Mobile Phone Recommendations

Posted 24th Jun
Hello everyone, I was hoping someone might be able to offer up some options since I'm a little out of the loop.

Here's the deal: I have two phones, a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 that I use for everything phone-related and an old knackered Samsung Galaxy S3 that I use for YouTubing and web browsing. The S3 has been proudly soldiering on for 6 years now but is on the verge of snuffing it; multiple screen cracks, outdated software, performance issues. I'm looking to replace the S3 with something cheap to essentially be a YouTube (listening primarily) and occasional web-browsing handheld device, I don't need it for anything else.

Ideally:
Removable Battery as that'll probably get knackered pretty quickly as I use it all the time.
5-Inch Screen is probably big enough, I know that the bigger the screen the faster the battery would drain but larger is not a dealbreaker.
Headphone Jack.
Not A Chinese Phone because of the political situation.
~£100 Budget but the less I can spend the better, I only want it for those two things after all.
UK Retailer for warranty issues.
New or at least Clean as I have a weakened immune system.

Thank you in advance for your help!

P.S. I keep upselling myself during my searching but I can't justify spending nearly £200 on a glorified podcast machine. My current temptation is the Motorola Moto G7 Power.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Samsung j5 2016 version may fit the bill..well under £100 at CEX. My 2016 j5 still going strong. Very solid design..has good reviews. Removable battery too. Faster 2017 version also under £100 but no removable battery.
josephobrien200024/06/2020 08:55

Samsung j5 2016 version may fit the bill..well under £100 at CEX. My 2016 …Samsung j5 2016 version may fit the bill..well under £100 at CEX. My 2016 j5 still going strong. Very solid design..has good reviews. Removable battery too. Faster 2017 version also under £100 but no removable battery.

I wouldn't class items coming from CEX as clean though.
I am not sure why politics should affect a cheap phone which is going to be used mainly as a "podcast machine". Any phone you buy will likely be made in China anyway.

Look at the Umidigi Power 3 on a lightning sale on Amazon until 7pm today for £122.
Edited by: "bozo007" 24th Jun
Not A Chinese Phone because of the political situation - hilarious!
Samsung use Chinese components in their phones and even outsource the manufacture of some handsets to China

Btw Motorola G7 Power...I have news for you......

Moto phone brand is owned by Lenovo. A Chinese company. They are manufactured in China

Forget the anti China crusade, all you are doing is limiting yourself as a consumer.

Just buy Xiaomi Redmi 7a, currently £69 from O2.
It doesn't have a removable battery (you are SERIOUSLY limiting your options there...) But will do everything else you need better than anything else sub £100
Edited by: "Uridium" 24th Jun
Uridium24/06/2020 11:14

Samsung use Chinese components in their phones and even outsource the …Samsung use Chinese components in their phones and even outsource the manufacture of some handsets to ChinaBtw Motorola G7 Power...I have news for you......Moto phone brand is owned by Lenovo. A Chinese company. They are manufactured in China Forget the anti China crusade, all you are doing is limiting yourself as a consumer.Just buy Xiaomi Redmi 7a, currently £69 from O2.It doesn't have a removable battery (you are SERIOUSLY limiting your options there...) But will do everything else you need better than anything else sub £100

I wasn't aware Lenovo had purchased Motorola. I try to avoid buying from China if at all possible because of the plethora of untenable actions perpetrated by the Chinese state and because of the nature of Chinese companies and their relation to the Chinese state, it's not a laughable proposition, there are perfectly salient reasons to try to avoid supporting the Chinese economy and, by extension, regime. Thanks for the recommendation, though.
I understand your reasoning, each to their own. However I think you are going to really struggle to avoid Chinese manufacturing when buying a Smartphone.

I'm not aware any brand that doesn't not even partially manufacture their smartphones in China

As you have discovered, Motorola Mobility is owned by Lenovo, Samsung outsource some smartphone assembly to China, Even Nokia (owned by Finnish company HMD Global) manufacture some handsets in China.

So what I'm saying is that by avoiding the Chinese "Branded" phones and going with phones that don't have a Chinese brand names makes no difference, they are still made in China. All you are doing is simply limiting yourself as a consumer to less choice and potentially not the best device for your needs/Budget.

The closest you are likely to get is "Some" models made by Samsung and LG which are made in South Korea, you'd need to check each handset model to be sure though.

Edit: Come to think of it ironically Xiaomi now have a couple of factories in India, so when buying a Chinese branded Xiaomi phone you might actually be not buying a phone made in China....
Edited by: "Uridium" 24th Jun
Uridium24/06/2020 14:29

I understand your reasoning, each to their own. However I think you are …I understand your reasoning, each to their own. However I think you are going to really struggle to avoid Chinese manufacturing when buying a Smartphone.I'm not aware any brand that doesn't not even partially manufacture their smartphones in ChinaAs you have discovered, Motorola Mobility is owned by Lenovo, Samsung outsource some smartphone assembly to China, Even Nokia (owned by Finnish company HMD Global) manufacture some handsets in China.So what I'm saying is that by avoiding the Chinese "Branded" phones and going with phones that don't have a Chinese brand names makes no difference, they are still made in China. All you are doing is simply limiting yourself as a consumer to less choice and potentially not the best device for your needs/Budget.The closest you are likely to get is "Some" models made by Samsung and LG which are made in South Korea, you'd need to check each handset model to be sure though.Edit: Come to think of it ironically Xiaomi now have a couple of factories in India, so when buying a Chinese branded Xiaomi phone you might actually be not buying a phone made in China....

you cant get around buying products/components made in china but by not buying there brands op is doing there bit, its the way you look at it.

each to there own. op isnt hurting anyone.
Uridium24/06/2020 14:29

I understand your reasoning, each to their own. However I think you are …I understand your reasoning, each to their own. However I think you are going to really struggle to avoid Chinese manufacturing when buying a Smartphone.I'm not aware any brand that doesn't not even partially manufacture their smartphones in ChinaAs you have discovered, Motorola Mobility is owned by Lenovo, Samsung outsource some smartphone assembly to China, Even Nokia (owned by Finnish company HMD Global) manufacture some handsets in China.So what I'm saying is that by avoiding the Chinese "Branded" phones and going with phones that don't have a Chinese brand names makes no difference, they are still made in China. All you are doing is simply limiting yourself as a consumer to less choice and potentially not the best device for your needs/Budget.The closest you are likely to get is "Some" models made by Samsung and LG which are made in South Korea, you'd need to check each handset model to be sure though.Edit: Come to think of it ironically Xiaomi now have a couple of factories in India, so when buying a Chinese branded Xiaomi phone you might actually be not buying a phone made in China....

I'm currently looking at the Nokia 1.3 with its optimised OS and removable battery at £65 with an extra year of warranty from Nokia themselves.
Post a comment
@
    Text