Expired

Mobile phones non removable battery

Found 4th Jan
As the advancement in mobile phone technology has slowed over the past few years, have manufacturers chosen to fit non replaceable batteries to force the purchase of new phones?

My 4 year old phone is similar spec to current models and other than the battery it's perfect.

Just wondered if its a sneaky trick manufacturers took from Apple.
Community Updates
Top comments
The more space in the phone argument is a complete lie, I can't believe anyone fell for that. Open any phone with a fixed battery and the battery is still the traditional rectangle, still at the back/outmost edge, and still just connects with a connector. It's essentially a normal battery with a ribbon cable instead of contacts and they glue them in to deliberately make it more difficult for those of us with the sense to just replace them.

It's all about increasing phone sales.
16 Comments
No, non-renewable batteries allow the manufacturers to make use of more space inside the phone which means that the actual size of the phone doesn’t have to increase in order to accommodate larger or additional components. Also I highly doubt that your 4 year old phone is similar in spec to any current flagship on the market. My 2 year old Samsung flagship is visibly slower than my 8 Plus in normal use and the UI regularly stutters, in CPU and GPU intensive tasks the 8 Plus blazes ahead.
TechWizz7 m ago

No, non-renewable batteries allow the manufacturers to make use of more …No, non-renewable batteries allow the manufacturers to make use of more space inside the phone which means that the actual size of the phone doesn’t have to increase in order to accommodate larger or additional components. Also I highly doubt that your 4 year old phone is similar in spec to any current flagship on the market. My 2 year old Samsung flagship is visibly slower than my 8 Plus in normal use and the UI regularly stutters, in CPU and GPU intensive tasks the 8 Plus blazes ahead.

Also makes life easier to introduce waterproofing/dust proofing etc for those IP ratings.
Original Poster
TechWizz53 m ago

No, non-renewable batteries allow the manufacturers to make use of more …No, non-renewable batteries allow the manufacturers to make use of more space inside the phone which means that the actual size of the phone doesn’t have to increase in order to accommodate larger or additional components. Also I highly doubt that your 4 year old phone is similar in spec to any current flagship on the market. My 2 year old Samsung flagship is visibly slower than my 8 Plus in normal use and the UI regularly stutters, in CPU and GPU intensive tasks the 8 Plus blazes ahead.

All I mean by advancement has slowed is that you get to a point with ram where extra makes little difference. My 4 year old oneplus one has 3gb and looking at replacing it the choices are 3-4gb. Fair enough the newer processors are more efficient.

It just seems now that phones get binned as there's no replacement batteries available that are genuine or actual mah same as the original.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 4th Jan
The more space in the phone argument is a complete lie, I can't believe anyone fell for that. Open any phone with a fixed battery and the battery is still the traditional rectangle, still at the back/outmost edge, and still just connects with a connector. It's essentially a normal battery with a ribbon cable instead of contacts and they glue them in to deliberately make it more difficult for those of us with the sense to just replace them.

It's all about increasing phone sales.
TechWizz57 m ago

I find this half true but also bs, the difference could be 1mm, nothing to be scoffed at and would imagine nobody would care and rather this to have the battery an example of this is the LG G4, that phone is wicked think and feels great but has battery removable, the s8 is not much thinner or makes me think the g4 is fat

you can argue that having it removable would mean they can't make it as waterproof and other things but i feel they can do it they just rather not to force the obselete
Also I'd like to add I use apps to block ads and apps misbehaving and other things, I don't use facebook app as it first takes up your love watching memes. and takes up most your battery, A 3 year old phone can do what flagship does for me without a big enough difference to care, but obvcourse the majorty just use phone without a care and need a new one every year to keep up.

:P, I'd be happy if they kept it non removable but made it so it was not take whole phone to switch it yourself
advantages of non removable battery
1. switching sim cards does not mean you must restart your phone
2. battery cover can brake when removing or the pins that hold the cover deform leading to poor fitment (my GF had Galaxy s2, she dropped it, battery cover came out, battery came out and fell into a drain on the road)
3. phone is structurally more solid
4. you can use premium materials (glass, metal, aluminium, ceramic) - would you pay £800-£1000 for a plastic phone only to have replaceable battery?

if your battery is poor you have 2 years warranty, just get it changed before warranty ends
mattsk29 m ago

advantages of non removable battery1. switching sim cards does not mean …advantages of non removable battery1. switching sim cards does not mean you must restart your phone2. battery cover can brake when removing or the pins that hold the cover deform leading to poor fitment (my GF had Galaxy s2, she dropped it, battery cover came out, battery came out and fell into a drain on the road)3. phone is structurally more solid4. you can use premium materials (glass, metal, aluminium, ceramic) - would you pay £800-£1000 for a plastic phone only to have replaceable battery?if your battery is poor you have 2 years warranty, just get it changed before warranty ends

I thought battery wear through normal use, which this is, is generally not covered by warranty?
ibblackberry11 h, 13 m ago

I thought battery wear through normal use, which this is, is generally not …I thought battery wear through normal use, which this is, is generally not covered by warranty?

nothing stops you from over-exaggerating few issues
mattsk3 h, 26 m ago

advantages of non removable battery1. switching sim cards does not mean …advantages of non removable battery1. switching sim cards does not mean you must restart your phone2. battery cover can brake when removing or the pins that hold the cover deform leading to poor fitment (my GF had Galaxy s2, she dropped it, battery cover came out, battery came out and fell into a drain on the road)3. phone is structurally more solid4. you can use premium materials (glass, metal, aluminium, ceramic) - would you pay £800-£1000 for a plastic phone only to have replaceable battery?if your battery is poor you have 2 years warranty, just get it changed before warranty ends

Advantages of Removable,

Remove sim card without running round a hotel or home for a pin (anyone that finds it annoying to change sims all the time without restarted should either get a dual sim or a minority)

Battery cover can break and you can buy another one for 5£ (also weirdly enough if you have a glass one then this will break also however it won't be 5£ it be a trip to a shop and 60£ down the drain if your lucky)

Phones more solid? Have you got evidence to show non- removable last longer because of this?

and last point, The LG G4 have leather removable backs and oneplus had sanstome and wood these were premium, Who likes glass I would have to say I've never seen anybody walk round with no case on a glass back phone, its horrible, liable to break, slippery, and fingerprint magnet, and no I would not pay 800£ for a phone because it has a glass back which i will cover in a case, ill buy that 800£ phone 1 year later for 300-400£,

The hard truth is most people are getting a new phone because there gets slower due to 1 year of cache and data mismatch, if people could swap the battery and do a reset there realise opening facebook is barely half second slower the new phone, with a slight saturation boost in camera, Phones should be 2-3 years use but most don't get past 1 year,

I'm a hypocrite because I normally do not keep a phone for long, however Im on pasy and I sell my phone and normally spend no extra or tiny amount to upgrade or just switch to something new, I get bored easily, and like trying all brands out
whelan18919 m ago

Advantages of Removable,Remove sim card without running round a hotel or …Advantages of Removable,Remove sim card without running round a hotel or home for a pin (anyone that finds it annoying to change sims all the time without restarted should either get a dual sim or a minority)Battery cover can break and you can buy another one for 5£ (also weirdly enough if you have a glass one then this will break also however it won't be 5£ it be a trip to a shop and 60£ down the drain if your lucky)Phones more solid? Have you got evidence to show non- removable last longer because of this? and last point, The LG G4 have leather removable backs and oneplus had sanstome and wood these were premium, Who likes glass I would have to say I've never seen anybody walk round with no case on a glass back phone, its horrible, liable to break, slippery, and fingerprint magnet, and no I would not pay 800£ for a phone because it has a glass back which i will cover in a case, ill buy that 800£ phone 1 year later for 300-400£, The hard truth is most people are getting a new phone because there gets slower due to 1 year of cache and data mismatch, if people could swap the battery and do a reset there realise opening facebook is barely half second slower the new phone, with a slight saturation boost in camera, Phones should be 2-3 years use but most don't get past 1 year, I'm a hypocrite because I normally do not keep a phone for long, however Im on pasy and I sell my phone and normally spend no extra or tiny amount to upgrade or just switch to something new, I get bored easily, and like trying all brands out

lol phones dont keep for more than a year?
CITATION NEEDED
and you basically dismissed all my points without even a single decent argument

but lets take a look at something different

would you buy a plastic Corvette Stingray or Metal (any other equivalent simillarly specced) car
Edited by: "mattsk" 5th Jan
mattsk5th Jan

lol phones dont keep for more than a year?CITATION NEEDEDand you basically …lol phones dont keep for more than a year?CITATION NEEDEDand you basically dismissed all my points without even a single decent argumentbut lets take a look at something differentwould you buy a plastic Corvette Stingray or Metal (any other equivalent simillarly specced) car

Yet again, very small amount of people cover there corvette or cars in skins, what is the point in the glass phone when 95% of the people slap on a case, really does not matte, even metal people still put a case on
whelan1891 h, 45 m ago

Yet again, very small amount of people cover there corvette or cars in …Yet again, very small amount of people cover there corvette or cars in skins, what is the point in the glass phone when 95% of the people slap on a case, really does not matte, even metal people still put a case on

again would you pay 800 for a plastic phone with possibility of changing battery and all issues related with plastic (poor waterproofing etc) or would you pay 800 for a high quality design steel/alluminium/ceramic/glass/titanium phone....
and no waiting for a year for the phone to go lower in price is not a feasable answer
mattsk1 h, 32 m ago

again would you pay 800 for a plastic phone with possibility of changing …again would you pay 800 for a plastic phone with possibility of changing battery and all issues related with plastic (poor waterproofing etc) or would you pay 800 for a high quality design steel/alluminium/ceramic/glass/titanium phone....and no waiting for a year for the phone to go lower in price is not a feasable answer

Matt, they can make a phone waterproof with a removable back

most phones can be dunked in water for 2-3 minutes and have no issues even though there not Ip rated, my lg g5 for examples even though was a flop due to overpriced of the accesories, this phone is not plastic

it does not need to be plastic, it can be leather, sandstone, wood, concealing the battery is just better for sales the following year, because 3 years that phone will be in the bin, even if that person will buy a new phone every year anyways because they like new stuff, that person sells it on ebay and so on, the money loss is on the lower end market with people buying 1-2 year flagships

would I buy a samsung a3 or whatever there cheap phones called if i could just get a s6/s7 and put new battery in.
Just wondering what 4 year old phone compares to my Note 8?

Who ever has to buy a new battery nowadays?
benjammin3162 h, 6 m ago

Just wondering what 4 year old phone compares to my Note 8?Who ever has to …Just wondering what 4 year old phone compares to my Note 8?Who ever has to buy a new battery nowadays?

His wording was wrong,

But if you take a 4 year old phone, so the Note 4 for example, if you take the phone and install a custom rom to debloat the software and set it up to be lean, the ram is similar, and opening apps is only losing out by 1 second, 2 seconds, its nothing to quibble over and if your only a casual user you really do not need the faster phone

we are now going to be charging 20p tax on plastic cups and 10p for bags (tesco) yet samsung and other brands produce millions of cheap devices which a 2-4 year old flagship could be recyled, phones are useless 3 years on the battery will die half way through the day
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants