Morrisons to axe 1500 jobs as it becomes latest supermarket to make cutbacks

Found 2nd FebEdited by:"m00head"
Community Updates
MiscGroceries
21 Comments
Asda have made cutbacks too but any media coverage i am yet to see.
Your link doesn't appear to work,
This one does (I hope)
m.thegrocer.co.uk/562…led

So losing 1500 gaining 1700.
Obviously not great for some but overall good for employment in the country.
Looks like good news for the customers, not so good for the managers losing their jobs of course.
Fixed link
shadey127 m ago

Your link doesn't appear to work

Fixed it (I think?)
m00head3 m ago

Fixed link Fixed it (I think?)

33185849-oWz3C.jpg
shadey123 m ago

[Image]

It works fine for me, and did the first time round too.

Doesn't on mobile though.
Edited by: "CoeK" 2nd Feb
CoeK4 m ago

It works fine for me, and did the first time round too.Doesn't on mobile …It works fine for me, and did the first time round too.Doesn't on mobile though.

Ok.
shadey1241 m ago

[Image]

That's weird, it seems to start working if you choose 'Desktop site' from the mobile browser menu (3 vertical dots on the top right).
m00head9 m ago

That's weird, it seems to start working if you choose 'Desktop site' from …That's weird, it seems to start working if you choose 'Desktop site' from the mobile browser menu (3 vertical dots on the top right).

No matter, still overall good news?
shadey122 h, 12 m ago

No matter, still overall good news?

The question is, why are all these jobs across multiple major supermarkets suddenly no longer needed? By getting rid of these people are they saying that they have been wasting money for years on meaningless management roles?

I suspect what is really happening is that they are all in the midst of a race-to-the-bottom to try and compete with the likes of Aldi and Lidl who seem to be able to run their stores with just a handful of staff, but pay their staff the most out of all the supermarkets.
Edited by: "m00head" 2nd Feb
Probably been too many promotions over the years, never nice when anybody loses their job but needs must forthem to survive I guess.

They could just blame Brexit like everybody else.
Automated checkouts and no one uses cash, apart from pensioners
Aldi and LIdl are whopping the big supermarkets. Truth is theyve been over charging us for years and until they drop their prices they will be cutting more jobs/ stores
Expensive but crap quality. Only thing I bought from them was the £1 for a box of lemons offer last year
.MUFC.10 h, 38 m ago

Probably been too many promotions over the years, never nice when anybody …Probably been too many promotions over the years, never nice when anybody loses their job but needs must forthem to survive I guess.They could just blame Brexit like everybody else.

Or blame the Equal Pay reporting issues???

If like most big business you management is mainly male then to simply fix the books one could just do what Morrisons and similar have done rather than fix the issue.

bbc.co.uk/new…365
"Gender pay gap figures reported by some firms have been called into question, prompting concerns about "fake data" from campaigners."

Therefore what Morrisons (and others) have now achieved is better pay gap results by reducing middle management (generally male) and getting the shop floor staff (generally female) to do some of their jobs for less money whilst the big bosses and shareholders are still receiving their backhanders.... ooops I mean bonuses
m00head18 h, 49 m ago

The question is, why are all these jobs across multiple major supermarkets …The question is, why are all these jobs across multiple major supermarkets suddenly no longer needed? By getting rid of these people are they saying that they have been wasting money for years on meaningless management roles?I suspect what is really happening is that they are all in the midst of a race-to-the-bottom to try and compete with the likes of Aldi and Lidl who seem to be able to run their stores with just a handful of staff, but pay their staff the most out of all the supermarkets.

Because they're a business and not a charity.
Lidl and Aldi pay more to attract staff who get the job done, I may be wrong but I seem to remember netto staff were some of the best paid staff in retail.
m00head2nd Feb

The question is, why are all these jobs across multiple major supermarkets …The question is, why are all these jobs across multiple major supermarkets suddenly no longer needed? By getting rid of these people are they saying that they have been wasting money for years on meaningless management roles?I suspect what is really happening is that they are all in the midst of a race-to-the-bottom to try and compete with the likes of Aldi and Lidl who seem to be able to run their stores with just a handful of staff, but pay their staff the most out of all the supermarkets.

Middle management roles are mostly meaningless ., non producers , living off the fat , friends and family .. Waste of space . The excess fat has went . Time for them to go with it
plodging24 m ago

Middle management roles are mostly meaningless ., non producers , living …Middle management roles are mostly meaningless ., non producers , living off the fat , friends and family .. Waste of space . The excess fat has went . Time for them to go with it

Carreful, the key in what functions these managers do, if these functions are still there, is quality and quantity reduced, and if fuctions are outsourced to abroad. Worst one is, function still exists, the whole department gone.
plodging31 m ago

Middle management roles are mostly meaningless ., non producers , living …Middle management roles are mostly meaningless ., non producers , living off the fat , friends and family .. Waste of space . The excess fat has went . Time for them to go with it

Middle and top don't think there's much difference they all do jack all other than walk around talk and talk more in meetings and feel proud of themselves when the rest of there team does all the hard work.
MynameisM6 m ago

Middle and top don't think there's much difference they all do jack all …Middle and top don't think there's much difference they all do jack all other than walk around talk and talk more in meetings and feel proud of themselves when the rest of there team does all the hard work.

Hit the nail on the head bud ..they all clipboard warriors
splender20 m ago

Carreful, the key in what functions these managers do, if these functions …Carreful, the key in what functions these managers do, if these functions are still there, is quality and quantity reduced, and if fuctions are outsourced to abroad. Worst one is, function still exists, the whole department gone.

The functions are outsourced ., the jobs are mainly made up to suit a family friend etc .. A company I worked for went from 50 managers in 1000 staff to 120 managers in 450 staff .. Until the competitive edge was lost because they had paid off 600 workers . My pal was on 40k a year and his job was to arrange meetings for management.. No wonder it went belly up and work outsourced
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants