Groups

Most airlines now charging for pre-selecting seats?

Just booked a flight with Swiss & Lufthansa (multi-leg flight) and could not believe that both airlines are now asking for additional payment (£25-£32 )to pre-select the seats.

They used to block and sell the seats with extra legroom (which is where it all started from) and to be fair I couldn't see any problem with this.

But, most other seats were left to be selected. However, now they have started charging for it.

I looked at a Austrian and Virgin Atlantic and they also have introduced this charge.

I will be travelling with family and now fear that airlines will try and make life difficult for families travelling with children so that they learn a lesson and cough up the money next time onwards.

10 Comments

guess another way for them to make money.

Original Poster

I am told by both airlines - swiss and lufthansa, that they have no obligation whatsoever to seat the child with the parents.

kaku_lala

I am told by both airlines - swiss and lufthansa, that they have no … I am told by both airlines - swiss and lufthansa, that they have no obligation whatsoever to seat the child with the parents.

never thought any airline had. they obviously put groups together if there are seats, but if you want to ensure that you sit together you had to make sure you were first in the queue at check in, then you had to fight off those who check in on line.

i don't think paying for booking the seat position is a bad idea. this way you can ensure you sit together if it matters to you.

Greedy bar-stewards, with the price of oil now so low you would think that they would be able to lower prices - they raise
    them when the oil price goes up, funny how it only works one way.

Although they shouldn't actually be legally allowed to do that though, as they are not exactly providing a service in allowing the passenger to select their seat.

Next they will be charging you for a seat belt....
    Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 2nd Jan 2015

Never pre booked seats andand aways sat together. If kids were sat separate it would just allow them to be boisterous without parental intervention if that's what the airline wants so be it. Would keep the air stewards busy

Don't pay it - call the airline up after you book and inform them your OH or kid has a tendency to bite strangers only at high altitude. H&S in your face!!

Original Poster

Well, this is no ryanair or easyjet, these are long haul airlines - Swiss, Austrian, Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic.

Not sure, if the like of Eitihad or Emirates have started doing this? Anyone know about any other airlines implementing this charge?

kaku_lala

I am told by both airlines - swiss and lufthansa, that they have no … I am told by both airlines - swiss and lufthansa, that they have no obligation whatsoever to seat the child with the parents.

this is the theory but I have been told in practice they will either make sure you sit with your child when they allocate the seats or the stewardess will move people to ensure you sit with your small child - can you imagine a long flight with a small child sitting on their own - rather cruel!

booked with Saudi with no problem. travel next week. maybe just started this as I booked few months back

usually on the major airlines you can check in online 24hrs before your flight and select the seats you want for free.
    I never pay for seat allocation, and can usually get a seat up front with more legroom (or by an exit if not travelling with my kids) if I check in as soon as possible 24hrs before my flight.
    I've done this recently on BA flight to Scotland
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Customer Service from Giffgaff worth £60???55
      2. Baby seat hiring car abroad67
      3. Dashcam question59
      4. Need help with buying a 4K TV for gaming59

See more discussions