Groups

Monitor mystery...help!!!

I was given a flat screen monitor for my pc but I have this weird problem, it doesn't come with a power cable and there is no port on the monitor to even accept a power cable. Instead, the VGA cable with it is attached to the monitor and the ends split in two. One I would say is the VGA connection that you put in the PC Tower, but the other connection looks a bit like a VGA connection but isn't, it's a bit bigger, is this what powers the monitor?

Anyway it would save me £40 if someone here can help me get this this to actually turn on! thanks.

8 Comments

Sounds odd. Google for the monitor's brand and model number and add the word "manual", and something informative should come up.

Check the back of the monitor in a little more details, some monitors have cable tidy facias that cover the power port just to enable the wire to hang down a bit neater. Chances are there will be a power port for a kettle type lead on there somewhere. As far as the VGA cable, is it a DVI cable that splits from it? If you dont know it looks very similair to a VGA plug but is bigger has more pins and the pins are more like blades than actaul pins.

If you can give more details regarding model number that would help.
    Edited by: "Celticsun" 18th Nov 2010

It's not expecting an external power supply, is it? One with, say, a coaxial laptop type connector?

I agree with Celticsum: Find out the make and model and google for information on it.

the connection that looks like a vga but a bit bigger might be a DVI cable.

Pictures would be helpful.

As would the brand.

Edited by: "Ungreat" 18th Nov 2010

I have a small monitor like this. The power port was hidden near the top under a rather convenient and sneaky cover. Took me a few head scratching minutes to spot it.

Some_Bloke

It's not expecting an external power supply, is it? One with, say, a … It's not expecting an external power supply, is it? One with, say, a coaxial laptop type connector?I agree with Celticsum: Find out the make and model and google for information on it.

Huh? Coaxial laptop type connector?

I chucked away a montor recently that had no power point on the housing but instead had one on the vga cable that plugged into the desktop - literally on the desktop end. A bit wierd but i couldnt find any way of powering it up as every psu i tried would not fit. In the end the tip !
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??11
      2. Three connection78
      3. Question for electrician on bathroom fan44
      4. Is it worth spending £20k on a car?1722

See more discussions