Groups
    EXPIRED

Mobile phones: Do you have unlimited characters in a picture text?

I was telling someone earlier that the reason why I send very long messages with my picture texts is because you receive unlimited characters, as it doesn't state how many characters you have remaining like a regular text but it says the amount of KB used instead.

What's the deal, otherwise I sent a text the other day that probably cost me about £50 instead of 20p. lol

12 Comments

i think picture messages are normaly equivalent to 3 texts, depending on the size

Original Poster

skusey;5391808

i think picture messages are normaly equivalent to 3 texts, depending on … i think picture messages are normaly equivalent to 3 texts, depending on the size

T-mobile charge 20p (equivalent to 2 texts) but I was previously told it doesn't matter how large the file is, it'll still cost the same but someone else reckons that's not the case...I like proving her wrong...it's almost become a hobby of mine. :giggle:

I think its a 300kB message limit (the limit of the MMS protocol), not 100% on that though but that should give you plenty of character space!

Original Poster

jah128;5391836

I think its a 300kB message limit (the limit of the MMS protocol), not … I think its a 300kB message limit (the limit of the MMS protocol), not 100% on that though but that should give you plenty of character space!

So providing it fits within the message being sent, there's no extra charge for the amount of characters used in the text?

I think so, may be network dependant. I've you have free customer services, give them a call and ask, they probably won't have a clue but its free to try anyway!

The 160 character limit on SMSs seems very harsh these days - particularly if you send a longer one, to be charged twice is a bit rich, the actual cost in terms of bandwidth used is next to zero!

Original Poster

jah128;5391867

I think so, may be network dependant. I've you have free customer … I think so, may be network dependant. I've you have free customer services, give them a call and ask, they probably won't have a clue but its free to try anyway!The 160 character limit on SMSs seems very harsh these days - particularly if you send a longer one, to be charged twice is a bit rich, the actual cost in terms of bandwidth used is next to zero!

That's the thing, isn't a picture message considered as bandwidth, as I'm sure I've read that somewhere before.
    Whenever I send a picture message, it asks if I want to send it via multimedia, email etc...so it's not a standard text, is it?

my phone auto converts to a picture message if ur sms goes over 5 msgs long

it says this is because most of the providers will charge more for 6 texts then for an mms..

not much use to me as i have unlimited sms n zero mms....

realfriendlyman;5391968

That's the thing, isn't a picture message considered as bandwidth, as I'm … That's the thing, isn't a picture message considered as bandwidth, as I'm sure I've read that somewhere before.Whenever I send a picture message, it asks if I want to send it via multimedia, email etc...so it's not a standard text, is it?

You right - a picture is a MMS message (and a standard text is SMS). Neither are charged as if they are data - but both are, in reality, and in terms of cost-per-byte MMS is potentially much cheaper than SMS (and cheaper than regular data too on a lot of networks)

Robcampo;5392254

my phone auto converts to a picture message if ur sms goes over 5 msgs … my phone auto converts to a picture message if ur sms goes over 5 msgs long it says this is because most of the providers will charge more for 6 texts then for an mms..not much use to me as i have unlimited sms n zero mms....

It's a clever trick nonetheless, what kinda phone is it?

grex9101;5392421

It's a clever trick nonetheless, what kinda phone is it?

Lg viewty.... mines gsm free or whatever its called
    apparantly if its tmobile locked then it works on 3 sms' as this is the point it becomes cheaper to send an mms...
    dunno bout the other networks....

youd think more companies would build it in, and let you define the asmount of sms before it converts over...

Robcampo;5393128

Lg viewty.... mines gsm free or whatever its calledapparantly if its … Lg viewty.... mines gsm free or whatever its calledapparantly if its tmobile locked then it works on 3 sms' as this is the point it becomes cheaper to send an mms...dunno bout the other networks....youd think more companies would build it in, and let you define the asmount of sms before it converts over...

Totally, it's a fair old model but I'd never heard of that function :thumbsup:

grex9101;5393261

Totally, it's a fair old model but I'd never heard of that function … Totally, it's a fair old model but I'd never heard of that function :thumbsup:

the problems with contracts eh... your stuck with the phone....lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …110235
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?31122
      3. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October22
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?34215

See more discussions