Expired

Most economical (and reliable!) car for under £2000?

Found 22nd May 2013
Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice here if anyone could shed some light. Ive got a new job starting in August and I will be commuting 20-25 each day and the car I run at the moment (a 1.0 lol!) is not very good with economy. I was thinking maybe a small diesel like a Clio 1.5dci or a Peugeot 206 1.4hdi which can be had for under £2000. They claim an avwerage of 50-55mpg which sounds soooo good. But is it too good to be true?Also road tax is only £30 a year But Ive heard of some reliability problems with older diesels?

So basically:
1) Petrol or diesel?
2) Advice from anyone with a small diesel pre 2003/04 about economy.

Thanks guys. (and girls!)
Community Updates
AskCar
14 Comments
I would stick to a petrol, the reason being is that a diesel can be exspensive is it goes wrong and with only 25 miles a day you wont really get the benefit because dieseld chew fuel untill they warm up. I do a commute of the same distance and i went for a toyota yaris. It cost me £900 with 85k on the clock and it runs like a dream. I average between 48 - 52 mpg and parts if it does ever go wrong are sooooo cheap.

hopzuk

I would stick to a petrol, the reason being is that a diesel can be … I would stick to a petrol, the reason being is that a diesel can be exspensive is it goes wrong and with only 25 miles a day you wont really get the benefit because dieseld chew fuel untill they warm up. I do a commute of the same distance and i went for a toyota yaris. It cost me £900 with 85k on the clock and it runs like a dream. I average between 48 - 52 mpg and parts if it does ever go wrong are sooooo cheap.

Thanks mate. Ill defo look more into petrol. Whats your engine size on the Yaris?
deals234

Thanks mate. Ill defo look more into petrol. Whats your engine size on … Thanks mate. Ill defo look more into petrol. Whats your engine size on the Yaris?

Its a 1l the same as you have now but is really good on fuel providing you dont drive it like you stole it ;o)
I originally had a 1.2 petrol and found that it was damn expensive in petrol! I much like yourself was only doing 15-20 mile commutes daily. I would average less than 35mpg, eventually I purchased a 1.2 diesel and I averaged almost 60mpg! I was amazed!

Now I drive a 1.6 diesel and still average around 50mpg. Personally, I'd say stick with diesel!
hopzuk

Its a 1l the same as you have now but is really good on fuel providing … Its a 1l the same as you have now but is really good on fuel providing you dont drive it like you stole it ;o)

I actually went from a 1.6 litre to a 1.0l VW Polo and I have to admit it was difficult at first. But with time Ive managed to adjust. Where I live there are alot of blind junctions and you really need to thrash it when coming out a junction so you dont have an accident lol! Plus at times I might have people in the car, thats why I dont think I can cope with a 1.0l anymore. Its actually fine on the motorway but over 60mph you can tell the engine dosent like it. It will sit at 70mph though (bit noisy!).
ornge523

I originally had a 1.2 petrol and found that it was damn expensive in … I originally had a 1.2 petrol and found that it was damn expensive in petrol! I much like yourself was only doing 15-20 mile commutes daily. I would average less than 35mpg, eventually I purchased a 1.2 diesel and I averaged almost 60mpg! I was amazed!Now I drive a 1.6 diesel and still average around 50mpg. Personally, I'd say stick with diesel!

Looking at figures on paper for average mpg for petrol vs diesel its 30mg vs 50mpg.Obviously once the miles start to pile up I will see a nice saving with the diesel (and the Vehicle Excise Duty too). But its the reliability im worried about too. Any models you would recommend for under £2000?
I've found that diesel engines are a lot tougher than petrol, so I wouldn't worry about reliability. Take a look at the vauxhall corsa + astra, ford fiesta and peugeot 206 (possibly 207 but its more expensive). Diesel models of these cars are generally excellent and provide good mpg.

Plus seeing as with a 2k budget, the car is not going to be a '13 plate, as it will be older, the parts will be easier and cheaper to find (incase something goes wrong).
ornge523

I've found that diesel engines are a lot tougher than petrol, so I … I've found that diesel engines are a lot tougher than petrol, so I wouldn't worry about reliability. Take a look at the vauxhall corsa + astra, ford fiesta and peugeot 206 (possibly 207 but its more expensive). Diesel models of these cars are generally excellent and provide good mpg.Plus seeing as with a 2k budget, the car is not going to be a '13 plate, as it will be older, the parts will be easier and cheaper to find (incase something goes wrong).

thanks for your help and input, really appreciate it.
No problem
Wife used to have a Clio diesel, it was very reliable and returned 55mpg when she used it for her job as a driving instructor . The Yaris is a good shout to anything Japanese is generally very reliable in my 20+ years of driving.
I do 20 miles a day (10 there.10 back) warms up in about a mile or so I definitely get 48-52 out of a 05 Vauxhall Astra Estate 1.7 Diesel tdi smooth and enough torque probably do more mpg on motorways if you aren't tempted to boot it a bit I get bored so do a bit high gear revs down light throttle works for me.It's been pretty reliable in the 3 years i've had it.Starter motor only thing that packed in due cambelt now. Diesels require more frequent oil and filter changes to keep them sweet but they wil motor on for 200.000 miles+ if looked after.
Niece has a 1.4 C3 which is doing her sterling service and is very economical 60+ town running was expected when she bought it 3 months back allegedly 70 + on the internet for it.
Best of luck.8)
thanks guys, Im going for the small diesel.
Get yourself a tidy diesel VW Golf, cant go wrong really
hopzuk

I would stick to a petrol, the reason being is that a diesel can be … I would stick to a petrol, the reason being is that a diesel can be exspensive is it goes wrong and with only 25 miles a day you wont really get the benefit because dieseld chew fuel untill they warm up. I do a commute of the same distance and i went for a toyota yaris. It cost me £900 with 85k on the clock and it runs like a dream. I average between 48 - 52 mpg and parts if it does ever go wrong are sooooo cheap.

I've got the very same car, 55 plate. I get about 41mpg in town according to the computer. It's funny because I payed the same amount with the same mileage lol.

The build quality of the Yaris is excellent, there is a lot of space inside and plenty of cup holders I don't really do much miles on the car but I'm impressed with the mpg your getting!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants