Groups

Mobile Wireless Broadband

I'm working away from home for the next 8 weeks and am staying in hotels Mon-Fri. I want to skype the nippers every night, but the hotel charges for broadband are £5 for 1 hour or £15 for 24 hours.

If i remember rightly, you can buy a usb key thing that you plug into your laptop that enables you to connect to the internet no matter where you are.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a good deal please?

Ta muchly in advance!!!!

9 Comments

Banned

i have a t mobile dongle and it is really good x

cant you sit in macdonalds and use their free wifi ? failing that most mobile phone companys have a usb dongle and the people i know who have them say they are great

Original Poster

are these any good for skyping? i see the "3" one has limits of 1, 3 or 7Gb, but don't know how much skype uses. any ideas?

Original Poster

ding;3089718

cant you sit in macdonalds and use their free wifi ?

don't really want to be skyping my kids in a public place, i'd feel uncomfortable with the fact that people could hear me.

Change your hotel to one that doesn't have such rip off charges! or one next door to a mcD

Original Poster

maddogb;3089936

Change your hotel to one that doesn't have such rip off charges! or one … Change your hotel to one that doesn't have such rip off charges! or one next door to a mcD

all hotels in milton keynes charge for internet access, except for wifi in the bar in ramada - but that's a rubbish hotel. anybody else got any useful suggestions?

PapaSmurf;3090092

all hotels in milton keynes charge for internet access, except for wifi … all hotels in milton keynes charge for internet access, except for wifi in the bar in ramada - but that's a rubbish hotel. anybody else got any useful suggestions?

deverevenues.co.uk/fin…tml

PapaSmurf;3089724

are these any good for skyping? i see the "3" one has limits of 1, 3 or … are these any good for skyping? i see the "3" one has limits of 1, 3 or 7Gb, but don't know how much skype uses. any ideas?

Skype uses up to 16KB/s: support.skype.com/ind…151

So if you were to spend an hour a night talking that's 60 minutes of 60 seconds each at 16KB/s maximum or 60x60x16 = 57600KB, or 56.25MB. A month's worth (31x56.25) is 1743.75MB or 1.7GB. That is the absolute maximum, I wouldn't be surprised if it used half that in practice.

That is just for audio presumably, video is likely to use up a lot more.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Spotify Family Premium share715
      2. word association Game73944490
      3. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423
      4. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1929

See more discussions