Expired

Monitor connection help needed

Found 7th Feb 2010
might be simple for someone to know. Bought myself a monitor and have been told it has a dual dvi-i connection.

My graphics card also has a dual dvi-i connection, in order to get this to work would i need a two way dual dvi-i cable or would a dvi-d cable still work in my graphics card and monitor.

Reason i ask is because i cannot find a two way dvi-i cable on ebay and want the cable before i get the monitor.

8 Comments

I think you can get an adapter ie VGA TO DVI..

here- 320484178929 ebay item

Original Poster

i want a digital signal to get better quality. VGA would make it analog, and why i want to stay away from vga

Banned

you just need a dual link dvi cable

play.com/PC/…tml

Original Poster

jubbyme;7781819

you just need a dual link dvi … you just need a dual link dvi cablehttp://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3384316/Belkin-PRO-Series-Digital-Video-Interface-DVI-Cable-Dual-Link/Product.html

so that will work, even though my connection has 4 more pins as those cables are dvi-d

You can use a single cable fine. Dual link is only needed if you want resolutions above (and not including), 1920*[email protected]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/DVI_Connector_Types.svg/277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

Your PC will have DVI-I (Dual Link), Most monitors will only have DVI-D (single or dual depending on the resolution). A DVI-D cable will fit in a DVI-I socket, but a DVI-I cable will not fit in a DVI-D connector (extra 4 pins + strip on left is wider).

The extra pins in DVI-I just carry the analogue signal.

I use this one on ebay 370167246011 £6.49

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7781924

Your PC will have DVI-I (Dual Link), Most monitors will only have DVI-D … Your PC will have DVI-I (Dual Link), Most monitors will only have DVI-D (single or dual depending on the resolution). A DVI-D cable will fit in a DVI-I socket, but a DVI-I cable will not fit in a DVI-D connector (extra 4 pins + strip on left is wider).The extra pins in DVI-I just carry the analogue signal.

Awesome exactly what i wanted to hear. Now i know i can just use my HDMI to dvi-d cable and it will work, saving me a few bucks

bigwheels;7781945

I use this one on ebay 370167246011 £6.49

i spent hours looking for one like that and failed :oops:

thats exactly the one i was looking for

supermod

Thread Closed at OP Request. Thanks for the report.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769181
  2. £2.00 Cash Back fron Topcashback on Pumpkins via the app12
  3. Marmite1722
  4. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2382

See more discussions