Expired

Morrisons 99p 'Value' butter - is it re-packed Kerrygold softer butter?

Found 27th Jul 2013
Please don't freeze me to zero Kelvin without checking this out first, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Morrisons own brand Value butter is actually re-packaged Kerrygold 'now even softer' butter, which some of us here really love when it's on offer at £1. The Morrisons value butter is in a paper wrapper, not a fancy foil one.

As a fan, you're probably aware that although still 250g, Kerrygold butter is an odd size compared to most packs. Morrisons value butter just happens to have the same unusual dimensions. I didn't twig this until first noticing that the value butter is fairly soft out of the fridge (like Kerrygold) and goes soft very quickly at room temperature. I usually buy this butter just for baking, but occasionally use it for spreading when my stocks of Kerrygold run out.

Can some of you Kerrygold fans grab a pack of the Morrisons Value butter for yourselves to see what you think? Second, third, fourth opinions would be appreciated!
Community Updates
AskButterKerrygold
20 Comments
This should not be in deals, should be under ask.
Moved to ask, as its not really a deal
Original Poster
Thanks, I wasn't sure where to put it!
If you like it, does it matter?
Original Poster
It matters if you like Kerrygold, which is often £1.60 and this 'value' butter is only 99p. It's an alternative for when the Kerrygold isn't on offer. I'm asking if some other HUKDers can check this out. I may just be going mad instead.
most brands for tesco, asda and other larger stores are repacked by large manufacturers. i used to work for walls ice cream and after half a day we use to start with the supermarket brands ice creams. so even when it say tesco ice cream it was really walls. so u may be right
Original Poster
awesomedad

I can't believe its not Kerrygold !

LOL thanks for the bump. Hopefully some Kerrygold lovers will pick up a pack or two of this Value butter today and pass on their comments.
RossD89

If you like it, does it matter?

This...^^^^^

What does it matter? If you like it and it is cheaper, just buy it.

We are becoming slaves to branding.
Original Poster
Inactive

This...^^^^^What does it matter? If you like it and it is cheaper, just … This...^^^^^What does it matter? If you like it and it is cheaper, just buy it.We are becoming slaves to branding.

Are you thick? All butter tastes different and Kerrygold butter is manufactured to be softer from the fridge without containing water or vegetable oils. It's not a 'designer label' butter, you numpties.

There are a large bunch of us here who like the taste of Kerrygold and find the softer texture convenient. These two factors make it unique from other butters, irrespective of price. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with 'brand slavery'. I only buy Kerrygold if it's reduced to £1 anyway. This Morrisns butter might well be the same thing, so saving me from stocking up whenever the Kerrygold is on offer.

I'm putting this out there for other Kerrygold fans to look into. They might be able to save money by getting the Morrisons Value butter instead. Isn't that what HUKD is about? Saving money? Honestly, some people!
Banned
89quidyoucantgowrong

Are you thick? All butter tastes different and Kerrygold butter is … Are you thick? All butter tastes different and Kerrygold butter is manufactured to be softer from the fridge without containing water or vegetable oils. It's not a 'designer label' butter, you numpties.There are a large bunch of us here who like the taste of Kerrygold and find the softer texture convenient. These two factors make it unique from other butters, irrespective of price. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with 'brand slavery'. I only buy Kerrygold if it's reduced to £1 anyway. This Morrisns butter might well be the same thing, so saving me from stocking up whenever the Kerrygold is on offer.I'm putting this out there for other Kerrygold fans to look into. They might be able to save money by getting the Morrisons Value butter instead. Isn't that what HUKD is about? Saving money? Honestly, some people!

you appear to be the thick one on here! If it tastes the same and looks the same, just buy it.

Surely you can understand that logic....

maybe not

I assume you realise they make this butter softer by reducing the butter fat by 25%
Edited by: "csiman" 28th Jul 2013
89quidyoucantgowrong

Are you thick? All butter tastes different and Kerrygold butter is … Are you thick? All butter tastes different and Kerrygold butter is manufactured to be softer from the fridge without containing water or vegetable oils. It's not a 'designer label' butter, you numpties.There are a large bunch of us here who like the taste of Kerrygold and find the softer texture convenient. These two factors make it unique from other butters, irrespective of price. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with 'brand slavery'. I only buy Kerrygold if it's reduced to £1 anyway. This Morrisns butter might well be the same thing, so saving me from stocking up whenever the Kerrygold is on offer.I'm putting this out there for other Kerrygold fans to look into. They might be able to save money by getting the Morrisons Value butter instead. Isn't that what HUKD is about? Saving money? Honestly, some people!

Not thick at all, if it looks and tastes the same and costs less, you would be " thick " not to buy it, surely even you can see that ..
Original Poster
@ csiman Your investigative powers seem to elude you here. Kerrygold butter is butter, 98%, not 75% (presumably a figure you plucked from the air?) The other 2% is Added ingredient: salt

And obviously, I am buying this butter. How would I suspect it's Kerrygold without eating it? I compared the nutritional analysis today in the store and on the face of it, the two are slightly different, but this could be out of date labeling by Morrisons if they have switched suppliers recently.

You guys aren't reading the posts, are you? I'm not asking you who aren't even interested in Kerrygold for 'permission' to buy this stuff?!! I'm suggesting that other Kerrygold lovers give the Morrisons Value stuff a try and report back. It could save them 60p a pack.
Banned
89quidyoucantgowrong

@ csiman Your investigative powers seem to elude you here. Kerrygold … @ csiman Your investigative powers seem to elude you here. Kerrygold butter is butter, 98%, not 75% (presumably a figure you plucked from the air?) The other 2% is Added ingredient: saltAnd obviously, I am buying this butter. How would I suspect it's Kerrygold without eating it? I compared the nutritional analysis today in the store and on the face of it, the two are slightly different, but this could be out of date labeling by Morrisons if they have switched suppliers recently.You guys aren't reading the posts, are you? I'm not asking you who aren't even interested in Kerrygold for 'permission' to buy this stuff?!! I'm suggesting that other Kerrygold lovers give the Morrisons Value stuff a try and report back. It could save them 60p a pack.

I said they have reduced the butter FAT by 25%

try reading lessons!
Original Poster
@ csiman

No, they have not reduced the butter FAT by 25%, it's butter, not some homogenized crap. You are completely wrong. Typical of someone not doing their research and spouting off figures plucked from thin air, as if typing them out somehow makes them true. The calorific value and FAT content of Kerrygold softer butter is roughly in line with any other PURE BUTTER.

From the Kerrygold website, which you obviously didn't even bother checking out (some CSI 'expert'!)

"There’s no fancy science involved, in fact, we can’t even take much of the credit. It’s down to Mother Nature and the abundant green grass that our Kerrygold cows graze on. Thanks to our lush Irish fields, the cream we use has softer milk fat, which in turn makes our butter softer. We simply heat the cream a little and cool it before churning to enhance this softness.

The result is the same deliciously creamy and smooth Kerrygold block butter, only a little bit softer."

Try reading lessons!
Banned
89quidyoucantgowrong

@ csimanNo, they have not reduced the butter FAT by 25%, it's butter, not … @ csimanNo, they have not reduced the butter FAT by 25%, it's butter, not some homogenized crap. You are completely wrong. Typical of someone not doing their research and spouting off figures plucked from thin air, as if typing them out somehow makes them true. The calorific value and FAT content of Kerrygold softer butter is roughly in line with any other PURE BUTTER.From the Kerrygold website, which you obviously didn't even bother checking out (some CSI 'expert'!)"There’s no fancy science involved, in fact, we can’t even take much of the credit. It’s down to Mother Nature and the abundant green grass that our Kerrygold cows graze on. Thanks to our lush Irish fields, the cream we use has softer milk fat, which in turn makes our butter softer. We simply heat the cream a little and cool it before churning to enhance this softness.The result is the same deliciously creamy and smooth Kerrygold block butter, only a little bit softer."Try reading lessons!

lol

they would say that

doh
Original Poster
Better report Kerrygold to ASA then because you are obviously correct and they are lying?
Original Poster
Of course, you could make yourself look a little less idiotic by saying that you thought I was referring to their 'Lighter' butter which IS 25% reduced FAT?
Christ put the handbags down its only butter............Sorry KerryGold Butter.......Jeeeeeez
froze to - 10000
To 89quidyoucantgowrong
I'm about to try morrisons as my new supermarket as I'm fed up with tesco. (plus i've got a £5 off £35 spend voucher) Thanks for the heads up I will try the value butter and hopefully it does taste the same as kerrygold.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions