Morrisons Café free refills YES or NO?

Found 19th Mar
So the other day me and my girlfriend decided to get a coffee at Morrisons as we normally do. We drank our coffee and decided yeah we could do with a refill - so we go back to the machines (just like IKEA where the machines are beyond the tills). We always assumed this was a free refill setup in Morrisons - in a sort of attempt to compete with the boom in coffee shops. So to our surprise a Morrisons staff member jumped out as if we were bank thieves, and tells us there's NO refills... I explained we always do this because of the clear layout of the machines beyond the till area. She said maybe it's store specific but they DO NOT allow this.

Is this the same everywhere? It seems common sense that this would be a free refill system - or are we alone in thinking this??

Could do with the HUKD communities thoughts on this

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You made too many assumptions.

Morrisons right to stop you IMO.

Why should IKEA policy apply to them?
Edited by: "Gollywood" 19th Mar
19 Comments
I don't think any supermarkets do free refills not where I live anyway weatherspoons do a free coffee or tea refills
You made too many assumptions.

Morrisons right to stop you IMO.

Why should IKEA policy apply to them?
Edited by: "Gollywood" 19th Mar
No
Our local one is the same setup
Machines past the tills
I asked rather than just do it as queue was massive as normal
Answer was no free refills so we left as wasn't going to queue for half hour plus again
Nope!
First rule of life - there is nothing free in this life! I learnt that a long time ago.

Unless there is a clear label with the word free or a sign some where with this word, you can not assume anything is free, otherwise you will get a free go to jail card
mutley116 m ago

First rule of life - there is nothing free in this life!

Unless you look at the 'Freebies' section of this site - then there is
Interesting! Well it’s not exactly free because we do actually pay for the empty mug at the till. To fill the mug with coffee will be probably 10p so it’s not exactly a huge loss to them. If they don’t offer it they definitely should rethink that to maybe help get more customers in. I honestly thought it was so obvious that you can get refills because of the layout which mirrors places like IKEA. It’s just very weird to put the machines after the till and ask people to buy empty mugs and just trust you take one drink...
Gollywood2 h, 35 m ago

You made too many assumptions.Morrisons right to stop you IMO.Why should …You made too many assumptions.Morrisons right to stop you IMO.Why should IKEA policy apply to them?

I’m pretty sure it’s just one assumption... But to answer your question - the policy should apply to a cafe layout like that because it’s quite familiar and popular..?
tregs49 m ago

Unless you look at the 'Freebies' section of this site - then there is

no it isn't. to get a freebie you have to exchange your home address and contact details. they don't give away free stuff for nothing. also you will more than likely end up buying their products after the free trial if it is any good, which is the whole point of manufacturers giving out free stuff.

if you really think about it, there is absolutely nothing free in this life, for anything you are given free, (or so you think), there is always a price that you must pay. the payment may not be monetary, but there is a payment alright.
mutley16 m ago

no it isn't. to get a freebie you have to exchange your home address and …no it isn't. to get a freebie you have to exchange your home address and contact details. they don't give away free stuff for nothing. also you will more than likely end up buying their products after the free trial if it is any good, which is the whole point of manufacturers giving out free stuff.if you really think about it, there is absolutely nothing free in this life, for anything you are given free, (or so you think), there is always a price that you must pay. the payment may not be monetary, but there is a payment alright.

Not always
What about things are given away free on the street / train platform. etc?
Edited by: "tregs" 19th Mar
tregs9 m ago

Not always What about things are given away free on the street / train …Not always What about things are given away free on the street / train platform. etc?

you will probably end up buying their products if it is any good. i have had stuff given to me in the street and train stations and i have thought this is rubbish, but i have also been given products that i thought, wow, this is really good and so i ended up buying more of the products, thereby paying back for the free product over time.
Always better to ask than to assume.
mutley19 m ago

you will probably end up buying their products if it is any good.

That's what giving freebies is about.

You don't have to buy. But they are still Free
Local Morrisons has the tea/coffee machines before the till. Always see people going for refills with nothing being said.
June5025 m ago

Local Morrisons has the tea/coffee machines before the till. Always see …Local Morrisons has the tea/coffee machines before the till. Always see people going for refills with nothing being said.

Blimey! Now I’d feel like I’d need to pay for that if it was before the tills... Interesting though!
I don't think any of the regular supermarkets do refills. It would defiantly make sense for them to charge a bit extra for unlimited coffee imo.

Then again you would get the folks who sit there for hours taking up space without buying anything reading papers and using free WiFi etc.
Just asked in the Port Talbot store and they said definitely Nope.. No free refills
mutley119th Mar

First rule of life - there is nothing free in this life! I learnt that a …First rule of life - there is nothing free in this life! I learnt that a long time ago.Unless there is a clear label with the word free or a sign some where with this word, you can not assume anything is free, otherwise you will get a free go to jail card

Oh yes there is something free - air to breathe.. at least... at first impression.

After that, they (the "entrepreneurs" and politicians) do make you pay for the air you breathe too.. one way or another...

They incorporate this hidden tax into your electricity bill, council tax or something and you will still pay something for it.

It is tax the petrol you use for commuting to get to work so you can get taxed and buy food and pay a little bit more tax when you buy it... Yes nothing is free for us common people.

For the elites everything is free as they own us and we work for them each and every day.. even in holiday when we don't work for them, we pay them back via taxes/any expenditure we make.

Yet.. fear of starving to death keeps us nice, quiet and falsely smiling

And about the free coffee... I even had a free coffee voucher given by them when I spent 1 trillion pounds on groceries.

I gave it with a smile to the lady at the till and after a 30 seconds of processing it she gave it back to me with an even nicer smile saying "sorry love, it expired 4 days ago" so I paid the usual £1.85 for my coffee as under the big font "FREE" word, there was a tiny and very quickly expiring date and if you had a microscope on you, you'd be able to read some terms and conditions which state that the coupon actually does not give you anything free :)))
Edited by: "calin1980" 8th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants