Money Saving Expert energy comparison question.

Posted 6th Jan
Looking at changing my energy supplier/s (same or different, depends on quotes). I have an issue though, and can't find the answer on the site.
When I do a comparison, it compares energy cost per unit, and gives me a saving of @ £290 pa. But does this include standing charges? If it does the comparison results are simple and straightforward if not then, as the standing charges vary from 9p a day to 30p a day (dependant on supplier) , then the results are inaccurate as this could make a difference of £72 per year.

Does anyone know if the standing charge is included in the calculations please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Anytime i have done a comparison it has included the standing charges, so i would assume so.
I would also assume any comparison site would include standing charges or else results would be meaningless.
I’d like to know to as getting overcharged with current provider but don’t want to change until after my second payment of the warm home discount
Yes it does.

You can click in to each quote to see the breakdown of the costs.
i also think the comparisons are with your current companies standard tariff and not a fixed rate tariff that you may be on worth looking into as the savings might not be quite as good as you may think.
SmokinAce706/01/2020 16:10

Anytime i have done a comparison it has included the standing charges, so …Anytime i have done a comparison it has included the standing charges, so i would assume so.

Not according to their FAQ's.

"How does the comparison calculator work?

The calculator estimates your current energy usage based on your annual kilowatt hour (kWh) usage, your bill amount or the answers to the estimator questions provided.

It takes (or calculates) your current kWh usage by comparing the data you supply with the unit costs of your current tariff. Next, this is multiplied against the kWh unit costs of other tariffs provided by other suppliers in your area.

Any additional savings offered by the supplier based on payment or billing types are also taken into account. The estimated annual savings figure is calculated by subtracting the costs of other tariffs from your current costs.
I'd ignore what the websites say and do all the leg work yourself.

I've found the best way to do a comparison is get a spreadsheet going and break it all down and have 8t side by side to compare

First column have your current tarriff, then have the 5 cheapest quotes after that, all broken down by standing charge and unit price (electric and gas separate )

Then use common number of days /units to calculate how much would be and then decide which supplier you want to go to, cheapest isn't necessarily the best.
I'm just doing mine and I hate doing gas and electric, I don't mind anything else as I like a challenge, but this seriously winds me up

I've had only one so far that was cheaper than the one I can go on with my present supplier and that wasn't a big saving.

I always think if the one you move to is a more expensive standing charge, you're always going to have to pay that no matter what usage, if you manage to cut down on your gas/electric use, you can save money doing that (whether one will or not is a different matter )

I'm not sure about all this advertising about big savings etc, I always think that's if you've never changed and are changing for the first time or if you're on a standard tariff.
Edited by: "maccy1i" 6th Jan
funniestgizmo06/01/2020 16:44

i also think the comparisons are with your current companies standard …i also think the comparisons are with your current companies standard tariff and not a fixed rate tariff that you may be on worth looking into as the savings might not be quite as good as you may think.

How can that be if you put what tariff you're on and your usage in?
it will include any standing charge. i use the list to find two or three of the cheapest providers. i then look at the tariff name and find the tariff on the provider website and do my own calculations on the projected annual usage from my latest bill with the tariff from the new providers.

i find that the comparison sites often overestimate the savings as they don't always have accurate tariff information on your existing tariff. doing my own calculations can sometimes change the results of who is the cheapest provider.
maccy1i06/01/2020 17:46

How can that be if you put what tariff you're on and your usage in?

I found when I recently changed that the tariff on the comparison site was actually different to what I was on even though I'd picked the right one
anyone know whether the unit prices quoted are ex vat or inc vat?
redmouse206/01/2020 18:31

Click on the quote and it shows you. I'm almost certain it will be inc. VAT
redmouse206/01/2020 18:31

they won't include VAT. this is calculated separately at the end of the bill.
Sc4mp006/01/2020 18:27

I found when I recently changed that the tariff on the comparison site was …I found when I recently changed that the tariff on the comparison site was actually different to what I was on even though I'd picked the right one

To be fair, I just don't trust any of them, I've tried going through the cashback sites and get a completely different quote, it doesn't help that most of them have a trillion and 1 tariffs. Best going for one that's reasonable/or near enough to what you're paying, but has a no exit fee.
Ringfinger06/01/2020 17:16

Not according to their FAQ's."How does the comparison calculator work? …Not according to their FAQ's."How does the comparison calculator work? The calculator estimates your current energy usage based on your annual kilowatt hour (kWh) usage, your bill amount or the answers to the estimator questions provided.It takes (or calculates) your current kWh usage by comparing the data you supply with the unit costs of your current tariff. Next, this is multiplied against the kWh unit costs of other tariffs provided by other suppliers in your area.Any additional savings offered by the supplier based on payment or billing types are also taken into account. The estimated annual savings figure is calculated by subtracting the costs of other tariffs from your current costs.

Fair enough, but the sites I have used always show the standing charge included
I’ve recently been looking and Yorkshire energy seem to be the cheapest I can find and prices are fixed until Sep 2021. Low standing charges and relatively lower or on par KWh charges too. Website says prices in quote includes VAT
Further to the last, call me sceptical but I can’t find this company on comparison sites... maybe because the comparison sites don’t make money by you taking this product?!
MarmiteMiner07/01/2020 19:58

Further to the last, call me sceptical but I can’t find this company on c …Further to the last, call me sceptical but I can’t find this company on comparison sites... maybe because the comparison sites don’t make money by you taking this product?!

I've just signed up to Yorkshire Energy (then I came on here and saw your messages. Strange, eh?) saving me over £300 a year. I found them through Money saving expert energy club, an offshoot of Money Saving Expert. They sent you notifications when you can save money by switching - you set the level of saving at which you would consider saving. They are definitely on there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions