Monitor for PC advice please

6 replies
Found 11th Apr
Just built a pc last night.Specs are
Intel i5 3.4Gz
16gb ram
8GB RX480 video card
Windows 10

I'm wanting a 28" monitor which is good for gaming AND photo/video editing(only basic tasks).
Was looking at the ultra wide 34" LG monitor but unsure now.Don't want spend any more than 400
Thanks

1. Ask
  2. Monitor
  3. PC
6 Comments

Everything at £300-400 is a high quality monitor and anyone saying they're 'not suitable' for some use or another is using very stringent criteria. I certainly wouldn't worry about it for more basic use.

The 34UM68 is the Ultra-wide version of a 1920x1080 27" screen, so a good fit if you're looking for something for a deeper desk. It's not freesync LFC unfortunately, but I think that's another £100 at that resolution.

EndlessWaves

Everything at £300-400 is a high quality monitor and anyone saying … Everything at £300-400 is a high quality monitor and anyone saying they're 'not suitable' for some use or another is using very stringent criteria. I certainly wouldn't worry about it for more basic use. The 34UM68 is the Ultra-wide version of a 1920x1080 27" screen, so a good fit if you're looking for something for a deeper desk. It's not freesync LFC unfortunately, but I think that's another £100 at that resolution.

​doesnt it only need display port to have free sync?

BettySwollocks098

​doesnt it only need display port to have free sync?

No. That was only ever a G-sync limitation because nVidia were using their own custom hardware. Displayport Adaptive Sync ('Freesync') was incorporated into the normal monitor electronics from the start.

EndlessWaves

No. That was only ever a G-sync limitation because nVidia were using … No. That was only ever a G-sync limitation because nVidia were using their own custom hardware. Displayport Adaptive Sync ('Freesync') was incorporated into the normal monitor electronics from the start.

​what is the difference between freesync (which comes with everything with DP?) and freesync LFC like you stated in your post?

BettySwollocks098

​what is the difference between freesync (which comes with everything w … ​what is the difference between freesync (which comes with everything with DP?) and freesync LFC like you stated in your post?

Freesync doesn't come with everything with that has a DisplayPort input, although it's heading that way.

LFC is AMD's frame doubling tech to ensure you get the smoothness when a frame lasts longer than the monitor's maximum hold time. It's generally only enabled for screens with a maximum hold time 2.5x longer than the minimum, such as 30hz-75hz.

Although 30-75hz isn't yet as common as I'd have liked, and 25-60hz is unheard of so it's mostly the 100hz+ screens that have it at the moment.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 12th Apr

EndlessWaves

Freesync doesn't come with everything with that has a DisplayPort input, … Freesync doesn't come with everything with that has a DisplayPort input, although it's heading that way.LFC is AMD's frame doubling tech to ensure you get the smoothness when a frame lasts longer than the monitor's maximum hold time. It's generally only enabled for screens with a maximum hold time 2.5x longer than the minimum, such as 30hz-75hz.Although 30-75hz isn't yet as common as I'd have liked, and 25-60hz is unheard of so it's mostly the 100hz+ screens that have it at the moment.

​ok thank you for that!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2128
    2. word association Game74244893
    3. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October56
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769294

See more discussions