Monitor speakers

Posted 17th Sep
I’m using a monitor to play the Xbox One on and I want to pick up a speaker if possible, does anyone know what would be my best option?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
depend son monitor outputs, assuming it's a 3.5mm jack, best option would be a 2.1 speaker system with a nice sub
Do you mean speakers to go with your monitor or are your specifically looking for active "studio" monitor speakers?
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 17th Sep
Felicitous17/09/2019 13:54

depend son monitor outputs, assuming it's a 3.5mm jack, best option would …depend son monitor outputs, assuming it's a 3.5mm jack, best option would be a 2.1 speaker system with a nice sub

I use a soundbar with an optical input - if you want to use a 3.5mm connection it would rely on the monitor having audio passthrough, or connect it to the controller. Iirc, it depends on the XBox One model for what connections exist.
Xbox -> Optical -> Cheap DAC -> RCA Cable -> Active monitors/speakers such as Mackie, Behringher or Edifier. Whole thing will cost around £100 and sound miles better than anything Logitech make.
alg17/09/2019 14:05

I use a soundbar with an optical input - if you want to use a 3.5mm …I use a soundbar with an optical input - if you want to use a 3.5mm connection it would rely on the monitor having audio passthrough, or connect it to the controller. Iirc, it depends on the XBox One model for what connections exist.

I was thinking about a soundbar but was unsure if it would be able to connect to the xbox one
Haircut_10017/09/2019 14:04

Do you mean speakers to go with your monitor or are your specifically …Do you mean speakers to go with your monitor or are your specifically looking for active "studio" monitor speakers?

Just any speakers to go with the monitor.
What's your budget?

Steljes Audio NS3 are pretty dam good, inputs, RCA, 3.5, Optical and Bluetooth, also theres an output for Sub.

steljesaudio.co.uk/doc…tml

Danze198417/09/2019 14:21

Xbox -> Optical -> Cheap DAC -> RCA Cable -> Active monitors/speakers such …Xbox -> Optical -> Cheap DAC -> RCA Cable -> Active monitors/speakers such as Mackie, Behringher or Edifier. Whole thing will cost around £100 and sound miles better than anything Logitech make.

I like studio monitors but they are tuned flat
Edited by: "4Real2016" 17th Sep
4Real201617/09/2019 17:41

What's your budget?Steljes Audio NS3 are pretty dam good, inputs, RCA, …What's your budget?Steljes Audio NS3 are pretty dam good, inputs, RCA, 3.5, Optical and Bluetooth, also theres an output for Sub.https://www.steljesaudio.co.uk/docs/products/NS3.shtmlI like studio monitors but they are tuned flat

Was just looking for the cheapest option.
WorKev17/09/2019 18:03

Was just looking for the cheapest option.

Ok that will narrow things down then
Danze198417/09/2019 14:21

Xbox -> Optical -> Cheap DAC -> RCA Cable -> Active monitors/speakers such …Xbox -> Optical -> Cheap DAC -> RCA Cable -> Active monitors/speakers such as Mackie, Behringher or Edifier. Whole thing will cost around £100 and sound miles better than anything Logitech make.

agree with the logitech comment, I liked their peripherals for mice and keyboards, but anythign sound i have bought from them i never used as the quality was so poor, had better luck with lesser known brands - I think Xenta was the name of one that out performed logitech for budget sound systems
Felicitous17/09/2019 18:20

agree with the logitech comment, I liked their peripherals for mice and …agree with the logitech comment, I liked their peripherals for mice and keyboards, but anythign sound i have bought from them i never used as the quality was so poor, had better luck with lesser known brands - I think Xenta was the name of one that out performed logitech for budget sound systems

Iirc (from when I did the same) - the One S only has an optical out. So that automatically limits most budget systems as you end up having to get a a DAC etc.

I got currys.co.uk/gbu…tml when it was on offer. They sometimes come down to sub £40, and it's reasonably OK for what it is
alg17/09/2019 18:27

Iirc (from when I did the same) - the One S only has an optical out. So …Iirc (from when I did the same) - the One S only has an optical out. So that automatically limits most budget systems as you end up having to get a a DAC etc.I got https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/jvc-th-d227b-2-0-compact-sound-bar-10157471-pdt.html when it was on offer. They sometimes come down to sub £40, and it's reasonably OK for what it is

optical out and budget don't exist in my experience, I was under the impression that monitor would be connected via hdmi with aux audio going out
Felicitous17/09/2019 18:49

optical out and budget don't exist in my experience, I was under the …optical out and budget don't exist in my experience, I was under the impression that monitor would be connected via hdmi with aux audio going out

That would depend on the monitor - I specifically bought mine as it doesn't have audio, but has 2 HDMI inputs without audio pass through. Use 3.5mm for my Linux desktop PC, and optical in for my XBox One.
Is it possible to use a soundbar and connect it to the Xbox One?
Does the monitor itself have headphone out? If you want sound from your monitor, without using optical out from your Xbox One, (keeping things cheap and simple but still sounding good, which is what I assume you want to do), just get these stereo speakers for £34:

Creative T10

They sound much better than what a TV these days would output. They're enjoyable. And they have their own headphone out and 2 aux ins (3.5mm). If you want a bit better, get these:

Creative T20 II

They cost twice as much though. You might be able to find them cheaper, just linked to amazon for ease.

They're both straight up stereo speakers. So don't expect super duper spaceships shooting you from behind type sound, but still good, clear defined sound, good music with decent bass.

Sound snobs might scoff and sneer. But good budget options.

Otherwise, if you want to mess about with DACs and receivers, and a load of power leads to go with them, the sky (your disposable income) is the limit. But judging from your question, I don't think that's what you're after.
Edited by: "ra786" 18th Sep
WorKev17/09/2019 20:49

Is it possible to use a soundbar and connect it to the Xbox One?

See my earlier replies. I use one with an optical input.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants