Mobility scooter battery help please

Found 23rd Apr 2016
I have a 2 year old mobility scooter I replaced batteries and since then after a month of replacing them the charge isn't holding. Normally I would get 4 hours use now its 2.Ive tried 2 lots of batteries in 2 months. Any help much appreciated. 2 hours use is 2 hours charge but I charge full cycle 8 hours so I know thats not to blame.
Community Updates
26 Comments
You need to go to a mobility shop, as unfortunately there are a lot of cheap and nasty batteries out there, you pay for what you get, on the other hand have you had the charger checked? As it could also be that?
westy125

You need to go to a mobility shop, as unfortunately there are a lot of … You need to go to a mobility shop, as unfortunately there are a lot of cheap and nasty batteries out there, you pay for what you get, on the other hand have you had the charger checked? As it could also be that?

​^^^
Original Poster
westy125

You need to go to a mobility shop, as unfortunately there are a lot of … You need to go to a mobility shop, as unfortunately there are a lot of cheap and nasty batteries out there, you pay for what you get, on the other hand have you had the charger checked? As it could also be that?

thanks for that. I bought them from lloyds and they replaced them. I haven't gone to mobility shop as they want £50 before they will look at them. Think I will try buying a charger. So thanks for that.
cj41

thanks for that. I bought them from lloyds and they replaced them. I … thanks for that. I bought them from lloyds and they replaced them. I haven't gone to mobility shop as they want £50 before they will look at them. Think I will try buying a charger. So thanks for that.

​Ok but that may also not sort it if the problem is cheap batteries? Getting a charger checked ie the charge rate with a meter, also any good reputable mobility place should have a good battery tester like an RTC one that checks everything, good luck
Original Poster
westy125

​Ok but that may also not sort it if the problem is cheap batteries? G … ​Ok but that may also not sort it if the problem is cheap batteries? Getting a charger checked ie the charge rate with a meter, also any good reputable mobility place should have a good battery tester like an RTC one that checks everything, good luck

I got batteries from lloyd pharmacy where I originally ordered scooter online so they should be ok. Thankyou for your help much appreciated.
It's not your charger,if it gets any charge at all your charger is fine, it looks to be your batteries at fault, what make and amp hours are they? (14 years experience with mobility scooters)
need to know the amp hours of your original batteries too as they may be different and your make model of scooter will help
Edited by: "_Rappy_" 24th Apr 2016
Original Poster
raptorcigs

need to know the amp hours of your original batteries too as they may be … need to know the amp hours of your original batteries too as they may be different and your make model of scooter will help

I'm sorry I don't know what amp hours are. Scooter is a pride elite gogo. It was original manufacturers batteries they lasted 2 years with no problems. Lloyds sold me 12 amp ub12350 batteries. Thanks for your help.
cj41

I'm sorry I don't know what amp hours are. Scooter is a pride elite gogo. … I'm sorry I don't know what amp hours are. Scooter is a pride elite gogo. It was original manufacturers batteries they lasted 2 years with no problems. Lloyds sold me 12 amp ub12350 batteries. Thanks for your help.

They are 35AH That scooter comes with either 12Ah or 17AH batteries so your new batteries should be better. I am guessing you are still using the original charger, this will take twice to three times longer to charge your new batteries.
Edited by: "Argoj" 24th Apr 2016
Original Poster
Argoj

They are 35AH That scooter comes with either 12Ah or 17AH batteries so … They are 35AH That scooter comes with either 12Ah or 17AH batteries so your new batteries should be better. I am guessing you are still using the original charger, this will take twice to three times longer to charge your new batteries.

Yes I got 12ah originally. I charge for 8 hours after use but yesterday I only got 2 hours use and it took 2 hours for green light to come on but I left them on for 10 hours is that long enough? Thanks
Your charger is a 2 amp so it will give your batteries a full charge in 7 hours if completely flat.
looks like bad batteries
would be great if you could test the voltage of each battery after a 7 hour charge and let me know.
Original Poster
raptorcigs

would be great if you could test the voltage of each battery after a 7 … would be great if you could test the voltage of each battery after a 7 hour charge and let me know.

My local mobility shop charged me £30 last time to check which is why I don't want to ask them again. Batteries I had before this set worked fine for 4 months then completely would just drop charge after an hour which is why they replaced them and they told me to charge for 8 hours a time which I have been doing for the last month.
Original Poster
raptorcigs

would be great if you could test the voltage of each battery after a 7 … would be great if you could test the voltage of each battery after a 7 hour charge and let me know.

Could it possibly be the battery box isn't working properly and only one battery is being used? Or would a scooter not work if this was the case.
cj41

Could it possibly be the battery box isn't working properly and only one … Could it possibly be the battery box isn't working properly and only one battery is being used? Or would a scooter not work if this was the case.

Would not work as the voltage is doubled up
is it stored inside or out as freezing weather can cause problems
Original Poster
raptorcigs

is it stored inside or out as freezing weather can cause problems

The box inside but scooter permenantly in the car
My money is on dud batteries
Original Poster
Just looked I've only had batteries 4 weeks so will give it another 2 then if still the same I will get back in touch with lloyds. Thanks for your help.
There seems to be some confusion here on battery charge times. You are using a 2amp charger on 2 35ah batteries. That's 70ah total. It would take your charger 35 hours to charge those batteries from flat to fully charged. If you add on the recommended 10% for internal resistances that's 38.5 hours. Your charger is showing a green light as its only looking for 24ah as a full charge (your original batteries) so you are getting no where near fully charged batteries.
Hence why your scooter is not running for the normal run time.

2 35ah batteries charged to less then a third full will not run as long as 2 12ah fully charged ones would.

You need to either revert back to 12ah batteries or upgrade your charger.

batteriesbyfisher.com/det…ime

Original Poster
Argoj

There seems to be some confusion here on battery charge times. You are … There seems to be some confusion here on battery charge times. You are using a 2amp charger on 2 35ah batteries. That's 70ah total. It would take your charger 35 hours to charge those batteries from flat to fully charged. If you add on the recommended 10% for internal resistances that's 38.5 hours. Your charger is showing a green light as its only looking for 24ah as a full charge (your original batteries) so you are getting no where near fully charged batteries. Hence why your scooter is not running for the normal run time. 2 35ah batteries charged to less then a third full will not run as long as 2 12ah fully charged ones would. You need to either revert back to 12ah batteries or upgrade your charger. http://batteriesbyfisher.com/determining-charge-time

Sorry must've made mistake batteries are 12ah
That makes more sense, It does sound like you may have a charger problem as you have now tried two sets of batteries.
Do you know anyone near you with the same scooter or even one with the same connection lead as long as the ratings is the same. They are very common, I have one myself and I have found that the support line for llyods to be very good. They have even sent out parts for me to try, one time had a instrument cluster problem and they sent a whole new scooter so I could change over what I needed.

I have found that the batteries respond well to being left on charge no matter how full they are, when ever you are not using the scooter.

Original Poster
Argoj

That makes more sense, It does sound like you may have a charger problem … That makes more sense, It does sound like you may have a charger problem as you have now tried two sets of batteries.Do you know anyone near you with the same scooter or even one with the same connection lead as long as the ratings is the same. They are very common, I have one myself and I have found that the support line for llyods to be very good. They have even sent out parts for me to try, one time had a instrument cluster problem and they sent a whole new scooter so I could change over what I needed. I have found that the batteries respond well to being left on charge no matter how full they are, when ever you are not using the scooter.

Thankyou I will go into mobility shop this week and ask them to test it for me.
Original Poster
raptorcigs

My money is on dud batteries

Just wanted to say thanks. Really thought my motor was away. Phoned lloyds and they sent another set of batteries (said it was last set I could have) and absolutely chuffed it's like brand new scooter again. Thanks again.
cj41

Just wanted to say thanks. Really thought my motor was away. Phoned … Just wanted to say thanks. Really thought my motor was away. Phoned lloyds and they sent another set of batteries (said it was last set I could have) and absolutely chuffed it's like brand new scooter again. Thanks again.

Your'e welcome.
Original Poster
raptorcigs

Your'e welcome.

Hi i was wondering do you fix mobility scooters? Just my batteries have gone again after 12 weeks. Whats really snnoying is it happens over night where they have been perfect and now half the distance. Grrr so annoying
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions