Modded Wii

Found 19th Jan 2009
Looking to get my little one a modded wii, just had a quick look through the site and there seem to be alot of mods available (wii key, softmod, some with 31 wires, some with 6), none makes sense to me.

Which is the best one to get and what are that advantages of the different types of mod available?

It wouldnt be used for online (if wiis do online?), just kiddies games.

Would it be worth buying a cheap 2nd hand wii and get the mod done or just buy a modded one?

Thanks for your help guys.
Will add rep

11 Comments

I'm in the same position, I've been keeping an eye on this new "DriveKey" thing which is apparently out this week last I heard.

gbatemp.net/ind…264
drivekey.com/

Bit of info there and the website for it, don't really know anything about modding Wii's but waiting for the lowdown on this as it's being talked up as a much easier solution to the currently available options.

Just do the Zelda softmod, easy as pie.

I chipped our Wii shortly after Christmas. I bought one of these:

360upgrades.co.uk/ind…136

I used the following instructions to open the Wii and fit the chip:

wii-chip.co.uk/ins…tml

Hope this helps. It plays all the backup games I have put into it.

Original Poster

maggie444;4115354

I chipped our Wii shortly after Christmas. I bought one of … I chipped our Wii shortly after Christmas. I bought one of these:http://www.360upgrades.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_2&products_id=136I used the following instructions to open the Wii and fit the chip:http://www.wii-chip.co.uk/install%20instructions.html#openHope this helps. It plays all the backup games I have put into it.

Thanks for that but i dont think im going to try and attempt anything like that! Cheers for the info anyway

why chip the Wii?

Yeah, best to softmod, you don't have to open up the Wii, it doesn't even alter the firmware, it's just a channel you can delete anytime

Original Poster

Abvance;4115487

Yeah, best to softmod, you don't have to open up the Wii, it doesn't even … Yeah, best to softmod, you don't have to open up the Wii, it doesn't even alter the firmware, it's just a channel you can delete anytime

You say "channel" - does that mean it has to be connected to the internet for it work? :oops:

MANJ_007;4115517

You say "channel" - does that mean it has to be connected to the internet … You say "channel" - does that mean it has to be connected to the internet for it work? :oops:

Nope, unless you want to update

Original Poster

dcx_badass;4115898

Just go for a mod chip, easier in the long run, the softmods keep getting … Just go for a mod chip, easier in the long run, the softmods keep getting blocked. I'd recommend a wiikey 2 [url]www.wiikey.cn[/url] We have the original and it's been great in our wii with no problems for around 18 months it all works fine including online play.

Interesting, if i dont go on to the internet via wii but just played backed up games, can it still be blocked using software on the backed up game?

I would agree a hardmod is more robust, alot just bypass update requests etc but the softmod is easy to remove if you have to send it back / sell it etc.

Softmod does require you to manually remove the update requests from the ISO before burning mind, 1 step process but still something extra to do.

The softmod channel is dead simple to install, even a complete technophobe could follow the steps. Plenty of guides around if you look for them. Requires a copy of Zelda Twilight Princess (legit copy), and SD card and some common sense and the bonus is there is no soldering (although I think you can get clip on chips) or opening the case.

Original Poster

ive gone for the softmod one, got one from the dale forum here pre modded. Thanks for the advice guys
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Donate 2nd hand toys in good condition56
    2. Looking for 9ct gold hoop earrings please?22
    3. Best place to sell gift cards?710
    4. Dell 1250c Printing faint22

See more discussions