Monarch Airlines is handed a 24-hour reprieve as rescue plans are launched for 100,000 passengers to be repatriated

SuperEd 36
Found 1st Oct 2017
Very sad to see but looks like Monarch are on the brink of collapse and a HUGE 100,000 holiday makers could run into trouble

2803713.jpg
Stricken airline Monarch was handed a 24-hour reprieve last night as it teetered on the brink of financial collapse.

Britain's fifth biggest airline is locked in talks over a last-minute rescue amid fears that 100,000 customers could be left stranded.

Government sources said preparations have already begun for a 'mass repatriation' of passengers should the worst happen.

The Foreign Office has alerted consulates in Monarch's destination cities to call in extra staff.

Looks like it's sadly going to happen but hopefully something can be sorted (fingers crossed)

Source & full story

Update - Monarch Airlines Atol licence extended for 24 hours by CAA (Midnight 1st Oct) Link
Community Updates
Top comments
should be good for Ryanair... they need some pilots!!
36 Comments
I read it will impact Monarch holidays but I guess this could mean all monarch flights are grounded?

due to fly with them in 2 weeks so wondering if I should be quick on the ball to book an easyJet flight
Balls, due to fly with them in November
jamesWHUFC8 m ago

I read it will impact Monarch holidays but I guess this could mean all …I read it will impact Monarch holidays but I guess this could mean all monarch flights are grounded?due to fly with them in 2 weeks so wondering if I should be quick on the ball to book an easyJet flight

Probably need to rebook hotel too if monarch haven't paid them

Thankfully, your holiday insurance should cover it all.
Edited by: "chocci" 1st Oct 2017
chocci4 m ago

Probably need to rebook hotel too if monarch haven't paid themThankfully, …Probably need to rebook hotel too if monarch haven't paid themThankfully, your holiday insurance should cover it all.

I only have a single flight booked out there. The return is with easyJet and the hotel is seperate
Also have flights booked for 2 weeks time,hmmmmm
I am flying with them next Sunday. Flights only
Oh dear .... currently in crete due to fly back on a monarch flight on Tuesday evening
jamesWHUFC2 h, 30 m ago

I read it will impact Monarch holidays but I guess this could mean all …I read it will impact Monarch holidays but I guess this could mean all monarch flights are grounded?due to fly with them in 2 weeks so wondering if I should be quick on the ball to book an easyJet flight

Take a walk on the wild side and book one with Ryan Air.
Booked 1 week holiday going 2 weeks today with first choice, flight happens to be with Monarch (typical) no idea what to do. First holiday in 11yrs. Any advice?
Did not see this coming.
What are (were?) Monarch like compared to the other low cost airlines?
It's only their licence to sell package holidays that's in jeopardy, flight only booking are not in danger at this point.

moneysavingexpert.com/new…458
saintscouple2 m ago

It's only their licence to sell package holidays that's in jeopardy, …It's only their licence to sell package holidays that's in jeopardy, flight only booking are not in danger at this point. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/10/monarch-flights-atol-licence?_ga=2.251831627.330557258.1506859837-929008590.1494589458

Yes but all their flight prices have taken a massive jump too which can't bode well. They basically are not sellingflights now
Edited by: "jamesWHUFC" 1st Oct 2017
jamesWHUFC1 h, 9 m ago

Yes but all their flight prices have taken a massive jump too which can't …Yes but all their flight prices have taken a massive jump too which can't bode well. They basically are not sellingflights now

Ouch, yeah you're right, just checked. We have flights booked with them for June next year, and prices are double for when we booked.
I just need to keep an eye and if they sell the short-haul flights to the likes of EasyJet, will my flights transfer as well, or will i lose them and have to do a chargeback, same as if they fold without being bought out?
I think they will be the only 2 options, can't see the parent company bailing them out again..... i read the restructuring they quote is selling the short-haul flights and concentrate only on long-haul.
I've contacted my travel agent, as I'm due to fly with them next Saturday. It's only their package holidays that are affected. If you only have flights with them, you will not be affected.
nightmare97711 h, 22 m ago

I've contacted my travel agent, as I'm due to fly with them next Saturday. …I've contacted my travel agent, as I'm due to fly with them next Saturday. It's only their package holidays that are affected. If you only have flights with them, you will not be affected.

We will all be affected if the company collapses (and that's a real possibility), package and flight only.
32145845-bnqRa.jpg
MSN now quoting Monarch prices being quadrupled to discourage people from buying flights.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 1st Oct 2017
Was only on their site 3 days ago looking at flights/holidays.

Lucky escape.
Destard4 h, 23 m ago

Did not see this coming.What are (were?) Monarch like compared to the …Did not see this coming.What are (were?) Monarch like compared to the other low cost airlines?

Monarch have been in trouble for four years.
I used to work for MAEL, their engineering side, ten years ago and Monarch Airlines always used to bail us out when we were short of cash. Monarch Airlines have been struggling for quite a while. They were owned by a single German/Swiss family since their inception but sold out to private equity a few years ago as they almost went bust. All employee pensions were moved to the government pension scheme to guarantee 85% of their value etc. They almost collapsed 12 months ago but survived due to a small injection of funds by the private equity people. They are doomed unfortunately which is a shame as they are a good company.
jamesWHUFC7 h, 35 m ago

Snap - my honeymoon is due to commence two weeks today (whole package booked direct with them) - Monarch are saying nothing...have no idea what to do right now.
Edited by: "Y2Jono" 1st Oct 2017
They're ATOL protected so if the worst does happenyou will get refunded.
meanwhile search if you can find an alternative destination so that you're prepared if something further happens.
Monarch gone into administration at 4am this morning
Atol will refund holidays only. Takes months though.

All future flights cancelled. Do not go to the airports.
ainsy691st Oct

Balls, due to fly with them in November

We are a party of ten flying with them in November too. A1 travel have told us this morning that we have been transferred to a Ryan Air flight at no extra cost, just 50 minutes earlier than our original flight. Fingers crossed for you!!
julianferdinand1st Oct

Wouldn't give Ryanair the time of day the way they handledo their problem ...sincerely hope nobody works for them like the pilots ..they were the ones demanding better work and pay that started the ball rolling for Ryanair in the first place...he's a greedy twat with no scruples. .he probably wants to go bankrupt time get out of paying any compensation and wages. .then will come back under another name ugggggh
Terrible shame about Monarch ..just been away with them and their service and pilots are so nice ..not like ryanair .they deserve better...Ryanair has no scruples. .he's just a greedy power hungry **** that doesn't care about anything except figures he's making...monarch on the other hand have scruples and very good customer care...
Shouldon't be Ryanair not them going under..c.a.a...been too soft on Michael o leary
Edited by moderator: "removed swear" 2nd Oct 2017
ok here comes my two penneth...

Monarch have been badly run & "assets" stripped for the last few years, couple that with an outdated business model of package hols to the Costas they've been left behind by more innovative companies giving the consumer more choices & flexibility.

Quite stressful for some customers right now but they'll be brought back without any drama & the pilots/crew will stroll into positions with new employers in no time at all.
this whole industry is booming & expanding all the time
Lauren.Maris16 h, 55 m ago

We are a party of ten flying with them in November too. A1 travel have …We are a party of ten flying with them in November too. A1 travel have told us this morning that we have been transferred to a Ryan Air flight at no extra cost, just 50 minutes earlier than our original flight. Fingers crossed for you!!

I booked with Monarch directly, managed to rebook with Jet2 for similar price so now hoping for a refund as I paid via PayPal.
Dark.Energy2nd Oct

ok here comes my two penneth...Monarch have been badly run & "assets" …ok here comes my two penneth...Monarch have been badly run & "assets" stripped for the last few years, couple that with an outdated business model of package hols to the Costas they've been left behind by more innovative companies giving the consumer more choices & flexibility.Quite stressful for some customers right now but they'll be brought back without any drama & the pilots/crew will stroll into positions with new employers in no time at all.this whole industry is booming & expanding all the time

I agree apart from your last line. This industry isn't booming or expanding. It's quite the opposite atm.
julianferdinand1st Oct

You obviously have no idea what you're taking about. Monarch fly Airbus and Ryanair fly Boeing.....
RedLozzer4th Oct

You obviously have no idea what you're taking about. Monarch fly Airbus …You obviously have no idea what you're taking about. Monarch fly Airbus and Ryanair fly Boeing.....

I notice that Monarch Had 45 Boeing Aircraft on order, the first due first quarter of 2018. I'm sure they would have started preparing pilots for that by now!! and No I have know idea what I'm talking about but I can search and read the internet!!
julianferdinand17 h, 56 m ago

I notice that Monarch Had 45 Boeing Aircraft on order, the first due first …I notice that Monarch Had 45 Boeing Aircraft on order, the first due first quarter of 2018. I'm sure they would have started preparing pilots for that by now!! and No I have know idea what I'm talking about but I can search and read the internet!!

it's not exactly the most ardous task to get a type rating for a family of aircraft, be it the 737 or the A320

couple of weeks training and Boeing pilots can fly Airbus, and vice versa
julianferdinand9th Oct

I notice that Monarch Had 45 Boeing Aircraft on order, the first due first …I notice that Monarch Had 45 Boeing Aircraft on order, the first due first quarter of 2018. I'm sure they would have started preparing pilots for that by now!! and No I have know idea what I'm talking about but I can search and read the internet!!

Touche sir.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions