Expired

money counting machine in banks for free???

14 replies
Found 31st Jan 2008
i read on here i think or mse that there was a bank who has the same machine which counts money in asda (and charges u a small commission) for free. anybody know which bank this is

14 Comments

I heard some HSBC banks had a free money machine in but you need to hold an account,I'm sure it was HSBC.

Yes, it was HSBC. There isn't one in my branch (Grantham) though..

Yes it was HSBC although they haven't got any in branches near me (Bradford) and the staff did not have a clue about this when I questioned them!

All banks have them, cashiers!

Surely you can just put money in your account :roll:

cralittlewood;1528744

Yes it was HSBC although they haven't got any in branches near me … Yes it was HSBC although they haven't got any in branches near me (Bradford) and the staff did not have a clue about this when I questioned them!

just follow the sound of lotsa coins jangling together ... lol.

Original Poster

ta everyone for ur help

owlass;1528764

All banks have them, cashiers!Surely you can just put money in your … All banks have them, cashiers!Surely you can just put money in your account :roll:

When I last tried to put coinage in my Abbey account they got all arsey about 'well we can only take 10p (slight exageration) worth at a time' they should take whatever you have by law, it's all money at the end of the day. I got shed loads of shrapnel in old whiskey bottles that I should change up.

I've got one in my Barclays bank but the only problem is it never seems to be working

Some banks will take only a few bags of coins for adult account where childrens accounts are usually not limited.

COINS:

Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amount:

£5 (Crown) - for any amount

£2 - for any amount

£1 - for any amount

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

from this link ]http//ww…spx

JackUzi;1529054

When I last tried to put coinage in my Abbey account they got all arsey … When I last tried to put coinage in my Abbey account they got all arsey about 'well we can only take 10p (slight exageration) worth at a time' they should take whatever you have by law, it's all money at the end of the day. I got shed loads of shrapnel in old whiskey bottles that I should change up.

From ]wikipedia:
Only coins valued 1 pound Sterling, 2 pounds, and 5 pounds Sterling are legal tender in unlimited amounts throughout the territory of the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom legislation that introduced the 1 pound coin left no United Kingdom-wide legal tender banknote.

Currently, 20 pence pieces, 25 pence coins (although many retail outlets do not recognise or accept this) and 50 pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 10 pounds; 5 pence pieces and 10 pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 5 pounds; and 1 penny pieces and 2 pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 20 pence.

That's if you're buying something or paying a debt (still surprised me though :?).

A bank can't refuse to take money that you're putting into an account!
If they did, i'd soon be going elsewhere :x

owlass;1533040

That's if you're buying something or paying a debt (still surprised me … That's if you're buying something or paying a debt (still surprised me though :?).A bank can't refuse to take money that you're putting into an account!If they did, i'd soon be going elsewhere :x

I have been refused on at least a couple of occasions when I have tried to take money (coinage) into a bank. Once I had about twenty pounds in change (can't remember exact amount but it wasn't huge) and the bank refused point blank to change it for me. I had an account with them and everything. They told me I could pay it into my child's account but I then wouldn't be allowed to take it straight out again. I was in such a fury I was almost in tears - but it was that horrible fury when you know there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I went into Aladdin's Cave (cheap shop) a couple of doors down, explained to them, and they changed it for me no problem. Like they said, money is money.
Another time, in the Halifax, I wanted to pay some money into my account, coinage again. They refused and even though I argued that they were a bank, dealing with money, and I was trying to give them money, they point blank refused to take the money and put it in my account.
Then, another time, I need to take a large amount of cash out of my account (Halifax again) and I phoned them up so they would know I needed £1,500 in cash by such and such a day. They told me I couldn't have that much until the following week. I laughed and said "it's MY money, and I want it. You are a bank, you deal with money, you HAVE money, don't tell me I can't have my money". They had to make all sorts of phone calls, kept me on hold, had a chat with a manager somewhere, then grudgingly told me I could go in for the cash in two days' time.
Banks, I hate those places. Bankers, every single one of them!!!!

I would have freaked if that happened :x
I hope you closed your account with them.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769367
    2. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3280
    3. Happy Bandi Chorr Diwas and Happy Diwali!1214
    4. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…47

See more discussions