actual storage for apps, photos etc. Rom is the operating space the phone has. Each app, program etc ties up posting space and won't free it. Your phone is now clogged with apps, or deleted apps which still have reserved some rom. If you can find someone to go into your settings and delete your cache that will help.
The best option is to remember your Google account name and password, save everything you want to keep except apps. Then do a factory reset. This will give you a new phone.
You then log onto your Google account and download ONLY THE APPS YOU NEED!
Emphasis on need. With a tiny memory you have to be prudent. We all see and think 'ooh, that looks good' but I doubt if many of us use more than 4 apps a day. Consider not downloading the 'Ebay' app (for example) unless you use it several times a day. Just open the Web browser instead. No impact on rom until you use it.
mrty1 m ago

You are confusing Ram with rom. Ram is the big figure, the actual storage …You are confusing Ram with rom. Ram is the big figure, the actual storage for apps, photos etc. Rom is the operating space the phone has. Each app, program etc ties up posting space and won't free it. Your phone is now clogged with apps, or deleted apps which still have reserved some rom. If you can find someone to go into your settings and delete your cache that will help.The best option is to remember your Google account name and password, save everything you want to keep except apps. Then do a factory reset. This will give you a new phone.You then log onto your Google account and download ONLY THE APPS YOU NEED!Emphasis on need. With a tiny memory you have to be prudent. We all see and think 'ooh, that looks good' but I doubt if many of us use more than 4 apps a day. Consider not downloading the 'Ebay' app (for example) unless you use it several times a day. Just open the Web browser instead. No impact on rom until you use it.

i thought that too but it really does only have 4 gb of memory ,512 mb of ram i believe
this is what happens when you buy cheap and cheerful unfortunately.

few things to explain here
1. each of the apps you have takes storage
2. each update or even for the app to run some storage is required to move files about
3. some older android phones do not have proper support for TRIM (or whatever it is called these days) which cleans data blocks that are no longer in use. I would imagine with cheaper phone cheaper components are used resulting in poorer performance
4. this also applies to system operating files (not just apps)
5. as a result device becomes bogged up (system files are not always accurately reported)

I suggest looking at an issue with Google Nexus 7 (2013) tablet which had exactly this problem. It is a good and interesting read

potential solution?
Power off
go to the recovery (google how to do it on your phone)
erase system cache
hopefully that will help short term

Alternatively - buy a better phone with more internal storage (4gb is not even close to enough on non stock devices)
phone's these days need at least 32 gb even with just a few apps 16gb with Very basic, all the updates and os take up a lot,
in this day and age,its terrible there making phones with this low storage, when it wouldn't cost more to upgrade but makes phone more useable
If you want to make space poem the apps, select delete on the system so you want to delete. You will get a warning that you may find other apps don't function properly. Select delete, then you should get a screen like this.
34484381-D4cVt.jpg Press ok, and you will get the factory version, using much less rom. As long as its disabled it won't update and you create space. If you are going to do this, do it after saving everything, because if the phone becomes unusable you will need to do a factory reset. It shouldn't though.
Add others say, the phone you have is designed for calls and messaging - not for apps streaming etc. You can get some fantastic phones now for very little money (the Honor 6 deal running at the moment, listed on this site, about £70 but loads of space, great camera, very fast. Future proof, for a low end user, for a good 5 years - so great value.
@mrty - Someone didn't read the post properly. I have only ONE app that I've installed myself! I wish I could delete some of the stock apps...

@mattsk - I know what you're saying but my argument to that would be - cheap and cheerful should still work, right? Otherwise, what's the point in making something that doesn't work. This phone has been fine - up until now. Ok, so it has some sort of memory issue but I've done as you said (thank you), wiped the cache partition and it now says 1.79GB used of 2.19GB. Apps still show as 0.89GB? Hopefully that's sorted out the warning for now but I'm still wondereing where all the rest of the data is being used?

@Pricklerickle - As said above, I fail to understand why a company would even bother producing a product that only 'just' works. In this case, the phone has performed perfectly fine. It's just this recent issue which must have a cause. Eliminate the cause and the phone should return to a usable state - should it not? Thanks to mattsk's advice, it has helped but I still think there must be another root cause so I'm going to explore the factory reset route and maybe just not update ANY of the stock apps in future to limit loss of space.

Thank you guys for trying to help an old dunce! Hehe.

Regards, Phsy.
first thing to do imo is go to settings->storage and look at usage as you have done for 'internal storage' and apps

quickly check pictures/media and audio to see that its as low as you expect then have a look at the cache

cache is probably high if you are a numpty and dont clear it out etc (mine was 350mb just now)

click it and delete

probably enough to be getting on with just now
Phsycronix20 m ago

@mrty - Someone didn't read the post properly. I have only ONE app that …@mrty - Someone didn't read the post properly. I have only ONE app that I've installed myself! I wish I could delete some of the stock apps...@mattsk - I know what you're saying but my argument to that would be - cheap and cheerful should still work, right? Otherwise, what's the point in making something that doesn't work. This phone has been fine - up until now. Ok, so it has some sort of memory issue but I've done as you said (thank you), wiped the cache partition and it now says 1.79GB used of 2.19GB. Apps still show as 0.89GB? Hopefully that's sorted out the warning for now but I'm still wondereing where all the rest of the data is being used?@Pricklerickle - As said above, I fail to understand why a company would even bother producing a product that only 'just' works. In this case, the phone has performed perfectly fine. It's just this recent issue which must have a cause. Eliminate the cause and the phone should return to a usable state - should it not? Thanks to mattsk's advice, it has helped but I still think there must be another root cause so I'm going to explore the factory reset route and maybe just not update ANY of the stock apps in future to limit loss of space.Thank you guys for trying to help an old dunce! Hehe.Regards, Phsy.

well the phone works doesn't it? it makes/recieves calls, txt data. you can do some basic browsing etc it just does not meet your personal standards.
in terms of missing data
Android OS takes about 1.1gb + 300mb for.... (cant remember what they call it but it has to do with security)
so you are left with around 2.7gb. of course that is less because 4gb is described in kb and after the formatting that gives you 3.9gb to start with

3.9 - 1.1 - 0.3 = 2.5 ish
brilly9 m ago

first thing to do imo is go to settings->storage and look at usage as you …first thing to do imo is go to settings->storage and look at usage as you have done for 'internal storage' and appsquickly check pictures/media and audio to see that its as low as you expect then have a look at the cache cache is probably high if you are a numpty and dont clear it out etc (mine was 350mb just now)click it and deleteprobably enough to be getting on with just now

Brilly you are putting me to shame as i'm not tech savvy
@brilly - Yes, I really only have the bare minimum of 'media' on the phone. In fact, I just had a count: 17 pics/5 music tracks! Also, I just cleared my cache under storage & USB - it was only 6.3mb!!

I just can't shake the thought that something has built up within internal storage that I just can't put my finger on...
summerof768 m ago

Brilly you are putting me to shame as i'm not tech savvy

really? i always understood you were shameless
Phsycronix:
@brilly - Yes, I really only have the bare minimum of 'media' on the phone. In fact, I just had a count: 17 pics/5 music tracks! Also, I just cleared my cache under storage & USB - it was only 6.3mb!!

I just can't shake the thought that something has built up within internal storage that I just can't put my finger on...

Do a factory reset. Then see what space you have. If its drastically better, then you did have a problem but I suspect it will only be marginally better. My granddaughter had a pixi 4. She's 10 and in less than a day she came to me saying it wouldn't Work she'd taken a few photos and downloaded a few games. It is a very basic phone, for texting and calling. How many messages you got on there?
@mattsk - Thanks for the maths - this lends weight to my theory. As you say, the OS uses a portion of your phone's available rom. This I understand. But, if the phone has (just for arguments sake) 4GB - the OS uses up a portion of that for itself/security/backup etc - leaving the 2.19GB for MY use. Apps on the phone are using 0.89GB of the 2.19 - where the hell is the other; almost; 1GB being used???

As reported, it says I've used 1.79GB of 2.19GB - yet only 0.89GB is apps. Apart from the miniscule number of photo's and music (barely a few MB at best) what is taking all the other space? I'm baffled!
Hmmm, had another little play with the phone and did a "System Integrity Check" from the Recovery menu. It failed! Not sure if any of this is a cause for my issue regarding space but it says this:

Error:/system/custpack/framework/mediate-res/mediate-res.apk has been modified on Sat Mar 25 18:14:12 2017

Error:found 48 modified files
Error:boot NORMAL check fail
Error:boot ADVANCE check fail

System check FAIL!!

I think perhaps a wipe data/factory reset is in order, eh?
The stock apps aka 'system' apps when updated duplicate themselves on your data storage. Best solution is settings, uninstall updates and then disable them. We recently got rid of a phone with 8gb storage as it was fully he second the system apps update.

There are workarounds to ease the pressure a little but all are technical.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 25th Jul
Have to say have the exact same phone(o2 refurb ?) with the exact same problem
one thing you can do with cheap phones is disable the bloatware under setting-apps so they revert to the factory default
but this one doesn't even have that many installed

like others have said just cheap and rubbish you need at least 16gb these days
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants