Mobile phone provider question

Posted 2nd Feb
Hi, I need a new iphone quickly as mine is dying.
My sim is with ID (Carphone Warehouse) who piggy back of 3's network.
3 is better in my area than EE.

Question is if I buy an used iphone locked to 3 can I use it with my ID sim without unlocking it? I really dont know how to find out and dont want to be without a phone for a long time while its sorted?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Three stopped locking phones years ago.

Found this on three site.

If you bought your device from us after 1 January 2014, your device will already be unlocked.
I think it will be locked mate, even though they piggy back of it, they’re technically not your provider.
Literally could have just googled this.
winzzz02/02/2020 10:27

Like nearly every question on here
Ask in the shop if you can try your SIM card in it to make sure it works, places like cex and cash converters allow you to do this before buying
eslick02/02/2020 10:29

Like nearly every question on here

Let’s close this site down and just use Google.

And you literally could have bothered posting deals or making this site a more helpful place. But what do you do. Hand out the obvious "could have googled this"
yes you can use id chip in 3 phone, even tho they meant to be unlocked they are not always..
Alexandralocks02/02/2020 10:44

And you literally could have bothered posting deals or making this site a …And you literally could have bothered posting deals or making this site a more helpful place. But what do you do. Hand out the obvious "could have googled this"

but they are right some questions people ask would be easier to google or goto company direct for correct response, for points of view or reviews i can see the point of asking here...
Alexandralocks02/02/2020 10:44

And you literally could have bothered posting deals or making this site a …And you literally could have bothered posting deals or making this site a more helpful place. But what do you do. Hand out the obvious "could have googled this"

What do you think people who answer these questions do though? Even if I knew the answer, I’d still google it first to double check before replying. It’s lazy on OP’s part.

Google doesn't easily provide actual experience / tribal knowledge. When I decided to buy a new phone, apart from the many reviews I read through Google, what helped was the HUKD community experience. It also helped me understand what is the maximum price I should pay for the 3 phones on my short list.
winzzz02/02/2020 13:43

What do you think people who answer these questions do though? Even if I …What do you think people who answer these questions do though? Even if I knew the answer, I’d still google it first to double check before replying. It’s lazy on OP’s part.

Why is it lazy. How do you know op hasn't already googled? He/She wanted a first hand opinion if anyone has been in a similar circumstance. Why is that so hard to understand
bozo00702/02/2020 13:47

Google doesn't easily provide actual experience / tribal knowledge. When I …Google doesn't easily provide actual experience / tribal knowledge. When I decided to buy a new phone, apart from the many reviews I read through Google, what helped was the HUKD community experience. It also helped me understand what is the maximum price I should pay for the 3 phones on my short list.

That’s completely different. It doesn’t take experience and tribal knowledge to read a companies policy on locking phones.
Alexandralocks02/02/2020 14:04

Why is it lazy. How do you know op hasn't already googled? He/She wanted a …Why is it lazy. How do you know op hasn't already googled? He/She wanted a first hand opinion if anyone has been in a similar circumstance. Why is that so hard to understand

This isn’t an experience or product review, it’s a company policy, they either lock phones or don’t. It says on Three’s website.
It's all about the taking part
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants