Groups

monitor goes to stanby mode Please help

Hi just wondered if any of you computer buffs would be able to help me.

Ive bought a old pc base and everytime i turn it on it makes the monitor go into standby mode,

Ive tried several monitors and it happens to all of them, even tho they all work fine on my other computer

Apparantly it worked fine before i had it.
    any help gratefully appreciated

7 Comments

Do you get any POST info when the PC boots up (screen output/beeps)?

Also Is this an add in graphics card or on-board?

If it is an add in then try re seating the card as it may have been dislodged during transit.

You could also try clearing the BIOS and see if it cures it.

Original Poster

stora

Do you get any POST info when the PC boots up (screen output/beeps)?Also … Do you get any POST info when the PC boots up (screen output/beeps)?Also Is this an add in graphics card or on-board?If it is an add in then try re seating the card as it may have been dislodged during transit.You could also try clearing the BIOS and see if it cures it.

the screen beeps then goes directly to standby without anything coming up on the screen

they never said about the graphics card i presume it came with one (not very computer literate)

wat is BIOS (sorry just a woman lol)

cheers

i think the port which you plug your monitor in is faulty. try moving it about.

ALICOM007

i think the port which you plug your monitor in is faulty. try moving it … i think the port which you plug your monitor in is faulty. try moving it about.

yeh sounds like what the problem is. give a good spray / blow, clear it out. might be dust blocking one of the receptors.

yh or what you can do is if you had a spare graphics card?? you can try plugging it into that lol thats the long way or just clean the computers vga port and try plugging it in.

Original Poster

ok we have lift off after a good clean its finally working altho its not letting me change the resolution of the monitor at mo everything is too big lol

but at least its working

thanks everyone, ill be off trying to sort out the next prob now

thanks again

rep left

good to see its working.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4031709
      2. What is there free to do in your town?2033
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523471
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917268

See more discussions