Groups

mobiles.co.uk not paying out cashback

I bought a sim contract via mobiles.co.uk. It was advertised on TCB as paying £26.25 but I only got paid £10.50 so I raised a ticket.

The claim was sent to mobiles.co.uk and after 10 months, they have finally come back with they are not prepared to pay any more than £10.50 as that is the correct cashback. Clearly this is not the case as I have evidence to the contrary, which TCB had agreed with to raise the ticket.

TCB states that as mobiles.co.uk has not coughed up, there is nothing further that they can do.

I know that cashbacks are never guaranteed but it is annoying that people state that they will pay a specified amount then pays a smaller amount and get away with it.

There is no come back with cashback claims, it's not like I can write a complaint to customer service or anything like that, but I just want to vent my frustration at retailers not keeping their promises.

23 Comments

Banned

Oh. The drama mutley..

Whilst you are complaining can you bring up the fact that Quidco still owe me £35 from Direct Line as they only coughed up half of what they were supposed to. It would save me time going through a whole lot of rigmarole for no result.

Cheers..

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

Oh. The drama mutley..Whilst you are complaining can you bring up the … Oh. The drama mutley..Whilst you are complaining can you bring up the fact that Quidco still owe me £35 from Direct Line as they only coughed up half of what they were supposed to. It would save me time going through a whole lot of rigmarole for no result.Cheers..

I have had claims refused from Tesco, which came back with reason as this claim is not valid but that is not the case. You don't get to do anything when a claim is refused so it is pot luck if you get any cashback at all.

I don't feel so bad when a claim is refused as one that pays less than what it promised. Not sure why, but I do

http://static.hotukdeals.com/images/avatars/avatar86015_20.jpg

Banned

mutley1

I have had claims refused from Tesco, which came back with reason as this … I have had claims refused from Tesco, which came back with reason as this claim is not valid but that is not the case. You don't get to do anything when a claim is refused so it is pot luck if you get any cashback at all.I don't feel so bad when a claim is refused as one that pays less than what it promised. Not sure why, but I do

All you can do is complain & provide evidence & leave it with them.

Cashback could almost have it's own whinge thread to be honest.

Banned

Just had over £100 back from sky.

http://www.sharegif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/21/money-gif-25.gif

Mutley, your days are so full...

...of things going wrong X) (sorry, meant )

MrScotchBonnet

Just had over £100 back from sky.

​I still haven't had any cash back from sky since January

Banned

maccy1

Mutley, your days are so full......of things going wrong X) (sorry, … Mutley, your days are so full......of things going wrong X) (sorry, meant )

Frank Spencer

Banned

krish1980

​I still haven't had any cash back from sky since January

Haven't even got Sky, just fancied using that gif.

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

Haven't even got Sky, just fancied using that gif.

I had sky cashback from quidco. Same problem. They only paid £10 when they promised £100. Raised a query and a year later it got paid. Not sure if sky coughed up or whether quidco paid it themselves. Was a long time ago so it may have been quidco paid out of their own pocket.

It's never guaranteed, move on.

mutley1

I had sky cashback from quidco. Same problem. They only paid £10 when … I had sky cashback from quidco. Same problem. They only paid £10 when they promised £100. Raised a query and a year later it got paid. Not sure if sky coughed up or whether quidco paid it themselves. Was a long time ago so it may have been quidco paid out of their own pocket.

I have a feeling it was Sky who randomly ran across it again and decided to pay. BT declined my broadband cashback and TCB chased it up, no joy. One year later it lands in my account.

Original Poster

ttttd

I have a feeling it was Sky who randomly ran across it again and decided … I have a feeling it was Sky who randomly ran across it again and decided to pay. BT declined my broadband cashback and TCB chased it up, no joy. One year later it lands in my account.

I have had cashback tracked but then dissapears before it becomes payable. I don't notice so it becomes too late to raise a ticket. I have found that 80% of the time, when i raise a ticket, the cashback gets paid so worth doing so.

the cashback sites themselves keep the cash

send them an email telling them you are leaving the site for the competition see how fast it's deposited ( they do it in the hope you don't query the claim )

what you see on the screen also isn't the amount that the cashback sites receive ( £100 cashback the cashback company receives £130-£150 99% of cashback transactions are paid to the company sometimes they get greedy and try to keep the lot)

The AA are ones that never pay out. I don't even look at their products now.

I wonder whether anyone has tried taking Quidco/Topcashback to the small claims court. Although they would tell you vehemently that they don't guarantee cashback, I suspect that the legal position is not quite as black and white as they would like you to believe. They are offering you a cash incentive to use links on their site to earn you (and them though they don't actually admit that) some money. The contract is between you and Quidco and, if you correctly perform your part of the contract then they should perform theirs.

They offer you a share of the commission that they get from referrals to various retailers. Firstly, if they tell you that they haven't received the commission on your transaction, why not ask them to prove it? They would have to do that in a court of law and it shouldn't be all that difficult if you know when you used their link. Secondly, you need to ask them what steps they have taken to get the commission from the retailer. If they have a large number of refusals from the same retailer then surely it would be worth their while to take action against that retailer to recover their (and their customers') money.

I tried these tactics with Quidco over non-payment of cashback of about £60 which they claimed had been refused. Over the course of exchanging several emails, Quidco shifted their position from outright refusal to pay up until eventually they offered me about 70% of the cashback due 'out of their own resources' (LOL), which I accepted.

I suppose the bottom line is how much effort (and cash) you are prepared to put in to getting relatively small amounts of money. They know you're unlikely to go to the small claims court over anything under £50 odd as there is no guarantee that you will win. But, if the amount is more then it may be worthwhile.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

The AA are ones that never pay out. I don't even look at their products … The AA are ones that never pay out. I don't even look at their products now.

I find that if you use any sort of discount code then the cashback will be rejected.
    Unreliable ones for me were

Sky
    Tesco
    Ocado
    Asda

So pretty much the supermarkets.

Original Poster

RonChew

I wonder whether anyone has tried taking Quidco/Topcashback to the small … I wonder whether anyone has tried taking Quidco/Topcashback to the small claims court. Although they would tell you vehemently that they don't guarantee cashback, I suspect that the legal position is not quite as black and white as they would like you to believe. They are offering you a cash incentive to use links on their site to earn you (and them though they don't actually admit that) some money. The contract is between you and Quidco and, if you correctly perform your part of the contract then they should perform theirs.They offer you a share of the commission that they get from referrals to various retailers. Firstly, if they tell you that they haven't received the commission on your transaction, why not ask them to prove it? They would have to do that in a court of law and it shouldn't be all that difficult if you know when you used their link. Secondly, you need to ask them what steps they have taken to get the commission from the retailer. If they have a large number of refusals from the same retailer then surely it would be worth their while to take action against that retailer to recover their (and their customers') money.I tried these tactics with Quidco over non-payment of cashback of about £60 which they claimed had been refused. Over the course of exchanging several emails, Quidco shifted their position from outright refusal to pay up until eventually they offered me about 70% of the cashback due 'out of their own resources' (LOL), which I accepted.I suppose the bottom line is how much effort (and cash) you are prepared to put in to getting relatively small amounts of money. They know you're unlikely to go to the small claims court over anything under £50 odd as there is no guarantee that you will win. But, if the amount is more then it may be worthwhile.

They state on their site that if the retailer doesn't pay, there is no further action that you can take. So it will not be possible to take them to court as the buyer is already aware of what the terms & conditions are and have accpted them. I believe that the retailer are at fault as TCB would not want to lose customers by not paying out.

It is in their interest to try and collect from the retailer and pass on to the buyer what they advertised as bad publicity and grumbled buyers will end their business model eventually.

mutley1

They state on their site that if the retailer doesn't pay, there is no … They state on their site that if the retailer doesn't pay, there is no further action that you can take. So it will not be possible to take them to court as the buyer is already aware of what the terms & conditions are and have accpted them. I believe that the retailer are at fault as TCB would not want to lose customers by not paying out.It is in their interest to try and collect from the retailer and pass on to the buyer what they advertised as bad publicity and grumbled buyers will end their business model eventually.

Although you accept those T&Cs it might not be legal for them to put it in like that. When part of a contract conflicts with the law, the law supersedes it. It is definitely an interesting idea.

mutley1

They state on their site that if the retailer doesn't pay, there is no … They state on their site that if the retailer doesn't pay, there is no further action that you can take. So it will not be possible to take them to court as the buyer is already aware of what the terms & conditions are and have accpted them. I believe that the retailer are at fault as TCB would not want to lose customers by not paying out.It is in their interest to try and collect from the retailer and pass on to the buyer what they advertised as bad publicity and grumbled buyers will end their business model eventually.

That's what they say and they rely on it not being worth anyone's while to challenge whether or not they are legally correct. My view is that they probably aren't because of the Consumer Rights Act.

If you're happy to believe everything the likes of TCB tell you then you're going to get scammed on a regular basis.

Original Poster

@tttttttd and ronchew, you guys may have a point as certain terms and conditions are not enforceable in law. Problem is that, if we really take the cashback sites to task, it may become uneconomical for them to operate then instead of something, we will end up with nothing.

Don't look at a gift horse in the mouth and all that. It would be better for the cashback sites not to advertise unreliable retailers as we all know some of the retailers are well known for not paying up.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …270928
      2. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831735
      3. Your dream gaming set up?2657
      4. word association Game72944189

See more discussions