Money Saving Tips...

Found 16th Sep 2017Edited by:"Dilithium"
Savings tips, some old, some new, what are your's?

1. Buy 2 pairs of trousers when buying a suit, preventing you from having a perfectly usable jacket with no matching trousers when one pair is damaged/worn out.

2. Check Direct Debits, sometimes we leave them in place but no longer use the product.

3. If you don't use it lose it, sell anything you don't need on eBay. Check out how much items have previously sold for by clicking the "completed" option.

4. Recheck heat timers. Do you needlessly use the 1 hour boost option because timers are set wrong?

5. Change home lighting to LED, far less expensive and may mean needing one light instead of two.

6. Turn off ovens 5 minutes before the meal is ready, heat will continue to cook.

7. Leaving electrical items on standby uses almost as much electricity as when turned on andin use. Unplug Games Console, TVs and music systems.

8. Supermarket shop after 6pm, no queuing and many food items are priced to clear.

9. Old favourite... Avoid delivery charges on Amazon by placing an item on pre-order to avoid being under £20, cancel the pre-order once the low priced item is sent.

10. Use an old duvet as a mattress topper, saving you money and keeping you warm and comfortable.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Stay off HUKD.
Make your own drinks rather than paying for more expensive ones in bars and supermarkets.

32003121-kRBeB.jpg
Don't throw away your soap when it gets tiny - keep it. When you get enough put it in a microwavable bowl or dish (get lots of free glass dishes from individual desserts). Carefully warm the soap in a microwave until it is almost liquid, then a quick stir and allow it to set. You can mould it when cool enough to handle. And Voila, a new bar of soap. It's also quite fun to do with little children, keeping them away from the hot stuff off course.
Edited by: "mrty" 16th Sep 2017
Plan your menu a week in advance to avoid wastage.
Don't be brand loyal.
Cook from scratch.
Buy in bulk if you have space.
Don't be fooled by supermarket special offers, make sure you know how much the items usually are.
51 Comments
1. Refill handwash bottles with bubble bath soap.
2. Flatten toilet rolls slightly so that they don't unroll quickly and encourage using too much.
3. Don't look any gift horses in the mouth.
Stay off HUKD.
Make your own drinks rather than paying for more expensive ones in bars and supermarkets.

32003121-kRBeB.jpg
Save on wool when making jumpers by having short arms
Use

32003293-Zgj17.jpg

Not these

32003293-1wBoT.jpg
Don't throw away your soap when it gets tiny - keep it. When you get enough put it in a microwavable bowl or dish (get lots of free glass dishes from individual desserts). Carefully warm the soap in a microwave until it is almost liquid, then a quick stir and allow it to set. You can mould it when cool enough to handle. And Voila, a new bar of soap. It's also quite fun to do with little children, keeping them away from the hot stuff off course.
Edited by: "mrty" 16th Sep 2017
Some of you sound like you'd have toilet paper and tea bags on your washing lines
9. Old favourite... Avoid delivery charges on Amazon by placing an item on pre-order to avoid being under £20, cancel the pre-order once the low priced item is sent.***

I never thought of that.
Thanks.
Destard1 h, 25 m ago

***9. Old favourite... Avoid delivery charges on Amazon by placing an item …***9. Old favourite... Avoid delivery charges on Amazon by placing an item on pre-order to avoid being under £20, cancel the pre-order once the low priced item is sent.***I never thought of that.Thanks.

One thing I don't know if people are aware, I certainly wasn't. You can make up a delivery solely of add-on items to make the £20 minimum. Ideal for children's goody bags at parties, Christmas stocking gifts etc.
Destard1 h, 26 m ago

***9. Old favourite... Avoid delivery charges on Amazon by placing an item …***9. Old favourite... Avoid delivery charges on Amazon by placing an item on pre-order to avoid being under £20, cancel the pre-order once the low priced item is sent.***I never thought of that.Thanks.

Didn't they catch on to this some time back ?
and some of the others
'2. Check Direct Debits, sometimes we leave them in place but no longer use the product.'

surely this is very basic home finance ? check your statement/online account at least once a month to make sure you are not being ripped off ?

3. If you don't use it lose it, sell anything you don't need on eBay.

and get ripped off by the buyer no thanks.

5. Change home lighting to LED, far less expensive and may mean needing one light instead of two.

depends if you already have energy saving light bulbs the savings are marginal
best wait until they conk out

7. Leaving electrical items on standby uses almost as much electricity as when turned on andin use. Unplug Games Console, TVs and music systems.

once again marginal savings many modern appliances are just not designed to be fully turned off Xboxes/my TV is it worth your time ?

Apart from that cool

Make cheese from your past it milk just
put it on a very low heat add a spot of lemon juice strain off voila cheese (thanks Fungi)
No 9 is demolished long time ago.
MR11234 m ago

No 9 is demolished long time ago.

? Think I did it a couple of months back
Plan your menu a week in advance to avoid wastage.
Don't be brand loyal.
Cook from scratch.
Buy in bulk if you have space.
Don't be fooled by supermarket special offers, make sure you know how much the items usually are.
Don't spend your readies on stuff you don't 'need'/'want'

easier said than done I know
psychobitchfromhell38 m ago

Plan your menu a week in advance to avoid wastage.Don't be brand …Plan your menu a week in advance to avoid wastage.Don't be brand loyal.Cook from scratch.Buy in bulk if you have space.Don't be fooled by supermarket special offers, make sure you know how much the items usually are.

Sensible advice, thanks.
Get your condoms for free from the GP.
Buy reduced to clear items that go out of date on the day purchased then freeze them until needed.
Wongy1105 h, 26 m ago

5. Change home lighting to LED, far less expensive and may mean needing …5. Change home lighting to LED, far less expensive and may mean needing one light instead of two.depends if you already have energy saving light bulbs the savings are marginal best wait until they conk out7

I agree the savings are marginal, but fluorescent energy saving bulbs gradually lose brightness with usage, but continue to use the same wattage, so it is probably best to replace them before they conk out.

I'd also hang on to a few fluorescent ones as spares because LED bulbs are getting cheaper and better all the time, so it makes little sense to keep a lot of spare LED bulbs in the cupboard unless you've got them very cheap.
Edited by: "melted" 16th Sep 2017
melted4 m ago

I agree the savings are marginal, but fluorescent energy saving bulbs …I agree the savings are marginal, but fluorescent energy saving bulbs gradually lose brightness as they age, so it is probably best to replace them before they conk out.I'd also hang on to a few fluorescent ones as spares because LED bulbs are getting cheaper and better all the time, so it makes little sense to keep a lot of spare LED bulbs in the cupboard unless you've got them very cheap.

Oh really ? didn't know that ta
already switched to LED here anyway
not had one pack up yet

well done on the flamedeer win
Try care of the chemist you can get childs cough mixture and allsorts of other over the counter stuff for free just ask for "care of the chemist"
Save yourself loads of time

by not having to read threads that have previously be posted about "money saving tips"

Where's FP when you need him?
philphil616 m ago

Save yourself loads of timeby not having to read threads that have …Save yourself loads of timeby not having to read threads that have previously be posted about "money saving tips"Where's FP when you need him?

Well seeing as old threads are not 'allowed' to be bumped phill
what is the harm in passing on our 'awesome knowledge'
to the new 'kids' ?
Edited by: "Wongy110" 16th Sep 2017
If you want to impart your knowledge to the 'new kids', the best way would be join the meerkat movies code thread. That's where all the newbies hangout ( think that thread is on page 357 now
Wongy11016 m ago

Well seeing as old threads are not 'allowed' to be bumped phill what is …Well seeing as old threads are not 'allowed' to be bumped phill what is the harm in passing on our 'awesome knowledge'to the new 'kids' ?

AFAIK it was only FS/FT threads that were blocked from being bumped

Yes deals can be reposted after a certain amount of time - but that's obvious

And if your comment is correct then when was the last time your said the same to FP?
OllieSt6 h, 53 m ago

Use [Image] Not these[Image]

That's a good tip, Ollie, but I get dozens of shaves out of one mach3 blade simply by running water through the back of it after a shave (completely ignore the white strip that thins to let you know it's time to change blades - it's just a gimmick, the blade can still be used lots more), and drying it by pushing it forwards over a towel (obviously don't pull it backwards as it'd cut the towel) about 10 -15 times - it actually sharpens it.
philphil618 m ago

AFAIK it was only FS/FT threads that were blocked from being bumpedYes …AFAIK it was only FS/FT threads that were blocked from being bumpedYes deals can be reposted after a certain amount of time - but that's obviousAnd if your comment is correct then when was the last time your said the same to FP?

When did I say any thing about them being 'blocked' ? not sure what that is to be honest(see typing easy)
they get expired/locked and removed
seemingly at random
tryn2help12 m ago

That's a good tip, Ollie, but I get dozens of shaves out of one mach3 …That's a good tip, Ollie, but I get dozens of shaves out of one mach3 blade simply by running water through the back of it after a shave (completely ignore the white strip that thins to let you know it's time to change blades - it's just a gimmick, the blade can still be used lots more), and drying it by pushing it forwards over a towel (obviously don't pull it backwards as it'd cut the towel) about 10 -15 times - it actually sharpens it.

Better on denim,

instructables.com/id/…ng/
raptorcigs55 m ago

Try care of the chemist you can get childs cough mixture and allsorts of …Try care of the chemist you can get childs cough mixture and allsorts of other over the counter stuff for free just ask for "care of the chemist"

Or move to Scotland
blowbrown10 h, 33 m ago

Or move to Scotland

Children's prescriptions are free in England too. The point is not wasting valuable GP time getting that prescription
In England we have a Minor ailments scheme. If you have children this can be SUPER Handy to know about! So many things you can get for free, headlice treatments, threadworm treatments, eczema treatments ect. See the list below for full list
All you need is to be entitled to free prescriptions.
All children are automatically entitled.
Just walk in to a chemist and say you need something from the minor ailments and they'll go and get a piece of paper with a few questions on for you to fill in. Then they give you the item.. easy peasy and saves time at the doctors or A&e

32009489-qtB4s.jpg
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 17th Sep 2017
LeahsMintytoutou23 m ago

In England we have a Minor ailments scheme. If you have children this can …In England we have a Minor ailments scheme. If you have children this can be SUPER Handy to know about! So many things you can get for free, headlice treatments, threadworm treatments, eczema treatments ect. See the list below for full list All you need is to be entitled to free prescriptions.All children are automatically entitled. Just walk in to a chemist and say you need something from the minor ailments and they'll go and get a piece of paper with a few questions on for you to fill in. Then they give you the item.. easy peasy and saves time at the doctors or A&e [Image]

It can't have been easy dealing with all these things. May peace and good health be with you moving forwards.
Saturn25 m ago

It can't have been easy dealing with all these things. May peace and good …It can't have been easy dealing with all these things. May peace and good health be with you moving forwards.

Yeah it took a while.. my immune system is immense now though
LeahsMintytoutou2 h, 6 m ago

In England we have a Minor ailments scheme. If you have children this can …In England we have a Minor ailments scheme. If you have children this can be SUPER Handy to know about! So many things you can get for free, headlice treatments, threadworm treatments, eczema treatments ect. See the list below for full list All you need is to be entitled to free prescriptions.All children are automatically entitled. Just walk in to a chemist and say you need something from the minor ailments and they'll go and get a piece of paper with a few questions on for you to fill in. Then they give you the item.. easy peasy and saves time at the doctors or A&e [Image]

I honestly didn't know this! Funny how many things I have bought from the pharmacy obviously for my daughter and they won't mention it!?
chuckiedoll13 m ago

I honestly didn't know this! Funny how many things I have bought from the …I honestly didn't know this! Funny how many things I have bought from the pharmacy obviously for my daughter and they won't mention it!?

It's worth checking minor ailments near me on google. I think it's not all chemists that do it.. say there are 6 chemists within a 20min walking distance of me, 3 of them will do the minor ailments scheme. If they don't do it they will tell you where u can go. All Lloyds tend to do it (the ones near me do anyway) and a lot of boots. They tend to have a big board somewhere on the wall advertising it but ask if you can't see it, they will point you the right direction

My daughter is 15 now so haven't needed to use it in years but when she was younger I used it a lot for headlice treatments especially. It really is a god send when you need things and are skint. Happy I could bring it to your attention
LeahsMintytoutou53 m ago

It's worth checking minor ailments near me on google. I think it's not all …It's worth checking minor ailments near me on google. I think it's not all chemists that do it.. say there are 6 chemists within a 20min walking distance of me, 3 of them will do the minor ailments scheme. If they don't do it they will tell you where u can go. All Lloyds tend to do it (the ones near me do anyway) and a lot of boots. They tend to have a big board somewhere on the wall advertising it but ask if you can't see it, they will point you the right direction My daughter is 15 now so haven't needed to use it in years but when she was younger I used it a lot for headlice treatments especially. It really is a god send when you need things and are skint. Happy I could bring it to your attention

Thanks. Will have a look. It's a Lloyds pharmacy just over the road from me so. Would be great if they do it!
chuckiedoll3 h, 22 m ago

Thanks. Will have a look. It's a Lloyds pharmacy just over the road from …Thanks. Will have a look. It's a Lloyds pharmacy just over the road from me so. Would be great if they do it!

Pretty sure they will. If you google the actual chemist you want to use I think it will say if it offers minor ailments, it will save you a lot of money
LeahsMintytoutou10 m ago

Pretty sure they will. If you google the actual chemist you want to use I …Pretty sure they will. If you google the actual chemist you want to use I think it will say if it offers minor ailments, it will save you a lot of money

Sadly don't think any in my area do it
Went via nhs website and none in my or next town seem to.
mrty16th Sep

Don't throw away your soap when it gets tiny - keep it. When you get …Don't throw away your soap when it gets tiny - keep it. When you get enough put it in a microwavable bowl or dish (get lots of free glass dishes from individual desserts). Carefully warm the soap in a microwave until it is almost liquid, then a quick stir and allow it to set. You can mould it when cool enough to handle. And Voila, a new bar of soap. It's also quite fun to do with little children, keeping them away from the hot stuff off course.

I just get two soaps and squeeze them together
Don't buy sandwiches or ready meals like I do make your own
"Turn off ovens 5 minutes before the meal is ready, heat will continue to cook." - this has been working out well for me, except I do it with the hob instead of the oven. I've also stopped burning things while I am waiting for other pans to catch up. Nice bonus!

So here's one in return, that I learnt from the manual of my new(ish) fridge freezer.

Always defrost things in the fridge. The extra coldness from the defrosting item means the fridge needs to use less power to keep itself cool. Also less chance of food posioning.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants