MONKEY PUZZLE TREE 15ft - need to move it

17 replies
Found 6th Sep 2013
just bought a new house with a 15ft monkey puzzle tree in the garden.

its aprox 30 year old i believe and wondered if it can be dug up and moved on.

idearly i would like to sell it but just dont want to chop it dow

17 Comments

I've always wanted a monkey puzzle trees!

Why do you want to get rid of it?

had to google it as am useless,

looks cute, doubt u could move it with 30yrs worth of roots

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4029/4533862549_f4d45627d1_z.jpg

What is it with people and trees? Sell it? - Why don't you put a price tag on it or something 'bonkers' -

Original Poster

idea of selling it came from the amount going on ebay.

Agree with Magicbeans - can't imagine an attempt at moving will be successful. Also, even if you found a company to try it, I recon it'd be quite expensive.

Just found this on a search - someone asked the same question a few years back:

Re: Moving a mature monkey puzzle tree
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, it can be done, but it is very, very expensive, and also ideally needs 2 or 3 years of pretreatment root pruning before the move.

littlehoneyz

idea of selling it came from the amount going on ebay.

I'm amazed after looking, they are not in the ground though lol

Banned

idearly i would like to sell it but just dont want to chop it dow

If you idearly don't manage to sell it why do you need to chop it dow?

No it can't really be moved without a lot of preparation as already stated. Be prepared for it to grow taller and wider, they are a lovely tree but do need maintenance in a smaller garden
Edited by: "Rich33" 6th Sep 2013

You would have to cut through the roots - chances of survival replanted are about 50-50. If you have to manhandle and transport any distance then odds are a lot less.

Original Poster

thanks for that guys.....

aircanman

I'm amazed after looking, they are not in the ground though lol

Why do you think I have a few growing, love the look of them too, about 18" at 2 years slow growing blighters they are.

Jumpingphil

This one was twelve years old when I sold my house.Was planted when my … This one was twelve years old when I sold my house.Was planted when my first child was born.I soooooooooooooooooooooooooo wanted to take this with me, but too much preparation was needed.It stayed, it got cut down, I was soooooooo sad.

http://gifstumblr.com/images/that-moment-when-you-notice-you-have-lost-one-follower-on-tumblr_667.gif

Chop it down and plant another would probably be easiest and cheapest option.

Jumpingphil

This one was twelve years old when I sold my house.Was planted when my … This one was twelve years old when I sold my house.Was planted when my first child was born.I soooooooooooooooooooooooooo wanted to take this with me, but too much preparation was needed.It stayed, it got cut down, I was soooooooo sad.

but its right in the middle, think id do the same, heck i am doing the same, cutting down of my trees at the back, big job!!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21128
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    3. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3065

See more discussions