mortgage with a criminal record

LocalFound 1st Aug 2016
This opened up a debate at work today and we can find no concrete answer.

Do lenders check for criminal convictions? I know legally if someone is asked they must declare unspent convictions but what would happen if they didn't? Are they likely to get found out and how would the lender find out unless the applicant disclosed?

Pleas help us with this discussion.

Many thanks
Community Updates
AskMortgage
17 Comments
Mortgage & house insurance will probably ask you have you ever been convicted because of the additional risks associated with fraudsters & thieves. Cant see any other conviction mattering.
You would have to wade through the small print on the agreement ,the chances are it will be there somewhere. Hence if sometime in the future they find out they would immediately void the mortgage and repossess. Best always to be honest (even if you are actually dishonest- criminal conviction ) as I wouldn't like the threat of that hanging over me for 25 years .
Edited by: "rogparki" 2nd Aug 2016
it's possible.
if its fraud related it shows in credit file. for CRB or access NI they need your approval before they can check so must be in small print somewhere as especially for sex offenders I would think they have to be careful where they can sell them houses or may be its other way round and those convicted must disclose as long as they are on register
iibdii

if its fraud related it shows in credit file. for CRB or access NI they … if its fraud related it shows in credit file. for CRB or access NI they need your approval before they can check so must be in small print somewhere as especially for sex offenders I would think they have to be careful where they can sell them houses or may be its other way round and those convicted must disclose as long as they are on register

For CRB or NI? I don't understand
Thanks all. We always recommend honesty as being the best policy but we just weren't sure if they would actually check. What happens if you have a mortgage and then get convicted of an offence, would that change the mortgage terms or do you not need to tell them?
sophieb1986

Thanks all. We always recommend honesty as being the best policy but we … Thanks all. We always recommend honesty as being the best policy but we just weren't sure if they would actually check. What happens if you have a mortgage and then get convicted of an offence, would that change the mortgage terms or do you not need to tell them?

I would have though that as long as you pay the mortgage then it would have no effect. If you get carted off to the big house and can no longer pay then it becomes an issue. Are you planning a bank job OP ?
tallpete33

I would have though that as long as you pay the mortgage then it would … I would have though that as long as you pay the mortgage then it would have no effect. If you get carted off to the big house and can no longer pay then it becomes an issue. Are you planning a bank job OP ?

Ha ha, if I were planning a bank job there would be no mortgage needed!! My reasoning is people have been punished enough so why keep punishing them
criminal justice system likes to keep churning people round and round the system, its a business after all
sophieb1986

For CRB or NI? I don't understand

​they are like police check certificates you need for different things like applying for immigration, jobs involving large cash handling and kids, security jobs etc all cost money and expire in 3 months. I even had to do one for my provisional bus licence
I never got asked anything about my criminal convictions when applying for my mortgage.
They may ask you to declare but anything over 6 years old is spent and therefore you do not have to declare it. Each lender is different
As jspankie says if it spent then you do not need to declare it, truly one good thing of the laws in the UK compared to say the USA, to find out if spent I would suggest even contacting your local police station and just say if person was for example convicted of assault, no jail time but simply a fine how long would it be on a record, different conviction levels stay on for differing time scales hence the phrase life sentence.
ALYMAC76

As jspankie says if it spent then you do not need to declare it, truly … As jspankie says if it spent then you do not need to declare it, truly one good thing of the laws in the UK compared to say the USA, to find out if spent I would suggest even contacting your local police station and just say if person was for example convicted of assault, no jail time but simply a fine how long would it be on a record, different conviction levels stay on for differing time scales hence the phrase life sentence.

​I think it used to be that any prison sentence over three years is never spent so will always have to be declared if asked.
If you have a read at fca.org.uk/fir…ons, you will find the exact law which governs the situation.
just don't get a criminal record. simple.

life gets very difficult if you have a criminal record, not just the mortgage. not that i know from experience as i stay away from convictions (on anything. lol.)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions