Monitors with HDMI

Found 20th May
Hi, quick question... if I buy a PC monitor with HDMI, can I plug anything into it? So PS3, SNES classic? Thanks
Community Updates
AskMonitor
36 Comments
Yes as long as the devices run at a compatible frequency which shouldn't be a problem on modern monitors.
The only issue is if the monitor doesn't run its own speakers. You will not have audio.

The PS3 I believe has optical output so can use that to a sound bar or something.
Any recommendations for a monitor with speakers please?
superfreddy7 m ago

Any recommendations for a monitor with speakers please?

You don't ever want to use monitor speakers. They sound like the cheap passive speakers you used to plug into your walkman during the 80s.
kester7620 m ago

You don't ever want to use monitor speakers. They sound like the cheap …You don't ever want to use monitor speakers. They sound like the cheap passive speakers you used to plug into your walkman during the 80s.

Basically, I want to dock my laptop to then plug into the monitor to use. Is there an easy way to do this rather than having to lift the laptop lid up everytime you want to use it?
What do you mean by lifting the lid. Do you mean it goes into standby when the lid is down ?
Normally you would gave a dock that the laptop plugs into and switches everything over to external.
kester7622 m ago

What do you mean by lifting the lid. Do you mean it goes into standby when …What do you mean by lifting the lid. Do you mean it goes into standby when the lid is down ?Normally you would gave a dock that the laptop plugs into and switches everything over to external.

Yeah that's what I mean. How do I turn it on without lifting the lid when connected to an external monitor?

I guess I need a dock but there isn't many out there.
superfreddy11 m ago

Yeah that's what I mean. How do I turn it on without lifting the lid when …Yeah that's what I mean. How do I turn it on without lifting the lid when connected to an external monitor?I guess I need a dock but there isn't many out there.

I guess this might help
thewindowsclub.com/cho…oes
No idea about docks though. Would depend on if your laptop had it's own specific dock or you have to buy a universal one.
Edited by: "kester76" 20th May
Why would you want to close the lid whilst connecting to an external monitor?? Most people would want a dual monitor set up i.e laptop screen + monitor screen.
33829542-1QkWj.jpg
33829542-aQhPo.jpg
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 20th May
superfreddy37 m ago

Yeah that's what I mean. How do I turn it on without lifting the lid when …Yeah that's what I mean. How do I turn it on without lifting the lid when connected to an external monitor?I guess I need a dock but there isn't many out there.

Where's the power button located? If it's alongside the keyboard there may not be a way around needing to open the laptop, but if it's on the wide of the laptop then there shouldn't usually be an issue with leaving it closed.

If necessary, you can change what happens when you close the lid within power options in Windows (something along the lines of Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what closing the lid does).

That said, I'd tend to agree with RiverDragon8 that a dual-monitor setup would be preferable in most cases.
Illusionary20th May

Where's the power button located? If it's alongside the keyboard there may …Where's the power button located? If it's alongside the keyboard there may not be a way around needing to open the laptop, but if it's on the wide of the laptop then there shouldn't usually be an issue with leaving it closed.If necessary, you can change what happens when you close the lid within power options in Windows (something along the lines of Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what closing the lid does).That said, I'd tend to agree with RiverDragon8 that a dual-monitor setup would be preferable in most cases.

OP got 14'' FHD IPS screen on his laptop, you pair that up with a 24'' IPS monitor and you got a nice home set up.
RiverDragon82 h, 39 m ago

OP got 14'' FHD IPS screen on his laptop, you pair that up with a 24'' IPS …OP got 14'' FHD IPS screen on his laptop, you pair that up with a 24'' IPS monitor and you got a nice home set up.

Thanks. Not sure how you knew that but ok lol

I don't really need the use of two screens though to be honest?
I'm looking at the HP V214a Monitor. Has HDMI and speakers which is fine to start me off. Any good?
You don't need speakers, all monitor come with tinny i.e 2W speaker. Just add your own speaker and connect via aux cable to the headphone jack at the back of the monitor.
RiverDragon84 m ago

You don't need speakers, all monitor come with tinny i.e 2W …You don't need speakers, all monitor come with tinny i.e 2W speaker. Just add your own speaker and connect via aux cable to the headphone jack at the back of the monitor.

Thanks. Any suggestions for a monitor please? Must be full HD and have HDMI and obviously a headphone socket.
How do you connect speakers? Half the monitors I'm looking at don't have a headphone jack!
This monitor. Ask @Illusionary if it's any good, he bought one recently. Decent review on Youtube.

Only buy a monitor if it got a small headphone jack.

Also you will need USB 3.0 port (optional).
RiverDragon816 m ago

This monitor. Ask @Illusionary if it's any good, he bought one recently. …This monitor. Ask @Illusionary if it's any good, he bought one recently. Decent review on Youtube.Only buy a monitor if it got a small headphone jack.Also you will need USB 3.0 port (optional).

Yep, I'm very pleased with mine, a very nice upgrade from my old and dying BenQ. I'm particularly impressed by the thin bezel.
Illusionary57 s ago

Yep, I'm very pleased with mine, a very nice upgrade from my old and dying …Yep, I'm very pleased with mine, a very nice upgrade from my old and dying BenQ. I'm particularly impressed by the thin bezel.

It doesn't come with headphone jack??
RiverDragon82 m ago

It doesn't come with headphone jack??

You're right, no headphone jack - but presumably superfreddy can just use the one built into his laptop?
Illusionary6 m ago

You're right, no headphone jack - but presumably superfreddy can just use …You're right, no headphone jack - but presumably superfreddy can just use the one built into his laptop?

Hmmm, I prefer to have a monitor so you can play a console as well on it. That's a deal breaker for me. That's up to OP.
RiverDragon88 h, 44 m ago

This monitor. Ask @Illusionary if it's any good, he bought one recently. …This monitor. Ask @Illusionary if it's any good, he bought one recently. Decent review on Youtube.Only buy a monitor if it got a small headphone jack.Also you will need USB 3.0 port (optional).

Why would I need a USB port on a monitor?
Yeah I'd need a connection for audio as I'd want the option to plug in my PS3 and Nintendo classic consoles.
Now looking at this

amazon.co.uk/Ben…h=1
Edited by: "superfreddy" 21st May
Get a 24'' monitor click. or this LG (2% TCB).

You need USB hub when you start adding devices to your laptop i.e external HDD, keyboard + mouse etc etc.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 21st May
RiverDragon82 h, 11 m ago

Get a 24'' monitor click. or this LG (2% TCB).You need USB hub when you …Get a 24'' monitor click. or this LG (2% TCB).You need USB hub when you start adding devices to your laptop i.e external HDD, keyboard + mouse etc etc.

I don't as I already have an external plugged into my laptop, and a wireless mouse and bluetooth keyboard.

I won't need USB ports on the monitor for that.
RiverDragon82 h, 11 m ago

Get a 24'' monitor click. or this LG (2% TCB).You need USB hub when you …Get a 24'' monitor click. or this LG (2% TCB).You need USB hub when you start adding devices to your laptop i.e external HDD, keyboard + mouse etc etc.

Also, that 22" monitor would be fine for me.
superfreddy40 m ago

Also, that 22" monitor would be fine for me.

Up to you, PPI 24'' is the sweet spot for FHD monitors. I've had a AOC 21.5'' monitor and sold it within a few months because it was slightly too small. I would always pay more (£7.26 in this case) for that extra bit of screen real estate (no brainer).
RiverDragon82 h, 16 m ago

Up to you, PPI 24'' is the sweet spot for FHD monitors. I've had a AOC …Up to you, PPI 24'' is the sweet spot for FHD monitors. I've had a AOC 21.5'' monitor and sold it within a few months because it was slightly too small. I would always pay more (£7.26 in this case) for that extra bit of screen real estate (no brainer).

Does the bigger one have speakers?
superfreddy23 m ago

Does the bigger one have speakers?

It doesn't, but I already told you before that if they do the speakers are You'll be adding your own speaker. You must have a Bluetooth speaker in your house you can use right?
RiverDragon84 m ago

It doesn't, but I already told you before that if they do the speakers are …It doesn't, but I already told you before that if they do the speakers are You'll be adding your own speaker. You must have a Bluetooth speaker in your house you can use right?

I have but that won't work for mini consoles
superfreddy5 m ago

I have but that won't work for mini consoles

SNES Classic isn't HDMI?
RiverDragon817 m ago

SNES Classic isn't HDMI?

It is but where would sound come out of if I'm using a Bluetooth speaker?...
Use an aux cable and plug that into your speaker and monitor via the headphone jack and sound will come out if connect via HDMI.
RiverDragon848 m ago

Use an aux cable and plug that into your speaker and monitor via the …Use an aux cable and plug that into your speaker and monitor via the headphone jack and sound will come out if connect via HDMI.

That's a good point actually cheers.
I'm still thinking of getting the 22" one. My desk is small and I don't really want a monitor dominating the area.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions