Groups

mobiles unlocked from 3rd party sites/ how to check if unlocked

hi guys i'm looking at a phone from a private seller. he doenst know if itis unlocked or not & doesnt have another networks sim to try. he says he got it as an upgrade
    i have looked on the netwrok retailers website & cannot find the phone which hasnt been out that long. i'm wondering if he got it from a 3rd party site (eg phone house, zapper, phones limited) if this was the case would the handset have came unlocked?
    or does anyone know another way to check if the device is unlocked

16 Comments

I thought.. Although never tried. You can find out from sites like IMEI.info

If he says where he got it from shop and network wise you'll probably be able to find their policy or others here could help.

Tbh you can get free / £1 sims all over the shop so that's a lame excuse.

I'll state the obvious as a final point. You sure you want to buy a phone someone got on upgrade anyway?

If they stop paying their bill then you'll likely end up with a paperweight.

Original Poster

wayners

I thought.. Although never tried. You can find out from sites like … I thought.. Although never tried. You can find out from sites like IMEI.info

i'm on imei info just now but cant see a bit where it tells me if its unlocked or nlocked to a network

offer to by it as locked. it's up to seller to prove it's unlocked. either that or walk away.

Original Poster

doncoop

If he says where he got it from shop and network wise you'll probably be … If he says where he got it from shop and network wise you'll probably be able to find their policy or others here could help. Tbh you can get free / £1 sims all over the shop so that's a lame excuse. I'll state the obvious as a final point. You sure you want to buy a phone someone got on upgrade anyway? If they stop paying their bill then you'll likely end up with a paperweight.

i get your point about having another sim but to be fair if i had no reason to have another sim from a different netwrok i wouldnt so its not unusual. though irritating someone in his family or house cant have one.
    he says he bought it off ebay from someone who got it as an upgrade on ee.

Original Poster

jonnithomas

offer to by it as locked. it's up to seller to prove it's unlocked. … offer to by it as locked. it's up to seller to prove it's unlocked. either that or walk away.

i didnt understand that?

little_green

i get your point about having another sim but to be fair if i had no … i get your point about having another sim but to be fair if i had no reason to have another sim from a different netwrok i wouldnt so its not unusual. though irritating someone in his family or house cant have one.he says he bought it off ebay from someone who got it as an upgrade on ee.

All he needs to do is report it stolen and claim on his insurance and you've got a £300 brick on your hands! I'd buy it from a reputable company.

acholmes2000

All he needs to do is report it stolen and claim on his insurance and … All he needs to do is report it stolen and claim on his insurance and you've got a £300 brick on your hands! I'd buy it from a reputable company.

locked phones aren't worth as much. if the network it is on is the same as yours buy it but at a lower price. if not and he hasn't got the brains to put a different sim in then it isn't worth the hassle as there are loads of second hand phones about.

he can buy a different sim of newsagents or amazon. it's easy.

Original Poster

acholmes2000

All he needs to do is report it stolen and claim on his insurance and … All he needs to do is report it stolen and claim on his insurance and you've got a £300 brick on your hands! I'd buy it from a reputable company.

he's selling it on ebay so really dont think he would do that seeing as there will be proof of the sale

little_green

i get your point about having another sim but to be fair if i had no … i get your point about having another sim but to be fair if i had no reason to have another sim from a different netwrok i wouldnt so its not unusual. though irritating someone in his family or house cant have one.he says he bought it off ebay from someone who got it as an upgrade on ee.

​Yeah understand he might not have one but he's selling a phone, it's not a hardship to find the info or get a free one online.

No offence, but I wouldn't buy. An upgrade twice removed. You have zero control over that handset.

What device is it?

Original Poster

doncoop

​Yeah understand he might not have one but he's selling a phone, it's not … ​Yeah understand he might not have one but he's selling a phone, it's not a hardship to find the info or get a free one online. No offence, but I wouldn't buy. An upgrade twice removed. You have zero control over that handset.

lol yeah as much control as those who buy ones from china

little_green

lol yeah as much control as those who buy ones from china

​To a point I agree. However if buying from China, I could do research and make an informed decision. I think buying a phone which was an upgrade, which is being sold by a second person eBay is just a blind luck decision.

How much to unlock it if in the worst case scenario it is locked?

little_green

hi guys i'm looking at a phone from a private seller. he doenst … hi guys i'm looking at a phone from a private seller. he doenst know if itis unlocked or not & doesnt have another networks sim to try. he says he got it as an upgradei have looked on the netwrok retailers website & cannot find the phone which hasnt been out that long. i'm wondering if he got it from a 3rd party site (eg phone house, zapper, phones limited) if this was the case would the handset have came unlocked?or does anyone know another way to check if the device is unlocked

Is it being sold as locked to a certain network? If so is that network no good to you?

If its being sold as unlocked the seller needs to confirm this, as has been said, most suppliers will post out free pay as you go sims, or at worst they cost 99p.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1618
      2. Iptv1228
      3. Music download79
      4. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67

See more discussions