Mobile Phone Insurance

Found 7th Sep 2011
OK so someone I know is scared their Samsung Galaxy S might fly out of their car window as they are driving and get smashed into pieces.
They haven't insured their phone as yet but are wondering about insuring it after it gets damaged in this manner.
To help ease their minds in case of this extremely unlikely situation occurring they are thinking ahead and are wondering if it is possible to take out insurance on this broken phone and then claim it after an appropriate amount of time as they would still have the broken pieces of the phone after sweeping it up off the road where it might potentially happen one day.
Any suggestions about whether this would work or not and which company/place would do a suitable insurance policy? links would be appreciated.

This is entirely a precaution about something that might possibly happen one day and is not related in any way to trying to pull a fast one.

Thanks.
Community Updates
26 Comments
Insurance fraud, not something I would advocate!!
tut tut, no wonder my premiums are so high !
Should work fine. Just wait a few weeks.
Original Poster Banned
Oh, I forgot to say this is a HYPOTHETICAL situation and I wouldn't want to be suggesting anything illegal obviously...
LOL
Actually wondered this myself. I say you'd be fine if you waited a few weeks
So they break their phone, insure it, then 2 weeks later make a claim.

The insurance company will then ask why the phone hasn't been used for 2 weeks before it was broken. Their T&Cs will say that claims for loss or damage must be made within x amount of days.
Edited by: "mfc1986" 7th Sep 2011
Original Poster Banned
In this HYPOTHETICAL scenario, this person managed to retrieve the sim card from the wreck of the phone and use it in an older spare phone.
No interruption in service.
If the insurer spoke to the operator about imei records, you'd be kinda screwed.
Villa

In this HYPOTHETICAL scenario, this person managed to retrieve the sim … In this HYPOTHETICAL scenario, this person managed to retrieve the sim card from the wreck of the phone and use it in an older spare phone.No interruption in service.

Still doesn't explain why the 2 weeks wait before claiming. The service provider (who they will check with) will tell them that the Samsung was last used x days ago.
Original Poster Banned
How does that work? can they tell which phone the sim was in when calls are made?
..plus I think most insurers stipulate you can't make a claim within the 1st month.
Villa

How does that work? can they tell which phone the sim was in when calls … How does that work? can they tell which phone the sim was in when calls are made?

Yes.
Original Poster Banned
mfc1986

Yes.

Damn. What is the likelihood though of them checking with the provider - and is the provider obligated to supply that info?

Phone companies can tell if the sim card has been used in that particular phone.
Bearing in mind insurance fraud is illegal and the insurance company can easily find out the phone has been unused since before the insurance was taken out then they can peruse it further.
Villa

Damn. What is the likelihood though of them checking with the provider - … Damn. What is the likelihood though of them checking with the provider - and is the provider obligated to supply that info?

They will. They are not going to shell out for a £500 phone at the drop of a hat.

Original Poster Banned
sickly sweet

Phone companies can tell if the sim card has been used in that particular … Phone companies can tell if the sim card has been used in that particular phone.Bearing in mind insurance fraud is illegal and the insurance company can easily find out the phone has been unused since before the insurance was taken out then they can peruse it further.

Bloody hell, that's not fair!

Nice change of the OP.
Villa

Bloody hell, that's not fair!

You think it's fair to defraud an insurance company tho.
Remember kids - crime doesn't pay
Original Poster Banned
sickly sweet

:|You think it's fair to defraud an insurance company tho.

That is a good point.
Good job then that this UNLIKELY scenario never happened.
This 'friend' of mine may go take a look at some cheap Motorola Atrix deals or something instead.

Thanks for the info though, especially the bit about IMEI numbers, I'm sure it will come in handy if that person ever did damage any other phones in future.

Edited by: "Villa" 7th Sep 2011
Villa

That is a good point.Good job then that this UNLIKELY scenario never … That is a good point.Good job then that this UNLIKELY scenario never happened.This 'friend' of mine may go take a look at some cheap Motorola Atrix deals or something instead.

If it never happened he can still get his phone insured?
Villa

That is a good point.Good job then that this UNLIKELY scenario never … That is a good point.Good job then that this UNLIKELY scenario never happened.This 'friend' of mine may go take a look at some cheap Motorola Atrix deals or something instead.Thanks for the info though, especially the bit about IMEI numbers, I'm sure it will come in handy if that person ever did damage any other phones in future.

Its people like your "friend" who are causing all the increases in premiums by doing this....

I kind of wished people would of just said it was fine... do it..... then your "friend" would of got stung.

ps -- Hope you get a new phone soon.
Edited by: "RickT" 7th Sep 2011
Original Poster Banned
Stop finding loopholes in my story
Villa

Stop finding loopholes in my story

lol, if we can find them, think what the fraud dept of the insurance co. would find.
1. Take the bus - problem solved
2. Keep car window closed - problem solved
3. Keep phone at home - problem solved

See. There are alternatives.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants