Monarch Airlines goes into administration - All flights cancelled (What happens next)

Editor 33
Found 2nd Oct 2017
2804217-9VxpG.jpg
Sad news for everybody involved. Monarch have gone into administration and all flights have been cancelled. The Civil Aviation Authority has advised Monarch customers not to travel to the airport. Travellers currently abroad for the next 14 days are being informed that they will be brought back to the UK with no cost to them, informing that there is no need to cut short their stay.

Advice to Monarch customers, issued by CAA

• Customers in the UK yet to travel: don't go to the airport
  • Customers abroad: everyone due to fly in the next fortnight will be brought back to the UK at no cost to them. There is no need to cut short your stay
  • All affected customers should check monarch.caa.co.uk for more information
  • The CAA also has a 24-hour helpline: 0300 303 2800 from the UK and Ireland and +44 1753 330330 from overseas

2804217.jpg
Monarch Airlines has ceased trading

Monarch has confirmed that the following companies have ceased trading and now entered administration:

• Monarch Airlines Ltd
  • Monarch Holidays Ltd (ATOL Number 2275)
  • First Aviation Ltd (ATOL Number 4888) previously trading as Monarch Airlines
  • Avro Ltd (ATOL Number 1939)
  • Somewhere2stay Ltd

As a result, we are sorry to inform you that, as of 2 October 2017, all future holidays and flights provided by these companies have been cancelled and are no longer operating.

This is an unprecedented situation and because there are up to 110,000 passengers abroad, the UK Government has asked the CAA to coordinate flights back to the UK for all Monarch customers currently overseas. These new flights will be at no extra cost to you.

If you are already abroad you will find all the information you need about your new flight on this website.

If you are due to depart from a UK airport with Monarch Airlines today or in the future, please do not travel to your UK airport as your flight will not be operating.

Customers already abroad

If you are currently abroad and due to return to the UK on or before 15 October 2017 we are making arrangements for you to return home to the UK on a new flight, at the end of your holiday. These new flights will be at no extra cost to you.

We will of course prioritise vulnerable passengers, including unaccompanied minors, and make sure that family groups travel on the same flights.

For further advice and details of your new flight please read I am currently abroad.

If you are currently abroad and due to return to the UK after this date, please read the additional information section.

Customers yet to travel out of the UK

We are sorry to inform you that all future holidays and flights booked with Monarch are now cancelled as of 2 October 2017.

If you are booked on a Monarch Airlines flight, please do not go to your UK airport, as your flight will not be operating.

Further information is available at I have a future booking and have not travellled yet.
Community Updates
Misc
34 Comments
Original Poster Editor
What happens next

32149301-0QuTH.jpg
We are making arrangements for all customers originally due to return to the UK on or before 15 October 2017, to return to the UK on a new aircraft at the end of your holiday, at no extra cost to you.

Confirming your new flight back to the UK
  • Details of your new flight should be published a minimum of 48 hours in advance of your original departure time.
  • New flights are published in the my new flight back to the UK pages. In the menu, click on the country that you are in and then select the region or town.
  • If your flight is not listed, please do not worry as flight schedules will be updated frequently. Please continue to check the website, ensuring you refresh the page each time.
  • Do not go to the airport unless your new flight details are confirmed on our website or via a text message or e-mail to the lead passenger on the booking.
  • Once your flight is confirmed, please make a note of the new flight details and travel to the airport arriving at least three hoursbefore your new departure time.

If your flight was part of a holiday booked with Monarch Holidays we have specific advice regarding your accommodation and transfers.

If you are currently abroad and due to return to the UK on or after 16 October 2017, please read the additional information section.

Potential Delays
This is an unprecedented operation with up to 110,000 customers abroad. Consequently, there may be some delays and we would ask you to bear with us while we make the arrangements.

We aim to get you home as close to your original time as possible and we are working around the clock to make this happen. We can assure you that your holiday will not be cut short, as your new flight will not depart before the time of your original Monarch flight.

If your original flight was booked as part of an ATOL protected holiday, you may be able to claim for refreshments and additional necessary overnight accommodation.

If your booking is not ATOL protected, you are not entitled to make a claim for out of pocket expenses and additional nights of hotel accommodation to the CAA, but you may be able to claim from your travel insurer or your credit card company or other payment method.

If you are not sure if your booking is ATOL protected, please see our advice how do I know if I am ATOL protected.

Flying into a different UK airport
Although we will do our best to fly you back to your original UK airport, in some cases you may find that your new flight is to a different UK airport. Unfortunately when arranging flights for so many people this is unavoidable. However, transport will be arranged to transfer you back to your original UK airport at no extra cost to you. Representatives will be there to meet you once you have passed through UK arrivals and provide you with instructions on your transport.

Checking-In for your new flight
Please note that, unless advised, all customers will be required to check-in at the airport. Unfortunately, online check-in will not be available for the majority of flights and all existing boarding passes are no longer valid. This means that there may be longer queues to check-in than normal, so please aim to arrive at least three hours before the departure time of your new flight.

At the airport, look out for your new flight details on the screens and proceed as advised to check-in. Please take your original flight tickets or flight confirmation as evidence of your original booking. You will then be issued with new boarding passes for your new flight when you check-in.
Edited by: "BuzzDuraband" 2nd Oct 2017
Original Poster Editor
I have a future booking and have not travelled yet

We are sorry to inform you that as of 2 October 2017 all holidays and flights booked with Monarch Airlines and Monarch Holidays are now cancelled and customers should not go to the airport. This includes the following companies and trading names:

• Monarch Airlines Ltd
  • Monarch Holidays Ltd (ATOL Number 2275)
  • First Aviation Ltd (ATOL Number 4888) previously trading as Monarch Airlines
  • Avro Ltd (ATOL Number 1939)
  • Somewhere2stay Ltd

Please follow the advice below on claiming a refund for your booking.

Flights booked directly with Monarch Airlines from 15 December 2016 onward
Customers with these bookings are not ATOL protected and are not entitled to make a claim to the CAA. You are advised to contact your card issuer, insurer or PayPal for advice on how to claim a refund.

Flights booked on or before 14 December 2016 directly with First Aviation Ltd trading as Monarch Airlines
If your flight was booked with Monarch Airlines on or before 14 December 2016 and you received an ATOL Certificate stating that your flight is protected with First Aviation, you are ATOL protected. We are making arrangements for refunds to be made as soon as possible to these UK customers.

We will be providing more information on how you should claim shortly. You will be able to submit a claim when we make the Monarch claim form available. Please do not submit a claim until advised to do so.

Bookings made directly with Monarch Airlines from 15 December 2016 onward are not protected by ATOL. For further information please read how do I know if I am ATOL protected.

Holidays booked directly with Monarch Holidays
Customers booked directly with Monarch Holidays are ATOL protected and will have received an ATOL Certificate when they made their booking. We are making arrangements for refunds to be made on these bookings as soon as possible, and we aim to complete this by the end of 2017 at the latest. We will be providing more information on how you should claim shortly. You will be able to submit a claim when we make the Monarch claim form available. Please do not submit a claim until you are advised to do so.

Monarch flights and Monarch Holidays booked through another travel company or travel agent
If you booked a flight or holiday with another travel company or travel agent you should contact them directly about your arrangements. They will be responsible for arranging a new flight or providing a refund for your booking. Please do not submit a claim to the CAA.

If you are not sure how to identify your travel company or whether you are ATOL protected, please see our advice how do I know if I am ATOL protected.
Feel sorry for the 3000 employees
Sad news for everyone involved, glad people will be flown home organized by CAA.
davewave6 m ago

Sad news for everyone involved, glad people will be flown home organized …Sad news for everyone involved, glad people will be flown home organized by CAA.

Its free only if you are flying home in the next 2 weeks if you are on an extended holiday etc out of this window then there willl be charges according to a report earlier on bbc radio 5
archer12044 m ago

Its free only if you are flying home in the next 2 weeks if you are on an …Its free only if you are flying home in the next 2 weeks if you are on an extended holiday etc out of this window then there willl be charges according to a report earlier on bbc radio 5

It would be sensible to have insurance for an extended holiday so hopefully they'll be covered by travel insurance.
had flights only booked for June next year, already sent my chargeback claim to get my money back.
This article on chargeback is very useful and includes a template letter, should anyone find themselves in the same situation as me moneysavingexpert.com/sho…ack

Really feel for the employee's though, and can't help but wonder why the government didn't step in to help try and secure the jobs, with all the interested buyers that were on the scene.
Though perhaps this is the moment the buyers were waiting for and can negotiate a much better deal for parts of the business. Hope the majority of jobs can be saved.
I was due to fly with Monarch this weekend. Hoping that my travel agent can rearrange my flights. 🙏
Their Twitter page:

'we've closed down and this page will no longer me monitored '.

Great. Thanks for that.
Sad news indeed.
Anyone have a brief explanation for the demise of this company?
I knew I shouldn't have booked a flight for Friday 13th..
deeky44 m ago

Their Twitter page:'we've closed down and this page will no longer me …Their Twitter page:'we've closed down and this page will no longer me monitored '.Great. Thanks for that.

Pretty sure that's quite standard for a company that's gone into Administration, everything is handled by the administrators so not some work experience lad on the Twitter desk at Monarch HQ.
deeky1 h, 11 m ago

Their Twitter page:'we've closed down and this page will no longer me …Their Twitter page:'we've closed down and this page will no longer me monitored '.Great. Thanks for that.

I'm confused.

Were you expecting someone who's just lost their job this morning to keep the page going on a voluntary basis?
ScoobyStoo31 m ago

I'm confused. Were you expecting someone who's just lost their job this …I'm confused. Were you expecting someone who's just lost their job this morning to keep the page going on a voluntary basis?

I would expect someone from Monarch or the administrators to arrange for at least one person to be available to monitor the Twitter page to answer questions from worried customers.
Edited by: "deeky" 2nd Oct 2017
According to the Chief Exec.

“The root cause is the closure, due to terrorism, of Sharm-El-Sheikh and Tunisia and the decimation of Turkey.”

So the banning of flights to Sharm from the UK, less revenue, bit of brexit currency rate shenanigans and EasyJet and RyanAir have given them a good kicking in the market.

One possible upside is that the Monarch pilots can get jobs with Ryanair, although they may not want to work with Ryanair's culture.
DKLS6 m ago

According to the Chief Exec.“The root cause is the closure, due to t …According to the Chief Exec.“The root cause is the closure, due to terrorism, of Sharm-El-Sheikh and Tunisia and the decimation of Turkey.”So the banning of flights to Sharm from the UK, less revenue, bit of brexit currency rate shenanigans and EasyJet and RyanAir have given them a good kicking in the market.One possible upside is that the Monarch pilots can get jobs with Ryanair, although they may not want to work with Ryanair's culture.

Talk about luck of the Irish. Looks like this misfortune will eventually get someone out of a Michael O'Leary sized hole.
Destard1 h, 34 m ago

Sad news indeed.Anyone have a brief explanation for the demise of this …Sad news indeed.Anyone have a brief explanation for the demise of this company?

they weren't successful enough vs. their competition.
deeky2 h, 25 m ago

I would expect someone from Monarch or the administrators to arrange for …I would expect someone from Monarch or the administrators to arrange for at least one person to be available to monitor the Twitter page to answer questions from worried customers.

They have setup a website and a telephone hotline. Given that they have 100,000 people to get home I think shutting down their Twitter page isn't unreasonable.
ScoobyStoo12 m ago

They have setup a website and a telephone hotline. Given that they have …They have setup a website and a telephone hotline. Given that they have 100,000 people to get home I think shutting down their Twitter page isn't unreasonable.

OK.
deeky3 h, 47 m ago

I would expect someone from Monarch or the administrators to arrange for …I would expect someone from Monarch or the administrators to arrange for at least one person to be available to monitor the Twitter page to answer questions from worried customers.

You think that one person would be able to deal with the twitter questions of hundreds of thousands of people?
Speedbirdjw2 m ago

You think that one person would be able to deal with the twitter questions …You think that one person would be able to deal with the twitter questions of hundreds of thousands of people?

2 then.
deeky7 m ago

2 then.

i would have gone to at least 3. and an intern.
Ashame... They were a good budget airline imo.
deeky38 m ago

2 then.

I think people should just do what they can to sort their travel plans out themselves and maybe consider a lost holiday isn't as bad as a lost job, career, or home
Speedbirdjw1 h, 24 m ago

I think people should just do what they can to sort their travel plans out …I think people should just do what they can to sort their travel plans out themselves and maybe consider a lost holiday isn't as bad as a lost job, career, or home

or as bad as dying. Its all relative so please dont apply judgement on people who are peeved at losing their holiday, its only natural.
davewave1 h, 17 m ago

or as bad as dying. Its all relative so please dont apply judgement on …or as bad as dying. Its all relative so please dont apply judgement on people who are peeved at losing their holiday, its only natural.

Quite. But suggesting a company going into administration should have a single voluntary representative to answer questions on twitter is quite frankly ridiculous
w
Speedbirdjw7 m ago

Quite. But suggesting a company going into administration should have a …Quite. But suggesting a company going into administration should have a single voluntary representative to answer questions on twitter is quite frankly ridiculous

well since almost everyone will get flights free on UK taxpayers back then they really shouldn't be spending cash on the questions which have almost certainly been answered by CAA
Edited by: "davewave" 2nd Oct 2017
at least there will now be extra pilots literally desperate for work, on what ever terms they can get, I bet the ryanair pilots that have been causing trouble are shitting a brick now....

you reap what you sow, you reap what you sow.
travelweekly.co.uk/art…ash

O’Leary said: “Both Monarch and Norwegian are in trouble. It’s an open secret among airlines that Monarch and Norwegian may not survive through the winter. They are burning cash.
eset123453 h, 10 m ago

at least there will now be extra pilots literally desperate for work, on …at least there will now be extra pilots literally desperate for work, on what ever terms they can get, I bet the ryanair pilots that have been causing trouble are shitting a brick now....you reap what you sow, you reap what you sow.

Not really seen as none of them will be type qualified to fly a 737 that Ryanair operate. And when you say Ryanair pilots causing trouble, I assume you mean taking their annual leave they're entitled to take? Do you think maybe Ryanair haven't hired enough pilots if they can't afford to let their pilots take a holiday?
Monarch's collapse is not so surprising when you realise that they had already been rescued from near-collapse in 2014 and only just managed to stay in business this time last year after the Civil Aviation Authority allowed them a 12 day extension to give them extra time to find the funding they needed before the CAA would grant them their annual ATOL licence.
Edited by: "Robbo11" 3rd Oct 2017
tempt10 h, 14 m ago

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/286590/oleary-claims-norwegian-air-running-out-of-cashO’Leary said: “Both Monarch and Norwegian are in trouble. It’s an open secret among airlines that Monarch and Norwegian may not survive through the winter. They are burning cash.

More piffle from oleary

Norwegian made a net profit of £110,000,000 in their latest financial year
chocci17 h, 54 m ago

More piffle from olearyNorwegian made a net profit of £110,000,000 in …More piffle from olearyNorwegian made a net profit of £110,000,000 in their latest financial year

Hope you are right just spend a grand on flights for jan
waterloo7 h, 25 m ago

Hope you are right just spend a grand on flights for jan

Me too as I have 4 flights booked with them for next year already

I did check their year end results
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants