Monitor problem following windows update

Found 24th Nov 2017
Hi,
My PC running windows 10 did an update this morning and my monitor is now displaying really large icons which are stretched. I managed to do a system restore and it went back to normal but the update has happened again. I checked the settings when it was normal and I need the display at 1920 x 1080 but that option isn't now available. Its only offering me
800 x 600
1024 x 768 (recommended)
1152 x 864
1280 x 1024
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
deleted1597344
Have you checked to see if a graphics driver update is available, sounds like this could be your issue.
Original Poster
GENIUS....thank you so much - normal service has resumed....
Have to watch these windows updates, Microsoft decided the HTC vive was the best display to be my primary one
I had to use the roll back driver on mine
kester7653 m ago

Have to watch these windows updates, Microsoft decided the HTC vive was …Have to watch these windows updates, Microsoft decided the HTC vive was the best display to be my primary one

Apologies to OP for hijacking thread

Any idea why recent Windows Update would affect the playing of mkv files?
I got two systems (a 6 yr old Aldi PC and a Acer Revo)
Recent updates to 1709 on the pc now causes playback quality issues (interference on video and audio) whilst the Acer Revo still plays the same video fine...

Re-installed KLIte Codec Pack and media player (MPC-HC). Video files will now play better in WMP but still have quality issues. Have checked drivers - all up to date
Edited by: "philphil61" 24th Nov 2017
philphil611 h, 8 m ago

Apologies to OP for hijacking threadAny idea why recent Windows Update …Apologies to OP for hijacking threadAny idea why recent Windows Update would affect the playing of mkv files?I got two systems (a 6 yr old Aldi PC and a Acer Revo)Recent updates to 1709 on the pc now causes playback quality issues (interference on video and audio) whilst the Acer Revo still plays the same video fine...Re-installed KLIte Codec Pack and media player (MPC-HC). Video files will now play better in WMP but still have quality issues. Have checked drivers - all up to date

I think the creators pack has some major changes. It's possible they've altered the way hardware playback works. I would check for frame drops to see if that's causing the artifacts.
kester761 h, 12 m ago

I think the creators pack has some major changes. It's possible they've …I think the creators pack has some major changes. It's possible they've altered the way hardware playback works. I would check for frame drops to see if that's causing the artifacts.

Thanks for response
I'll do some research on how to check
philphil6110 h, 21 m ago

Apologies to OP for hijacking threadAny idea why recent Windows Update …Apologies to OP for hijacking threadAny idea why recent Windows Update would affect the playing of mkv files?I got two systems (a 6 yr old Aldi PC and a Acer Revo)Recent updates to 1709 on the pc now causes playback quality issues (interference on video and audio) whilst the Acer Revo still plays the same video fine...Re-installed KLIte Codec Pack and media player (MPC-HC). Video files will now play better in WMP but still have quality issues. Have checked drivers - all up to date

Wmp is awful. Try vlc
chocci7 h, 37 m ago

Wmp is awful. Try vlc

I tried others (but forgot about vlc) and it still seemed to have the same issues. I've now re-installed the graphic drivers (AMD) even though they were up to date) - now a bit better video playing quality but still not as good as the Acer Revo

But thanks for suggestion
philphil614 h, 38 m ago

I tried others (but forgot about vlc) and it still seemed to have the same …I tried others (but forgot about vlc) and it still seemed to have the same issues. I've now re-installed the graphic drivers (AMD) even though they were up to date) - now a bit better video playing quality but still not as good as the Acer RevoBut thanks for suggestion

What's the file type and codec?
This utility is great for locating the file information

mediaarea.net/en/…nfo
chocci5 h, 42 m ago

What's the file type and codec? This utility is great for locating the …What's the file type and codec? This utility is great for locating the file information https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

I mainly download mkv video but I was having similar playback issues with mp4 and avi << that's why I thought it was the recent Windows Update had caused the issues

As kester76 stated "it's possible they've altered the way hardware playback works"

ps already use mediainfo with mkvtoolnix
Edited by: "philphil61" 26th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions