More UK parents to receive baby boxes after roll out in Scotland - Wigan, Liverpool and Birmingham now included

Found 22nd Mar 2017
After the roll out in January this year of giving new parents in Scotland a baby box like they have done in Finland for years, more areas of the UK are following suit. Wigan in Greater Manchster has become the latest area to adopt the scheme with the Wrighton, Wigan and Leigh (WWL) NHS foundation giving the boxes away for free to new parents who sign up to the Baby University scheme. The thinking behind it is to promote safer sleep which in turn reduces the rate of infant death.

The box is made of super thick heavy duty cardboard with a design printed on it and it contains a firm foam mattress that fits the box perfectly, a waterproof mattress cover and a cotton sheet. The idea behind it is that babies sleep in their parents rooms in these boxes for the first 6 months which has been proven as the safest places for babies to sleep whilst being close to the parents without sharing their bed which can be fatal.

The scheme has also started in areas of Liverpool and Birmingham and could be rolled out to other areas soon.

It all started in Finland in 1938 and following its introduction, their rate of infant mortalty dropped very sharply which was attributed to the baby box.

LINK TO SCOTTISH BABY BOX THREAD

2642988-qplEy

Source - Manchester Evening News

Community Updates
25 Comments
Good idea and if it encourages more people to sleep in the same room as their newborns then that's good.

Gro bags, muslins, scratch mits and bibs are all things you can't have enough of.
hopefully these boxes are paid by sponsorship not the NHS itself.
MynameisM

hopefully these boxes are paid by sponsorship not the NHS itself.

Would it matter even if it was paid by the NHS? Every parent of a newborn child in this country should have access to the basics to ensure the safety of a newborn! Money well spent whether it's from the public purse or otherwise!
Got quite oddly excited and confused when I misread the title as baby foxes.

Would it matter even if it was paid by the NHS? Every parent of a newborn … Would it matter even if it was paid by the NHS? Every parent of a newborn child in this country should have access to the basics to ensure the safety of a newborn! Money well spent whether it's from the public purse or otherwise!

Yes it does matter, the NHS has finite money. Whilst the scheme is commendable, people must remember that for every penny diverted to non-essential projects, other treatments or facilities could be cancelled, or limited (postcode lottery). If thousands of these boxes are handed out, the cost could amount to millions, especially if it includes administration, and advertising costs. Just think if you were on the receiving end of a N.I.C.E. decision unable to receive lifesaving cancer treatment as it costs too much, how would you honestly feel? It is up to the parents to finance these basic essentials, not the tax-payers through NI contributions.
Shame they don't have one in my size!
Better then a few bounty packs
NHS is being stripped of money because of this government cuts regardless whether this is funded ir not. They cut so that it gets so bad and it will give them a reason to privatise it.
Will there be in East Midlands?
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Good idea and if it encourages more people to sleep in the same room as … Good idea and if it encourages more people to sleep in the same room as their newborns then that's good.Gro bags, muslins, scratch mits and bibs are all things you can't have enough of.

​5 years later i finally found a missing mitten last weekend
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Good idea and if it encourages more people to sleep in the same room as … Good idea and if it encourages more people to sleep in the same room as their newborns then that's good.Gro bags, muslins, scratch mits and bibs are all things you can't have enough of.

People don't like muslins around ere
Any for Greater London/London Areas??
Does it include an iPad or tablet of some form?
Hope Yorkshire is covered in the scheme. My Mrs found out she is pregnant a couple of days ago...
chaywa

Would it matter even if it was paid by the NHS? Every parent of a newborn … Would it matter even if it was paid by the NHS? Every parent of a newborn child in this country should have access to the basics to ensure the safety of a newborn! Money well spent whether it's from the public purse or otherwise!

Yes, you will find sponsorship costs £0, self purchase £10, NHS provided inclusive of NHS management costs £50.
that's ridiculous, shouldn't be putting baby's in boxes in this day and age. brexit brittain, this is the future.
CookinBat

that's ridiculous, shouldn't be putting baby's in boxes in this day and … that's ridiculous, shouldn't be putting baby's in boxes in this day and age. brexit brittain, this is the future.

Its bigger then my last flat
nemesiz

Yes it does matter, the NHS has finite money. Whilst the scheme is … Yes it does matter, the NHS has finite money. Whilst the scheme is commendable, people must remember that for every penny diverted to non-essential projects, other treatments or facilities could be cancelled, or limited (postcode lottery). If thousands of these boxes are handed out, the cost could amount to millions, especially if it includes administration, and advertising costs. Just think if you were on the receiving end of a N.I.C.E. decision unable to receive lifesaving cancer treatment as it costs too much, how would you honestly feel? It is up to the parents to finance these basic essentials, not the tax-payers through NI contributions.

After middle management, corporate pharmacies (like Boots who pay no tax on NHS income in the U.K.) and every trust having its own buying power (at higher cost per unit/s) and overinflated public service pensions the NHS is is failing, hand it to Bupa a cooperative and watch standards rise.

A child in ICU is a very expensive thing, what's a box in comparison.

In comparison to a cot purchases costs paid out by the DWP (classed as a essential by Social Fund legislation for reason of Health & Safety 'a physical or mental danger if not funded' this is cheap cost to the tax payer in comparison - Child Tax Credits of the first 6 months will now pay for a cot instead of Social Fund grants...can't see many social funds paying for a cot when you have had 6 months CTC after a baby box.
Edited by: "seaniboy" 23rd Mar 2017

After middle management, corporate pharmacies (like Boots who pay no tax … After middle management, corporate pharmacies (like Boots who pay no tax on NHS income in the U.K.) and every trust having its own buying power (at higher cost per unit/s) and overinflated public service pensions the NHS is is failing, hand it to Bupa a cooperative and watch standards rise. A child in ICU is a very expensive thing, what's a box in comparison. In comparison to a cot purchases costs paid out by the DWP (classed as a essential by Social Fund legislation for reason of Health & Safety 'a physical or mental danger if not funded' this is cheap cost to the tax payer in comparison - Child Tax Credits of the first 6 months will now pay for a cot instead of Social Fund grants...can't see many social funds paying for a cot when you have had 6 months CTC after a baby box

Your comment is the reason why this country's finances are in a serious state, the blame culture of always attacking the politicians, management and senior staff whenever criticism is apportioned to spending on projects which is not cost-effective, and a waste of tax-payers money. Yes it's totally true that the local and national government is wasting billions on inept bureaucracy, and mismanagement, but the public need to be less dependent on the local services and take responsibility for their own actions. The NHS could save billions if it didn't need to spend money combatting obesity, smoking, and preventable diseases, through expensive campaigns, treatment and repercussions of our poor lifestyle. It is time the experts - dieticians, surgeons, doctors, mid-wives, even politicians are allowed to be frank, and honest to their patients or people without facing recriminations, or complaint.

In comparison to a cot purchases costs paid out by the DWP (classed as a … In comparison to a cot purchases costs paid out by the DWP (classed as a essential by Social Fund legislation for reason of Health & Safety 'a physical or mental danger if not funded' this is cheap cost to the tax payer in comparison - Child Tax Credits of the first 6 months will now pay for a cot instead of Social Fund grants...can't see many social funds paying for a cot when you have had 6 months CTC after a baby box.

Why should the tax payer provide a cot, prams, boxes, Moses cribs through social fund? Having a baby is massive responsibility, and is expensive but people believe it's their God-given right whatever their circumstances to have a child(ren). Yes there are exceptions of course. Why do think we're seeing a massive hike in family sizes - 3.0 White / 4.0 children in Ethnic minority families. Also our services such as education is facing crippling shortages, even with record spending, as class sizes increase further? It is not a co-incidence this country is in serious financial trouble, and services are stretched.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 23rd Mar 2017
It doesn't need to cost a thing they can just get Johnson's​ to chuck a bottle of baby bath in there, it could be done savvy as advertising tool thus cost nothing.

Imagine marketing this, the NHS will give a box of stuff to every parent do you want your brand in the box? Its exactly how the bounty bags work and no one moans about them there's also the cash made from data harvesting.

Lets see what do you need, a box bed with mattress, a few babygrows and scratchmits, a hat, a blanket, some nappies (plug plug), some baby wash (plug plug), some nappy rash cream (plug plug), some baby wipes (plug plug) maybe a small logo adorned toy.

Blimey i think i got free nappies, free baby wash, oil, lotion, free swimmer pants, free wipes, free nappy changing bag, several small soft toys, weening spoons, nappy rash creams, washing tablets and other cleaning samples, i even got free diet cans of fizzy drink and chocolate bars mainly wieghtwatchers ones but they were ok.

Alot of it came from Bounty and the hospital gave me free milk in little bottles with teets ready to us and offered me a blanket i declined.

So its pretty much all there anyway, be it offered by bountry, the hospital or just the free baby clubs offered by manufacturers for data harvesting. Its a good idea just to sove it all in one box and i doubt it costs anything much, if i can buy a pack of 3 babygrows for £2.50 it was at the time in 2010 what must they cost to make? Its all peanuts that can be covered by corporate sponsorship.

After middle management, corporate pharmacies (like Boots who pay no tax … After middle management, corporate pharmacies (like Boots who pay no tax on NHS income in the U.K.) and every trust having its own buying power (at higher cost per unit/s) and overinflated public service pensions the NHS is is failing, hand it to Bupa a cooperative and watch standards rise. A child in ICU is a very expensive thing, what's a box in comparison. In comparison to a cot purchases costs paid out by the DWP (classed as a essential by Social Fund legislation for reason of Health & Safety 'a physical or mental danger if not funded' this is cheap cost to the tax payer in comparison - Child Tax Credits of the first 6 months will now pay for a cot instead of Social Fund grants...can't see many social funds paying for a cot when you have had 6 months CTC after a baby box

In comparison to a cot purchases costs paid out by the DWP (classed as a … In comparison to a cot purchases costs paid out by the DWP (classed as a essential by Social Fund legislation for reason of Health & Safety 'a physical or mental danger if not funded' this is cheap cost to the tax payer in comparison - Child Tax Credits of the first 6 months will now pay for a cot instead of Social Fund grants...can't see many social funds paying for a cot when you have had 6 months CTC after a baby box.

The birthrate in this country is dropping and has been for years
With the benefit cap and two kids tax credit there is going to be shortage of kids in U.K.

The birthrate in this country is dropping and has been for years

Not true.
118luke

Hope Yorkshire is covered in the scheme. My Mrs found out she is pregnant … Hope Yorkshire is covered in the scheme. My Mrs found out she is pregnant a couple of days ago...

You must congratulate the father
118luke

Hope Yorkshire is covered in the scheme. My Mrs found out she is pregnant … Hope Yorkshire is covered in the scheme. My Mrs found out she is pregnant a couple of days ago...

Luke i'll get you one from Scouseland.
Just have to pretend im pregnant and female X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants