Mobile WiFi

Posted 2nd Jun 2020
Due to building work we are due to move out of our house soon into temporary accommodation for 4-5 months.

There is no WiFi and as we are both working from home we need to work out what will be a suitable option for us. Due to the amount of Skype video calls and meetings on Teams I'm thinking we will need unlimited data on a rolling contract and it's likely we will both be connected at the same time.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we can use and cost and what device we need to buy etc to get something that is likely to be sufficient and easy to use (we are both crap with technology so the easier the better)!
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
three.co.uk/sto…and

If you aren't in london they still offer 4G I believe.
When you say no wifi do you mean no internet connected? If so the first thing to check if you plan on using cellular is what the reception is for that postcode, if you have access to the property already get a free PAYG sim for each major operator and try making calls from each room.

According to EE my coverage is fine, but I can only talk in one room of the house or halfway down my garden!
Andy Royd will be along soon to give you the best advice. In the meantime just read this
three.co.uk/dis…ack

If you could check out what 4g (5g any chance where u r moving to?) signal is likely to be in your new place, that would help decide. Also, could you tether your phones? Then you could use your other devices on your tethered phones but you will eat your data allowance.
It sounds like you're asking about an internet connection rather than wi-fi.

Wi-fi is just a tech to share things between devices, such as an internet connection.

Can you sign up for landline broadband at the temporary accommodation? May not be practical if it's a caravan or whatever but that's likely the cheapest option for a 1 month contract, especially if the ADSL speeds are decent in that location.
If you are not looking for Broadband at the temporary place because of long contracts, then NowTV Broadband is worth a consideration. They do packages that don't lock you in and you can cancel anytime. ofcourse subject to where you are living, if there is a connection available, if NowTV can provide service there etc....
Sorry, I'm not being clear. We will be in a static on a site so no option to install landline unfortunately.

We both had 4g on our mobile with Three and the owner said Vodaphone were also good too.

I could tether but it will eat up all my data with the amount of Skype and Zoom calls and I'd rather save that for sitting in bed watching Netflix!
Edited by: "rachelandgromit" 2nd Jun
Is it viable to temporarily increase your contract to unlimited data?
tek-monkey02/06/2020 14:27

Is it viable to temporarily increase your contract to unlimited data?

Good point - I've just checked my contract with Three and I actually have unlimited everything! So, how do I make it so we can both use this to work? And will this mean if we are both connected to it I can't make or receive calls? I realise that this is probably a silly question!
rachelandgromit02/06/2020 14:52

Good point - I've just checked my contract with Three and I actually have …Good point - I've just checked my contract with Three and I actually have unlimited everything! So, how do I make it so we can both use this to work? And will this mean if we are both connected to it I can't make or receive calls? I realise that this is probably a silly question!

You just go to your WiFi tethering settings on your phone and connect any other devices you want to your phone as if your phone was your normal WiFi.
tek-monkey02/06/2020 13:50

When you say no wifi do you mean no internet connected? If so the first …When you say no wifi do you mean no internet connected? If so the first thing to check if you plan on using cellular is what the reception is for that postcode, if you have access to the property already get a free PAYG sim for each major operator and try making calls from each room.According to EE my coverage is fine, but I can only talk in one room of the house or halfway down my garden!

Does your phone not allow WiFi calling?
ncd02/06/2020 15:27

Does your phone not allow WiFi calling?

No idea I've never used it
TallYoda02/06/2020 15:03

You just go to your WiFi tethering settings on your phone and connect any …You just go to your WiFi tethering settings on your phone and connect any other devices you want to your phone as if your phone was your normal WiFi.

Yoda is right. Set up tethering on both your phones. You can then use all your other devices to connect to either phone so that the device will then connect to internet/www just as if the device were connected to normal broadband. speed may be an issue.
as for wifi calling mentioned by someone else; you can only use this to phone somebody when connected to broadband/landline - so you could use it today but not after you have moved out. doesn't really matter anyway seeing as you have unlimited everything
are you a home owner, or rented?

I only ask because we have to move out of a rented property soon, and still haven’t been told if we have to pay for the temp accommodation ourselves
Mendoza02/06/2020 16:38

are you a home owner, or rented?I only ask because we have to move out of …are you a home owner, or rented?I only ask because we have to move out of a rented property soon, and still haven’t been told if we have to pay for the temp accommodation ourselves

I'd assume if it's provided by them then you keep paying the usual rent and they sort the actual temp accomodation?
rachelandgromit02/06/2020 15:36

No idea I've never used it

Ah right, go into your phone settings and select your Sim Card. You then might see an option to enable WiFi calling, which then uses your WiFi reception instead of your network reception.

40951700-cf49v.jpg
Just to report back Three is working perfectly using my phone as a portable hotspot. We have been able to watch Netflix on the Firestick with no issues and we have both been using our work iPhones for tethering during work hours which seems to be working fine for us.
Post a comment
@
    Text