Money stuck in HSBC savings account

Found 29th May 2016
I've had a current account at HSBC for yonks, when I set it up it came with a joint savings account, I could freely transfer money to and from my current and savings. I recently switched my current account but the savings account remains open, I have just tried to transfer the money in the savings, but apparently I don't have any open account that allows me to transfer. Is there a way of getting that money out without having to go into branch?
The reason I switched in the first place is because all branches near me open at stupid hours, when the majority of people will be at work!
Community Updates
AskBank Account
6 Comments
Phone up customer services and see if you can transfer it that way. Failing that write a letter requesting a cheque. If you do not need the savings account request closure of the account. They will send you a cheque.
Hope this helps.
The reason you switched was because of stupid opening hours ? Bank opening hours have traditionally been 9_3.30
They were when you opened the account so what has changed ? If you can't get in to the bank , write or call to close the account . Bank workers have families too , would you change your hours of work to accommodate them ?
we had a letter about my sons account saying if we didn't make a transaction by 2 July we would not be able to do so. It suggested doing an Internet transfer between the two accounts. No reason when reactivated you can't do this from time to time.
Most banks savings accounts are internal accounts meaning they cannot transfer externally, give them a call and sort it out.

Agree with the other poster, banks are all the same except those with branches in the major shopping malls. Most people never step in to a branch any way.

The reason you switched was because of stupid opening hours ? Bank … The reason you switched was because of stupid opening hours ? Bank opening hours have traditionally been 9_3.30 They were when you opened the account so what has changed ? If you can't get in to the bank , write or call to close the account . Bank workers have families too , would you change your hours of work to accommodate them ?

I opened the account zonks ago, have just moved to a different town where the bank doesn't open on a Saturday.
Most employees work for the convenience of their customers. Pointless argument, the switch has already occurred.

Thanks Sydney, I phoned but still awaiting my promised email for the cancellation.

I opened the account zonks ago, have just moved to a different town where … I opened the account zonks ago, have just moved to a different town where the bank doesn't open on a Saturday. Most employees work for the convenience of their customers. Pointless argument, the switch has already occurred. Thanks Sydney, I phoned but still awaiting my promised email for the cancellation.

Interestingly I think you'll find most employees work for the convenience of their employers not the customers. For example in this case if your local bank had enough foot flow to make it profitable to open on a Saturday it would. The staff would have to give up their weekend day to work, however if the bank has found that opening is not profitable then it won't open, same goes for choosing it's opening hours during the weekdays. At the moment you will find a number of high street banks reducing their hours and making staff redundant because they want to make the most profit possible. More people are using Internet banking and so branch banking is become less heavily invested in.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants