Morality Question - honest answers needed

Posted 20th Oct
if a fragile and suicidal friend of yours had been arrested for a heinous crime that would go public in 7 months and you had the chance to sell the story earlier anonymously -would you do it?...

Edit - some cracking answers here so lets change the dynamic a bit.

Additional information : There is no direct victim & by virtue of the crime you can no longer be friends with the perp. The 7 months time will be due to police investigation.

Second set of additional information. Consider the following - The general consensus appears to not speak to the press in any circumstances, however, if the money being offered was life changing e.g £100k or £1million. Would you change your viewpoint?
Additionally if the perpetrator was well known/famous/celebrity again would you change your view?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
"...a fragile and suicidal friend..."

Why are you even asking this question if the above description is accurate?
There’s no such thing as anonymously this day and age, doesn’t matter what you think or want anonymous isn’t anonymous so just don’t think about doing it - end of the matter.

That’s beside the fact you said ‘friend of yours’, I wouldn’t want to be any friend of yours if you were thinking of making some money from their ‘misfortune’.
39 Comments
Depends on the crime, I suppose.
chimp14uk20/10/2019 07:17

Depends on the crime, I suppose.

No, it depends more on how much it's worth.
No
No because why make money off the back of someone else’s suffering. If you give all the money to the victim then maybe it’s ok if they are ok with it.

By disclosing it publicly you could also jeopardise a chance of them being prosecuted and could even be charged yourself as police may believe your involved if you know details
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 20th Oct
No..although you could ask them and split money. Someone may do it anyway
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Oct
There’s no such thing as anonymously this day and age, doesn’t matter what you think or want anonymous isn’t anonymous so just don’t think about doing it - end of the matter.

That’s beside the fact you said ‘friend of yours’, I wouldn’t want to be any friend of yours if you were thinking of making some money from their ‘misfortune’.
It seems that many in the Police force are not that scrupulous .. they will leak storys to the press all day long, specially for "heinous" crimes. Its more like how much do YOU need the money.. would it put food on the table or stave off repossession? or it would be upgrading your flight from Cattle to barely-tolerated?
But in general No.
"...a fragile and suicidal friend..."

Why are you even asking this question if the above description is accurate?
The clue is in ‘fragile & suicidal FRIEND’
Shouldn’t that be enough or does money trump (how apt) over people?
No, not a chance!
It depends on the crime... There’s crimes that are unforgivable regardless of a persons mental state. If it was murder, sex offence or child related, all of these are unforgivable. If you selling the story is to protect other people from this person and not just for the money, then I would deem it acceptable.
The curious part in the OP'S question is the 7 months part. What happens in 7 months? Is it a case perhaps that at the moment they are too young to be named in the media but in 7 months time they will be old enough to have the naming restriction removed? And when the OP says "heinous crime" are we talking about something involving a child? Because putting that all together, it could theoretically be the following kind of scenario. The OP had a school friend that was arrested for r@pe of a minor, has been arrested, and is in a fragile and suicidal state whilst in custody. Would I sell the story in the situation? Yeah maybe.
Honestly?

Never ever ever.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
Are they fragile and suicidal because of what they've done? Lets say they are a kiddy fiddler, rapist, murderer (alledgedly at this point of course) then they have only got themselves to blame.
I can't believe this is even being considered.

Is there a direct victim inolved? If so consider them above all else.

Leaking this early for what ever reason could add extra stress and pressure on the victim, could jeopardise the case and quite frankly push your friend over the edge (metaphorically) and prevent the victim (if there is one) from receiving true justice for the crime against them.

Step away from it and go and join a cash for crash scam if your morals are that low
Would I exploit a friends problems for financial gain?

No.
Your not really a friend are you, more an acquaintance, or a friend of a friend. The answer is no, if they are fragile as you say, what if your actions is the final straw and they did commit suicide? Could you live with that? A friend should offer support and help, but again that all depends on the crime they've committed.
Your question amounts to the simple fact you are looking for confirmation bias of why that you could be justified to do something that's clearly immoral. Why is it clearly immoral:-

The first step is to use a dictionary : Immoral - Deliberately violating accepted principles of right and wrong.

You already know it is wrong by your usage of the words: friend, anonymously, and here is why:

Critically, you said, " had been arrested for a heinous crime that would go public in 7 months." Therefore, the justice should be done. What is then, your roleas a friend , is it purely for money or is it for friendship?

Which leads to a loaded moral question, what do you do with the proceeds (money) as the next step, for sole benefit of your friend, or for yourself only?

Edit, addendum:

Your post is a moral judgment on you, as you are the one who may do any further action (making money), not your friend (or a casual acquaintance). You and you alone who has intent (of making money). As you said, the morality is judged on your intent and your purpose of your act.

Even when your friend is an acquaintance, or is not a strong friend, the same moral question of "What do you do with the proceeds (money) as the next step, for sole benefit of your friend, or for yourself only?" still applies. Because the moral judgment is how and who gains from the proceeds (of crime).

Therefore, you could consider further for reasonableness with additional facts, which you did not write in your OP comment, for good moral standing: you could keep quiet and do nothing as for any bystander or donate the money anonymously to the victims as part of your hope some good (money) may come from it (the crime), or you solely profit from your "friend" and/or "from an act of crime". (This latter part is I would say from my learning, is immorality).

Finally, you said, "a heinous crime that would go public in 7 months." As they say, "Time is of the essence", your reasoning is clear here. If it is known publically later, why shouldn't you go public earlier (and profit from it)? The above question on morality still applies: how and who is gaining from the money?
Edited by: "splender" 20th Oct
If you would do that you aren't a friend. Rest is irrelevant.
idontwant12320/10/2019 09:19

The clue is in ‘fragile & suicidal FRIEND’ Shouldn’t that be enough or does …The clue is in ‘fragile & suicidal FRIEND’ Shouldn’t that be enough or does money trump (how apt) over people?

no the clue is in "heinous crime" if it was a crime against a kid, sex offence, murder etc then they deserve everything they get and suicide would save the courts and prison service money (the downside is the victim/victims family could see it as they have escaped justice - although in my case I would see it as a plus knowing they wouldn't ever be on the streets able to commit the same/similar offences again).

If it was my friend they would no longer be a friend.
psychobitchfromhell20/10/2019 11:42

If you would do that you aren't a friend. Rest is irrelevant.

Why would you want to be a friend with someone who commited an heinous crime anyay?
harlzter20/10/2019 12:01

Why would you want to be a friend with someone who commited an heinous …Why would you want to be a friend with someone who commited an heinous crime anyay?

why would you want to profit from it?
psychobitchfromhell20/10/2019 12:03

why would you want to profit from it?

Never said I would want to profit from it, just that whatever happens to the offender is no concern of mine no matter how well I knew them. In fact by profiting you are further associating yourself with them which is the opposite of what I would personally want.
harlzter20/10/2019 12:07

Never said I would want to profit from it, just that whatever happens to …Never said I would want to profit from it, just that whatever happens to the offender is no concern of mine no matter how well I knew them. In fact by profiting you are further associating yourself with them which is the opposite of what I would personally want.

I never said you would either
Added additional information to get your minds thinking....
Lucifer_UK20/10/2019 12:25

sounds a bit like what got Jeremy Kyle taken off air.
Is this the twist where you’re the friend who has diddled kids and want to know if someone will sell your story?
Lucifer_UK20/10/2019 12:25

You added, "There is no direct victim..." & "...The 7 months time will be due to police investigation."
You had said, "...had been arrested for a heinous crime..."

What a load of rubbish: a heinous crime that is worthy of 7 months' police time and no direct victim.

I love to read your fantastical personal definitions of: direct/indirect victim, police time and heinous crime."
psychobitchfromhell20/10/2019 12:09

I never said you would either

Apologies I think we have both misinterpreted what the other meant, that's the trouble with the web - the words are the same but the inflection and meaning cannot be conveyed.
Don't do it, karma will get you
no, or your not a friend...

questions like this is why i dont have friends... dont trust anyone and everybody lies....
harlzter20/10/2019 15:54

Apologies I think we have both misinterpreted what the other meant, that's …Apologies I think we have both misinterpreted what the other meant, that's the trouble with the web - the words are the same but the inflection and meaning cannot be conveyed.

can't imagine ever selling a story. So tabloid.
harlzter20/10/2019 12:01

Why would you want to be a friend with someone who commited an heinous …Why would you want to be a friend with someone who commited an heinous crime anyay?

I say it depends on the crime.

Obviously some crimes are just unforgiveable, regardless of the circumstances.

Others though, can still be heinous but depending on the situation or mindset of the perpetrator, whilst still not justifiable, and difficult for someone of sound mind to fully understand, it may be forgiveable and something a good friend might help somebody cope with.
But with regards to the original question - no. Mind your own business, don't be so tacky.
miikeyblue20/10/2019 21:26

I say it depends on the crime.Obviously some crimes are just …I say it depends on the crime.Obviously some crimes are just unforgiveable, regardless of the circumstances. Others though, can still be heinous but depending on the situation or mindset of the perpetrator, whilst still not justifiable, and difficult for someone of sound mind to fully understand, it may be forgiveable and something a good friend might help somebody cope with.

Your interpretation of "heinous" seems to deviate from social norm (heinous means : Extremely wicked, deeply criminal).

You said, "I say it depends on the crime.Obviously some crimes are just unforgiveable, regardless of the circumstances....it may be forgiveable... "

Therefore, since you said it, what examples of heinous crime are forgiveable and forgiveable to whom and by whom?
Edited by: "splender" 21st Oct
Added a further set of additional information in the top text/description.
Lucifer_UK21/10/2019 14:59

Added a further set of additional information in the top text/description.

If the perpetrator was well known/famous/celebrity enough that a story would command such figures, I would assume that the perpetrator was themselves rich, and that in their new-found pariah status their options to spend their wealth on luxuries would become limited, friendship itself would become a luxury, and there will be an opportunity for hangers-on to exploit this person's vulnerability for substantial financial gain.
First thing you need to do is call up your mate and say Look, we are no longer mates cos you got arrested for a heinous crime. I can't be mates with your sort.
At this point, you stop being mates and have zero liability.
Next, report the story to the press.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants