Posted 6th Sep 2013
just bought a new house with a 15ft monkey puzzle tree in the garden.

its aprox 30 year old i believe and wondered if it can be dug up and moved on.

idearly i would like to sell it but just dont want to chop it dow
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment
18 Comments
  1. Avatar
    I've always wanted a monkey puzzle trees!

Why do you want to get rid of it?
  2. Avatar
    had to google it as am useless,

looks cute, doubt u could move it with 30yrs worth of roots

19021674-5wLES

3. Avatar
    What is it with people and trees? Sell it? - Why don't you put a price tag on it or something 'bonkers' -
  4. Avatar
    Author
    idea of selling it came from the amount going on ebay.
  5. Avatar
    Agree with Magicbeans - can't imagine an attempt at moving will be successful. Also, even if you found a company to try it, I recon it'd be quite expensive.
  6. Avatar
    Just found this on a search - someone asked the same question a few years back:

Re: Moving a mature monkey puzzle tree
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, it can be done, but it is very, very expensive, and also ideally needs 2 or 3 years of pretreatment root pruning before the move.
  7. Avatar
    littlehoneyz

idea of selling it came from the amount going on ebay.

I'm amazed after looking, they are not in the ground though lol
  8. Avatar

idearly i would like to sell it but just dont want to chop it dow

If you idearly don't manage to sell it why do you need to chop it dow?
  9. Avatar
    No it can't really be moved without a lot of preparation as already stated. Be prepared for it to grow taller and wider, they are a lovely tree but do need maintenance in a smaller garden
    Edited by: "Rich33" 6th Sep 2013
  10. Avatar
    You would have to cut through the roots - chances of survival replanted are about 50-50. If you have to manhandle and transport any distance then odds are a lot less.
  11. Avatar
    Author
    thanks for that guys.....
  12. Avatar
    aircanman

I'm amazed after looking, they are not in the ground though lol

Why do you think I have a few growing, love the look of them too, about 18" at 2 years slow growing blighters they are.
  13. Avatar
    Jumpingphil

This one was twelve years old when I sold my house.Was planted when my … This one was twelve years old when I sold my house.Was planted when my first child was born.I soooooooooooooooooooooooooo wanted to take this with me, but too much preparation was needed.It stayed, it got cut down, I was soooooooo sad.

[image missing]

14. Avatar
    Chop it down and plant another would probably be easiest and cheapest option.
  15. Avatar
    Jumpingphil

This one was twelve years old when I sold my house.Was planted when my … This one was twelve years old when I sold my house.Was planted when my first child was born.I soooooooooooooooooooooooooo wanted to take this with me, but too much preparation was needed.It stayed, it got cut down, I was soooooooo sad.

but its right in the middle, think id do the same, heck i am doing the same, cutting down of my trees at the back, big job!!
  16. Avatar
    Neighbour of mine moved his couple of years ago to his neighbour who wanted it, hired a mini digger to dig a few feet from the tree. Then they strapped it to the jib of the digger, proceeded to lift it slowly clearing soil away from the roots as it lifted. Once clear drove down the street with it still strapped on then lowered it into a prepared hole. Now growing well.
Post a comment
Top Merchants