Groups

Money exchange here or Iceland

Should I buy their money here or sell pound there for best exchange rate?

9 Comments

You dont need cash at all in Icelandic money. They take credit cards for everything, even small items. We've been twice and its really easy to pay for stuff

They don't have their own money only frozen food.

Original Poster

bigworlds

You dont need cash at all in Icelandic money. They take credit cards for … You dont need cash at all in Icelandic money. They take credit cards for everything, even small items. We've been twice and its really easy to pay for stuff

didn't have any credit card on me only debit card. I think when I use my card in Paris there's a small fee bcz of exchange rate if I'm not mistaken.

Original Poster

m4rky2011

They don't have their own money only frozen food.

Yeah I heard we have to barter our own kids for their frozen food, I didn't have any so...

If you've got a few days before you go get a Revalut card and load sterling on to it. We went to Reykjavik in February and used the card for everything, didn't carry cash at all. You'll find it really expensive at the moment too, there is a duty free in the arrivals hall,near where you collect your luggage, so good idea to stock up on booze as you arrive.
    Edited by: "booky" 20th Apr

Original Poster

booky

If you've got a few days before you go get a Revalut card and load … If you've got a few days before you go get a Revalut card and load sterling on to it. We went to Reykjavik in February and used the card for everything, didn't carry cash at all. You'll find it really expensive at the moment too, there is a duty free in the arrivals hall,near where you collect your luggage, so good idea to stock up on booze as you arrive.

going to iceland tommorrow(wish I know this earlier), just skimmed Revolut website and they got nice rate. Is it true there is no fee whatsoever when using their card for spending abroad?
    Edited by: "decade" 20th Apr

No fees and they guarantee best exchange rate at the time of your use, you also get a text a few minutes after you've used it which shows how much you've spent and the exchange rate used. As you're off tomorrow the best alternative would be to use a cash machine (in arrivals) and draw out a reasonable amount in one hit. We love the place, easy to walk around the city and great trips available. Whale watching should be good at this time of year too, the opera house is stunning as is the cathedral, enjoy!
    Edited by: "booky" 20th Apr

Original Poster

booky

No fees and they guarantee best exchange rate at the time of your use, … No fees and they guarantee best exchange rate at the time of your use, you also get a text a few minutes after you've used it which shows how much you've spent and the exchange rate used. As you're off tomorrow the best alternative would be to use a cash machine (in arrivals) and draw out a reasonable amount in one hit. We love the place, easy to walk around the city and great trips available. Whale watching should be good at this time of year too, the opera house is stunning as is the cathedral, enjoy!

thanks!

Iceland is very much a 'cash free' place, everywhere takes card, even for the smallest of transactions. I used my Norwich & Peterborough card, but the Halifax Clarity worked equally as well there. Get alcohol in duty free, it is far, far cheaper and look out for Bonus stores for food, etc. as they are much cheaper. It is an expensive place, we got married there.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky or virgin33
      2. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2330
      3. Which android box?510
      4. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup34

See more discussions