Groups

Mobile phone firm EE has been fined £2.7 million by Ofcom for overcharging tens of thousands of customers

SuperEd
    Well worth contacting to get your account checked!

Mobile phone firm EE has been fined £2.7 million by Ofcom for overcharging tens of thousands of customers.

The communications regulator found that the company broke a ‘fundamental billing rule’ on two separate occasions, resulting in nearly 40,000 customers being overcharged around £250,000.

An investigation by Ofcom accused EE of ‘carelessness or negligence’, adding that while it did not set out to make money from its billing mistake, the company had decided not to reimburse the majority of affected customers until Ofcom intervened.

While the majority of customers have now been refunded, EE was unable to identify at least 6,905 customers, who have been left around £60,000 out of pocket.

Full story Click me

23 Comments

Banned

Good.

Good stuff ..I have no words left to slaughter the utterly disgusting corporate governance in the UK and indeed all over the world...

Kebo88

Good stuff ..I have no words left to slaughter the utterly disgusting … Good stuff ..I have no words left to slaughter the utterly disgusting corporate governance in the UK and indeed all over the world...

​ever made a mistake, likely people in EE made mistakes which led to people being overcharged.
    ever lied...?

Think i must be one of the 6,905 people. Surely i'm due a refund for the amount i pay them?!

Peanuts compared to some mass scams.
    Let's all carry on buying from amazon though eh?

I don't believe it was a deliberate scam. Having been over charged myself their billing systems are diabolical and any offers, discounts or loyalty discounts are applied manually with the customer services or sales guy using a calculator! Honestly had to explain to one guy how to take 15% off a line rental charge. Very slow process but eventually he understood basic maths. Rather than have an automated system it's all manually calculated. Pay peanuts and get monkeys (who can't add up)

You ever tried to get a refund from them. Had no end of problems when my Mother died. Even when instructed by the regulator to refund charges they still did not. Had to take action to get the money back.
    Would never have anything to do with this company again.

As an individual it's accepted. Not a blue chip organisation that then neglects to reimburse. Ridiculous......

Ofcon - a fine made in 1 second by BT, thats not a slap on the wrist, not even a raised eyebrow...its a 'I'm going to ignore your behaviour and hope you stop' moment

How can you check? Before my contract now, my previous contract didn't "officially exist" therefore was paying around £70 a month for 2gb of data and unlimited minutes and texts.

As so many staff were 'let go' after the Orange/T mobile merger I can't say I'm surprised.
    Most of the staff that knew how the systems work and could fix problems were lost. Whole building were closed down and sold off.
    You can't lose that many people (some with over 20 years experience running the backend) and expect everything to just carry on!
    And why were so many 'let go'? By the looks of it, so the few at the top could make millions selling EE to BT. So as usual the people that do the actual work get shafted while the suits sit in their offices and rake in the money. . .

I've had to chase them up for the past 2 months for overcharging me

Atleast Ofcom is doing something about it

Over the last couple of months I've noticed a couple of odd payments for EE going into my Account, only a few pounds and as it was being paid into my account I didn't bother questioning it. Wonder if I was one of the over charged.

I rang in for 459 pound back in cashback and 1 or 2 call charges when in the limit !! Didn't even notice thanks op you rule!!! The staff member I spoke to was shocked I even knew about it

Who gets the 2.7 Million Pounds?

Banned

I told my partner not to pay an additional bill of £15 when she terminated her contract.

Bloody thieves

How can you find out? I've been in major dispute with them over 100 quid from just before my upgrade. Surely if you ring and ask they could just lie ?

That's what I'm thinking? How do we approach this?

Wow iv been with ee from years never had a problem with them. All iv had is discounts upon discounts

Oh well they are robbing customers and its not a mistake as i never seen anyone getting money by mistake but always mistakes happen only in overcharging.

goonertillidie

Well worth contacting to get your account checked!Mobile phone firm … Well worth contacting to get your account checked!Mobile phone firm EE has been fined £2.7 million by Ofcom for overcharging tens of thousands of customers.The communications regulator found that the company broke a ‘fundamental billing rule’ on two separate occasions, resulting in nearly 40,000 customers being overcharged around £250,000.An investigation by Ofcom accused EE of ‘carelessness or negligence’, adding that while it did not set out to make money from its billing mistake, the company had decided not to reimburse the majority of affected customers until Ofcom intervened.While the majority of customers have now been refunded, EE was unable to identify at least 6,905 customers, who have been left around £60,000 out of pocket.Full story Click me

anyone know if this applies to Orange payg, as quite often the dolphin tarrif doesn't add freebie texts within a lotted period after £10 topup, so then credit is used up before recieving freebie texts. Also sometimes the freebie the text never get added!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tooth extraction77
      2. Decent Mp3 Player?33
      3. Box Nation44
      4. iPhone x66

See more discussions