Groups

Mobile Phone Delivery - RMS - Not for me, advice

Took delivery in a massive rush this morning of a mobile phone to my house. My missus (who doesnt live in this house) signed for it and when i checked, its a brand new mobile phone in the name of someone i have never heard of. Its not a close neighbour, nor is it the chap who lived here before (which in itself is over 3 years ago)

I opened the package, there is no clue as to who its come from, just the guys name. Question is, what should i do?

33 Comments

send it back to royal mail with 'NOT AT THIS ADDRESS' or send it back to the phone company.

Banned

Is there a return address? If you have no way of returning it might as well enjoy the freebie! If there is i'd take it to the post office.

Is there no clue on the packaging/label! No paperwork inside the box! What network is it on, you may have to get in touch with them, giving them the serial numbers, IMEI numbers, etc they might be able to trace it that way. A friend of ours is going through hell at the moment trying to prove to T-Mobile that she never took out a contract with them, but someone has taken one out in her name & at her address.

You should try to sort it out in case it is on a contract, you could find yourself liable for the bill, if that comes to your house.

keep hold of it if you can't tell where it come from and wait to see if someone gets in contact with you. saying that if it was sent to the wrong address then it will say its been delivered and thens its up to sender to try and claim for royal mail

fairysel;7934974

Is there a return address? If you have no way of returning it might as … Is there a return address? If you have no way of returning it might as well enjoy the freebie! If there is i'd take it to the post office.

No way should you enjoy it as a freebie. Silly advice. If theres no address, send it back to royal mail..

Interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84

Triable Summarily (Magistrates court)
    6 Months and or a fine (Max)

A person commits an offence if they without reasonable excuse intentionally delay or open a postal packet in the course of transmission by post or intentionally opens a mail bag.

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.

If you work for the Post service you could commit other offences under Section 83 triable either way (Magistrates or Crown court) and get a sentence of 2 years and or a fine.

Have you entered a competition for a phone recently. I have had competition prizes come to me in the wrong name in the past, nothing as good as a phone, but a few days later got a letter apologising as the address labels printed with the wrong names but the right addresses.

your wife will have signed her name on it too? and i assume its got your address on? someone will put 2 and 2 together.

gemmar26;7934993

keep hold of it if you can't tell where it come from and wait to see if … keep hold of it if you can't tell where it come from and wait to see if someone gets in contact with you. saying that if it was sent to the wrong address then it will say its been delivered and thens its up to sender to try and claim for royal mail

ur a teef

Original Poster

ok i opneed up the box and there is no reference to which provider its from, nor is there a return address

Banned

it is illegal to open other peoples mail

how do you know its a mobile phone?

I'd be worried about getting a bill that comes with it and has all your details on which I would imagine you would find hard to not pay given that all the details seem to be to your address and you signed for it.

I get it sorted and cancelled asap.

What if he has put your bank details against that phone too?

get in touch with your local CAB office and see what the situation is on unsolicited mail like this, that you can't return because of no clue as to where it has come from.

Banned

you should have refused delivery, now you are in big trouble

possible jail sentence

t0mm;7934997

No way should you enjoy it as a freebie. Silly advice. If theres no … No way should you enjoy it as a freebie. Silly advice. If theres no address, send it back to royal mail..Interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84Triable Summarily (Magistrates court)6 Months and or a fine (Max)A person commits an offence if they without reasonable excuse intentionally delay or open a postal packet in the course of transmission by post or intentionally opens a mail bag.A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.If you work for the Post service you could commit other offences under Section 83 triable either way (Magistrates or Crown court) and get a sentence of 2 years and or a fine.

casparwhite;7935054

it is illegal to open other peoples mailhow do you know its a mobile … it is illegal to open other peoples mailhow do you know its a mobile phone?

Yes, it is illegal, but if you receive something and open by mistake! I have done that in the past.
    I just apologised to the person concerned. If post comes through my door I open it! Simple as!

The delivery postman should of stated who the package was for if he was getting a signature. I am usually asked or told who the item is for if required to sign for something.

its a brand new mobile phone in the name of someone i have never heard of

If it's not in your name then just take it back to post office and say this person doesn't live at this address.

Simple.

And don't worry about the fact that you opened it, it's a simple mistake.

Original Poster

i didnt sign for it lol, how can i be held responsibe for not signing for something. My girlfriend signed for it on the way out of the house this morning whilst i was in the shower. I only noticed when i went down to check that it wasnt for me. There were not details whatsoever of who it came from so i opened the plastic RMS bag to see if there was paperwork inside which there wasnt. I then noticeed this was a mobile phone so i opened up the box to this because normally (in my case with o2 anyway) further details are usually in the box with regards to which network its with etc, giving me a contact. But there is nothing so now im on here asking for help, not being told stupid stuff like im off to jail, get real people

Banned

criminal offence all depends on your previous

maybe use the mrs as the fall guy if your worried

kristianity77;7935122

i didnt sign for it lol, how can i be held responsibe for not signing for … i didnt sign for it lol, how can i be held responsibe for not signing for something. My girlfriend signed for it on the way out of the house this morning whilst i was in the shower. I only noticed when i went down to check that it wasnt for me. There were not details whatsoever of who it came from so i opened the plastic RMS bag to see if there was paperwork inside which there wasnt. I then noticeed this was a mobile phone so i opened up the box to this because normally (in my case with o2 anyway) further details are usually in the box with regards to which network its with etc, giving me a contact. But there is nothing so now im on here asking for help, not being told stupid stuff like im off to jail, get real people

Just send it back to royal mail with 'NOT AT THIS ADDRESS'

Banned

t0mm;7935149

Just send it back to royal mail with 'NOT AT THIS ADDRESS'

he she has signed for it........

slight problem

Just keep hold of it, if no one comes for it........... BINGO

casparwhite;7935181

he she has signed for it........slight problem

oh, sucks.

you're kinda supposed to check packages before you sign for them lol (i thought this was common sense)

Is it a brand new phone in a proper box as you would get from say o2?

Original Poster

yeah its brand new but doesnt have any information with regards to coming from any phone company.

Ill just take it to post office at the weekend

Then i would be worried that someone is also using your address as the billing address, I think the fact your girlfriend signed for it is irrelevant IMO.

Call the network its on and they'll arrange to have it collected.

It could be a fraudulent application, if it is you need it get it sorted as soon as possible to avoid getting the bills through...

Original Poster

steve1221;7935242

Call the network its on and they'll arrange to have it collected.It could … Call the network its on and they'll arrange to have it collected.It could be a fraudulent application, if it is you need it get it sorted as soon as possible to avoid getting the bills through...

how on earth do i find out what network its on??? There is no paperwrok, no sim card, nothing

Banned

t0mm;7934997

No way should you enjoy it as a freebie. Silly advice. If theres no … No way should you enjoy it as a freebie. Silly advice. If theres no address, send it back to royal mail..Interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84Triable Summarily (Magistrates court)6 Months and or a fine (Max)A person commits an offence if they without reasonable excuse intentionally delay or open a postal packet in the course of transmission by post or intentionally opens a mail bag.A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.If you work for the Post service you could commit other offences under Section 83 triable either way (Magistrates or Crown court) and get a sentence of 2 years and or a fine.

But i'd be worried if i sent it back with nowhere for the RM to send it on to that it would just sit in some RM office, then the Network come after you and what proof do you have that you tried to give it back? You have no phone to give them back and a bill to pay?

kristianity77;7935265

how on earth do i find out what network its on??? There is no paperwrok, … how on earth do i find out what network its on??? There is no paperwrok, no sim card, nothing

Exactly so if someone has the sim card associated with your billing address what's to stop them racking up a huge bill.

According to the providers details, it has your address as the billing addres, you accepted and signed for the phone, meanwhile someone else has the sim associated to the phone.

Saying that i have no idea where you start to remedy this but sending it back to the post office isn't correct IMO.

Souns like a right scam to me.

Original Poster

greg_68;7935295

Exactly so if someone has the sim card associated with your billing … Exactly so if someone has the sim card associated with your billing address what's to stop them racking up a huge bill.According to the providers details, it has your address as the billing addres, you accepted and signed for the phone, meanwhile someone else has the sim associated to the phone.Saying that i have no idea where you start to remedy this but sending it back to the post office isn't correct IMO.Souns like a right scam to me.

But it hasnt got my name on though so how can i possibly be billed for something that isnt in my name?

You may as well send it back. The phone will have been blocked by the Network provider by now, who would have blocked it when the true recipient phoned them to say they havn't received it.

This exact thing happened to my mate last week. He didn't receive his i-phone - so phoned o2 who blocked it. Later that day one of his neighbours brought the phone round (she signed for it at her house). o2 still havn't unblocked the phone - boy is he annoyed:thumbsup:

So moral of story - give back to Royal Mail;-)

Original Poster

yeah ill take it back at the weekend and explain it got signed for in a rush and i only opened it to see if i could find out who to return it to. Im pretty sure i cant be blamed for anything so im not going to worry about it

If in doubt hand it in at your local Police Station, let them sort it out! Sooner than having it rattling around the RM who will do nothing with it. Atleast then if you do get any bills, claims etc you can rest easy that you handed it in to them. They can put it in their Lost Property box, lol.

You can't get billed for something that isn't in your name.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861857
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4661379
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846149
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?44

See more discussions