More than five of us bought it, didn't we?

Found 15th Oct 2017
25 (TWENTY FIVE) years ago today it was released. Such a great, great console in my eyes. Sadly times were quite hard for us back in the 90s (I'm not sure if it was the same for everybody) but we just physically couldn't afford to be a two console household (yes, I missed out on Nintendo back then, although I would visit my mates house for a blast on Super Mario Bros. 3.)

I always remember my Mum picking me up from school, I got in the car and she was humming some madness, it went on and on, and on, and on. When I got home it was only then I realised she had being humming (extremely badly, may I add) the Sonic the Hedgehog theme tune. She'd only gone and bought me a bloody Sega Mega Drive. I then sat there, when I could, and just played Sonic the Hedgehog, on my black and white TV. This is where I became a gamer, and it hasn't stopped since.

2813056.jpg

I'm obviously talking about the Sega Mega CD, though. It was launched 25 years ago today in America (the Sega CD) and it genuinely was something awesome for me. Laugh all you like, but Kriss Kross: Make My Video, Final Fight, Sonic CD, Sewer Shark, Night Trap...the list really does go on.

I remember receiving it for a gift and thinking it was the best thing ever. Granted, it's not the N64, the Sega Saturn or even an Atari Jaguar if you really want to take the piss, but to me, the Sega Mega CD was my childhood and I loved it.

2813056.jpg
I know there's a lot of love for Nintendo and their retro awesomeness from back in the day, but I can't be the only one that loved Sega, can I?

In reference to the title. Sonic the Hedgehog Tweeted this...

2813056.jpg
Happy Birthday, Sega CD
Community Updates
Misc
29 Comments
And there will always be this little gem of an intro...

Classic 😁
They probably mean that 5 sold on release day... Back in them days it cost about £300 which was about a months wages.
JohnnyRoller3 m ago

They probably mean that 5 sold on release day... Back in them days it cost …They probably mean that 5 sold on release day... Back in them days it cost about £300 which was about a months wages.

I think it was more tongue in cheek. There were production issues with the Sega CD at launch. It retailed at $299/£270.
I had Sega master system, sonic boom all day everyday, we would put the adaptor in the freezer as we were told we couldn't play it when it gets too hot so it was the quickest way to cool it down
BuzzDuraband2 m ago

I think it was more tongue in cheek. There were production issues with the …I think it was more tongue in cheek. There were production issues with the Sega CD at launch. It retailed at $299/£270.

That is expensive for an add-on for the time, mind you PSVR isn’t as expensive if you adjust for inflation. Anyone own a 32X?
MR11233 m ago

I had Sega master system, sonic boom all day everyday, we would put the …I had Sega master system, sonic boom all day everyday, we would put the adaptor in the freezer as we were told we couldn't play it when it gets too hot so it was the quickest way to cool it down

I think Sega Master System, I think My Hero

32257655-2EWL3.jpg
i had the sega mega drive 2 i believe with sonic built in, omg first console ether and only problem was sharing it, as everyone wanted a go, till it finally went in my bedroom, and u hsd to be careful not to knock it or it froze, it also destroyed my mums colour crt tv some how, cause like magnet disruption in corners
johnwillowlfc5 m ago

That is expensive for an add-on for the time, mind you PSVR isn’t as e …That is expensive for an add-on for the time, mind you PSVR isn’t as expensive if you adjust for inflation. Anyone own a 32X?

Yeah, possibly. It was hard to see it as an add-on at the time, after all, we'd made a MASSIVE leap from 16-bit to 32-bit. If IIRC and I could be wrong, it was also the first time we'd seen FMV in a video game. It was a massive thing back then. I didn't see it then, but if I had to now, it's just like putting a PS3 on a PS2.
jonmarz892 m ago

i had the sega mega drive 2 i believe with sonic built in, omg first …i had the sega mega drive 2 i believe with sonic built in, omg first console ether and only problem was sharing it, as everyone wanted a go, till it finally went in my bedroom, and u hsd to be careful not to knock it or it froze, it also destroyed my mums colour crt tv some how, cause like magnet disruption in corners

Yeah, those damn pesky friends. Always wanting to play two player. They used to sit there like "oh, let's have a go"..."sorry mate, only got one pad...DO NOT LOOK IN THAT DRAWER!"
BuzzDuraband4 m ago

Yeah, those damn pesky friends. Always wanting to play two player. They …Yeah, those damn pesky friends. Always wanting to play two player. They used to sit there like "oh, let's have a go"..."sorry mate, only got one pad...DO NOT LOOK IN THAT DRAWER!"

i used to have the cool gun as well, 2 player was good when playing fighting games, now i got my own console, just wish more cool co op games
JohnnyRoller1 h, 1 m ago

Back in them days it cost about £300 which was about a months wages.

An internal DVD recorder for a PC cost around £600 in the UK in 1995 to put things in perspective.
I paid £200 for an internal HDD that year.
That was 3 years after this release but that's the best I can recall.
deleted800342
I think the official sales numbers show that 4 people bought it
deleted80034215th Oct 2017

I think the official sales numbers show that 4 people bought it

Well, the official sales numbers are 2.2 million, Dex. But...yeah
SNES were well better
32258069-iliyi.jpg
Night trap has been recently re-released.
themachman7 m ago

SNES were well better [Image]

Clearly not as 'better' as an arcade machine
Sadly I was only 12 years old when the Mega CD came out so it was way past my financial capabilities
deleted800342
BuzzDuraband29 m ago

Well, the official sales numbers are 2.2 million, Dex. But...yeah

REALLY???
deeky22 m ago

Sadly I was only 12 years old when the Mega CD came out so it was way past …Sadly I was only 12 years old when the Mega CD came out so it was way past my financial capabilities

12 in dog years
The crazy thing is, the price at the time wasn't the high end for consoles.
Neo Geo was £400, plus £100-200 per game.
Panasonic 3DO was £600.
Philips CDI was around the same price.

I'll always think the reason that Mega CD didn't catch on is because the only popular 'arcade perfect' game it could recreate was Final Fight, which was already showing it's age by the time of the UK release because AM2 brought out games like Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Daytona etc. Namco had Ridge Racer that year.
Edited by: "drasim" 16th Oct 2017
I bought one on release and I've still got it. Great games like Batman returns, Chuck Rock, the awesome Lethal Enforcers, Sol-Feace, Star Wars: Rebel Assault, and my favourite "Ground Zero Texas" I'm often suggesting a remake of that game.
drasim6 h, 30 m ago

The crazy thing is, the price at the time wasn't the high end for …The crazy thing is, the price at the time wasn't the high end for consoles. Neo Geo was £400, plus £100-200 per game.Panasonic 3DO was £600.Philips CDI was around the same price.I'll always think the reason that Mega CD didn't catch on is because the only popular 'arcade perfect' game it could recreate was Final Fight, which was already showing it's age by the time of the UK release because AM2 brought out games like Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Daytona etc. Namco had Ridge Racer that year.

Still got mine and a Panasonic 3DO and (ahem) a Dr64 too courtesy of a well paid afterschool job (a tear comes to my eye when I think how much I wasted on them!). Not sure if they work as they have been in the loft for ages, can get rid of them as they are worth peanuts
Just noticed in my local CeX they have World Cup USA '94 and Battlecorps for the Mega CD
frakison28 m ago

Still got mine and a Panasonic 3DO and (ahem) a Dr64 too courtesy of a …Still got mine and a Panasonic 3DO and (ahem) a Dr64 too courtesy of a well paid afterschool job (a tear comes to my eye when I think how much I wasted on them!). Not sure if they work as they have been in the loft for ages, can get rid of them as they are worth peanuts

I bought a 3DO about 12 years ago before the retro demand bubble - it was great for Dragon's Lair, Road Rash and the first ever 3D Fifa. Even bought a Philips CDI & FMV adapter just for Mad Dog McCree
My mate had a 3do. Used to love You Don't know Jack on it. It played like a 3D board game.
Anyone else remember the 32X add on for the Mega Drive?
Fond memories of Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing

goo.gl/ima…UoG
My mate had one but I never did...

I did try and find my mega drive a few months back but its vanished... I assumed a midnight cull by the mrs...

she knows better...

hopefully itll turn up in a long forgotten box stashed somewhere!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions