mobiles.co.uk hacked everyone bank details and more stolen

Found 8th Aug 2015
im fumming just had this of mobiles.co.uk

Web

Important message from Mobiles.co.uk

Dear Customer,

I am writing to you as a precaution after we discovered on the 5th of August that some of our IT systems had been subjected to a sophisticated cyber attack.

We immediately took action to secure these systems and launched a full investigation with a leading cyber security firm to help us understand the impact of this attack. Our investigation is still going on.

At this stage, our investigation indicates that some of the data held on our systems has been accessed and this may include some of your personal details, including your name, address, date of birth and bank details.

We take the security of your data extremely seriously, and we have put in place additional security measures to prevent further attacks. Nevertheless, we felt it was important to let you know as soon as possible.

To reduce the risk of fraudulent activity, we recommend that you consider taking the following steps:
Notifying your bank and credit card company, so that they can monitor activity on your accountChecking for suspicious or unexpected online or account activityBe careful of anyone calling asking for personal information, bank details or passwordsYou can check your credit rating to make sure no one has taken out loan and credit in your name. You can do this by visiting Experian or EquifaxIf you think you have been a victim of fraud you should report it to Action Fraud, the UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre, on 0300 123 2040.

I appreciate that this is potentially concerning for you and I am very sorry that this attack on us has caused this inconvenience. 

Yours sincerely

Bobbie Bhogal
Managing Director

so if you ever a contract with them fear the worse .could i take claim against them for not securing my details
Community Updates
MiscMobilesMobile Phone
47 Comments
I've been on bbc news 24 hour channel today discussing this and bbc 5 live this evening.
On again tomorrow morning and had an article going to press for Sunday.
Been a mad day all from one tweet I sent.
Not happy at all!
Going to be a pain now with my bank.
They've pulled mobiles.co.uk website down now.
Banned
The affected division of Carphone Warehouse operates the websites OneStopPhoneShop.com, e2save.com and Mobiles.co.uk and provides services to iD Mobile, TalkTalk Mobile, Talk Mobile and some Carphone Warehouse customers.
Posted earlier
I know it's inconvenient but why worry too much? it's the banks and ccc's that take the hit. Let them do the worrying.Just follow their advice and you should be fine.
Banned
CookinBat

I know it's inconvenient but why worry too much? it's the banks and ccc's … I know it's inconvenient but why worry too much? it's the banks and ccc's that take the hit. Let them do the worrying.Just follow their advice and you should be fine.

Have you ever tried cleaning incorrect entries from a credit file, or applying for credit with a CIFAS warning on there?
Sadly this will continue to happen on a weekly basis , the hackers will always be ahead of the website security - indeed they see it as a challenge . Of course you are protected , so just monitor your on line accounts - as we all should do on a regular basis . Ebay, CPW who knows who is next ? Monitor your on line accounts , as you should do anyway , change passwords regularly and remember they will have your details for ever (if you don't change them ) they may not have just got round to selling them / using them yet .
Banned
rogparki

Sadly this will continue to happen on a weekly basis , the hackers will … Sadly this will continue to happen on a weekly basis , the hackers will always be ahead of the website security - indeed they see it as a challenge . Of course you are protected , so just monitor your on line accounts - as we all should do on a regular basis . Ebay, CPW who knows who is next ? Monitor your on line accounts , as you should do anyway , change passwords regularly and remember they will have your details for ever (if you don't change them ) they may not have just got round to selling them / using them yet .

Problem is, with the data they have, ID fraud would be pretty easy, and you might not find out for months or years.
"im fumming just had this of mobiles.co.uk" , "so if you ever a contract with them fear the worse .could i take claim against them for not securing my details"

get a grip and a life you've lost nothing,can you take a claim out against them ? no you cant.
I've had the email too. Not best pleased. Was about to order stuff from Currys, but decided to go with Amazon instead. I realise Currys are supposed to be unaffected, but I won't be taking a chance.
andrewhislop

Problem is, with the data they have, ID fraud would be pretty easy, and … Problem is, with the data they have, ID fraud would be pretty easy, and you might not find out for months or years.

Very true ,but you are protected against fraud for your banking etc . I suppose its between the banks and CPW ,EBay ,whoever to who pays eventually for any monies fraudulently obtained . Its an excellent point though - Credit Reference agencies - How would we know unless we check ? I can see legislation having to be brought in to make CRAs inform us of our credit worthiness on a regular basis - Top tip sell any shares you may have in said firms .
rogparki

Very true ,but you are protected against fraud for your banking etc . I … Very true ,but you are protected against fraud for your banking etc . I suppose its between the banks and CPW ,EBay ,whoever to who pays eventually for any monies fraudulently obtained . Its an excellent point though - Credit Reference agencies - How would we know unless we check ? I can see legislation having to be brought in to make CRAs inform us of our credit worthiness on a regular basis - Top tip sell any shares you may have in said firms .

Awful tip considering many will decide it's worth having a paid subscription to a CRA

Gotta love the internet, its full of experts X)
noddle.co.uk free credit report monthly..end of story..
markq

Awful tip considering many will decide it's worth having a paid … Awful tip considering many will decide it's worth having a paid subscription to a CRA :|Gotta love the internet, its full of experts X)

Strange - You are agreeing with me ,and I with you oO Have you had a couple more than me on this lovely Saturday night / Sunday morning -else I fail to see your point (_;)
rogparki

Strange - You are agreeing with me ,and I with you oO Have you had a … Strange - You are agreeing with me ,and I with you oO Have you had a couple more than me on this lovely Saturday night / Sunday morning -else I fail to see your point (_;)

I may have had a few, but I still seem to have a better understanding lol

You stated Top tip sell shares in said firms (having last mentioned CRA's).

I stated awful tip as many people will take up (paid) subscriptions with said firms.

I am confused as to how you are confused dear boy
Thank god we have a government that is taking steps to ban the encryption that these dangerous hackers use to communicate.
markq

I may have had a few, but I still seem to have a better understanding … I may have had a few, but I still seem to have a better understanding lolYou stated Top tip sell shares in said firms (having last mentioned CRA's). I stated awful tip as many people will take up (paid) subscriptions with said firms.I am confused as to how you are confused dear boy

Ah , I understand , CRAs make a lot of their money from folks paying to get their reports (subscription or one off) , if legislation is brought in to require them to inform folks ,free of charge , then a chunk of their income would disappear overnight . As I'm sure you know the stock market works on perceptions of a company's profitability many months in advance - hence the mere hint that they may have to give their data away for free means their stock prices could get a kicking . Not saying it will happen but something to bear in mind were you minded to buy say Experion shares from your Grannys inheritance .
rogparki

Ah , I understand , CRAs make a lot of their money from folks paying to … Ah , I understand , CRAs make a lot of their money from folks paying to get their reports (subscription or one off) , if legislation is brought in to require them to inform folks ,free of charge , then a chunk of their income would disappear overnight . As I'm sure you know the stock market works on perceptions of a company's profitability many months in advance - hence the mere hint that they may have to give their data away for free means their stock prices could get a kicking . Not saying it will happen but something to bear in mind were you minded to buy say Experion shares from your Grannys inheritance .

My argument is based on the current state of affairs and the likely knock on affect in the short to mid term.

Your's not only requires for new legislation to be brought in (a lengthy process which hasnt even been so much as touted) making it a requirement for CRA's to inform the public, but also for them to be required to do it for free (something that is completely preposterous as if it was free, they would no longer exist to be in a position to notify said public).

Whose example holds more merit over the next few months or even the next year?

But thank you for the attempt at giving a Financial Advisor an economics lesson, it was most entertaining if not educational

ps Thanks for the condescending inference that I must be drunk and the only way I could afford to buy shares would be due to an inheritance, your charm has creeped from deals into misc I see

Sorry if my reply appears incoherent, toodle pip, off to get a refill of Diamond White from the offie to keep me warm in my cardboard box.

pps Convenient how you jumped from
Top tip: sell shares
to
Dont buy shares

Two completely different circumstances requiring different rationale.
Edited by: "markq" 9th Aug 2015
Rubisco

Thank god we have a government that is taking steps to ban the encryption … Thank god we have a government that is taking steps to ban the encryption that these dangerous hackers use to communicate.

You mean the type of encryption that could have protected these details in the first place?
anewman

You mean the type of encryption that could have protected these details … You mean the type of encryption that could have protected these details in the first place?

Yes that's what Rubisco means X)
from what I've read the Carphone website itself is not affected(so far)
theguardian.com/bus…sed

theregister.co.uk/201…ch/
Edited by: "Wongy110" 9th Aug 2015
I got the email too....but it's been 6 years since had a phone with them and changed bank accounts and closed old account so I'm guessing I can ignore the email. ..
secretmsg

noddle.co.uk free credit report monthly..end of story..

​noddle not 100%. they had me at 5/5 but I was turned down for a bank account which was very odd. checked experian and I had 16 bad records. all not mine and all removed.
Sometimes a 'sophisticated attack by hackers' is no more than a dodgy employee selling the info.

Edited by: "Mark2111" 9th Aug 2015
rogparki

Ah , I understand , CRAs make a lot of their money from folks paying to … Ah , I understand , CRAs make a lot of their money from folks paying to get their reports (subscription or one off) , if legislation is brought in to require them to inform folks ,free of charge , then a chunk of their income would disappear overnight . As I'm sure you know the stock market works on perceptions of a company's profitability many months in advance - hence the mere hint that they may have to give their data away for free means their stock prices could get a kicking . Not saying it will happen but something to bear in mind were you minded to buy say Experion shares from your Grannys inheritance .

CRAs would not take a big hit at all if they had to provide a cheaper or free monthly reporting system.
The vast majority of their income comes from charging companies that use their services to provide credit.
Yes they would lose money but that could be passed to credit companies, who in turn would pass it onto companies using their services, who in turn pass it to the consumer. Who avoided paying £10 a month.
Rubisco

Thank god we have a government that is taking steps to ban the encryption … Thank god we have a government that is taking steps to ban the encryption that these dangerous hackers use to communicate.

Good point, I agree...remove the shadows that these criminals operate in even if not everyone in the shadows is a criminal.
"Can I claim against them" wow...
davewave

Good point, I agree...remove the shadows that these criminals operate in … Good point, I agree...remove the shadows that these criminals operate in even if not everyone in the shadows is a criminal.

​You do realise that was sarcasm

Some Of The Data Held On Our Systems Has Been Accessed

All.
shame that criminals have put so many people at risk. would hate for this to happen to me. Hopefully they find the perpetrators.
no idea what account/card I used at the time and I see the login page does not work anymore on mobiles.co.uk
Had a talk mobile account so thought i would check my credit reports. Noddle has now downgraded me from 4/5 last month to 1/5. Just signed up to Experian who list me as the highest score, hmm.
if you cannot login how you gonna submit cashback ?
too early to check credit report with noddle so your 4/5 has nothing to do with mobiles.co.uk
noddle update the free credit files once a month and even then it is not "up to date" as not all banks etc submit the status of the accounts right away to credit agencies
Can we leave our contracts early with no penalties cause of this?
I'm a bit concerned that I can't access my account to redeem my cashback vouchers on my contract - the only reason I took out a contract....
A lot of the time i give companies a false date of birth, they have no reason to know the date i was born.
lumsdot

A lot of the time i give companies a false date of birth, they have no … A lot of the time i give companies a false date of birth, they have no reason to know the date i was born.

they need it for the credit check (companies for mobile contracts for example)
Oh dear I give a false dob as well.
Anyone else can confirm this
I may be wrong
when you request a credit file the credit agencies are asking for the dob
if you had a mobile contract accepted with false dob then why worry; only issue is when you hav e to call customer services (network direct) you have to remember the dob used
Edited by: "csteff" 10th Aug 2015
trott3r

Oh dear I give a false dob as well.Anyone else can confirm this

If you let me know your real Date of Birth, I will check it against the data taken from "new digital empire" entrepreneur, Bobbie Bhogal:

[ mobiletoday.co.uk/new…spx ]
(21 March 2013)
---
...He said: ‘Our initial focus is not on sales. The most important thing is to set up the right structure. We need to get the call centre ready, get people trained and adapt the website and make it easy to use. If we can achieve that this year, then I will be happy.’
---
finally had the email on my e2save account today... how many days after the news reported it ?!
still nothing from mobiles.co.uk

and still cant log in to accounts
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions